2020 MLB Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

devils1854

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, I'm not happy that they are drafting at all, neverthless that they take a good player.  

Also, **** the Angels for taking Calabrese.  

Calabrese will probably go underslot there, so its a perfect Moreno pick. They really do like their outfielders in the 2-5 rounds.

15 hours ago, Eagles27 said:

O's finally draft a high upside prep. 

But that was still not nearly enough.  Such a wasted opportunity for them.  

15 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Taking Tanner Witt at 126 and giving him 1.5 mil is the only thing going to keep me from flipping my **** as a Braves fan.

Yeah, that's not a very fun draft at all for the Braves.  

15 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Calabrese will probably go underslot there, so its a perfect Moreno pick. They really do like their outfielders in the 2-5 rounds.

Which pisses me off even more.  Sigh. Again, I know I'm higher on that kid than I should be, but I can't help it.

14 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Luke Little, the 105 mph man, potentially getting 500k from the Cubs is very interesting.

I would hate to be a hitter with him on the mound.  105 and no idea where it's going.  Still, that was a fun roll of the dice.  

14 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

Thoughts on the marlins draft class so far? 

I'm assuming Meyer took less than either Martin or Lacy at 3, which is why he went there.  The savings likely did allow for Fulton though, who would have been in the conversation for top prep pitcher before TJS.  I don't love it, as I had both Martin and Lacy ranked a fair bit higher than Meyer, but I get it.  

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

But that was still not nearly enough.  Such a wasted opportunity for them.  

Curious which opportunity(or opportunities) you feel they missed. Not taking Martin, as many seemed to think they would? Not springing for one of the higher-end tough sign guys like Kelley or Wilcox? Both?

If the draft had ended after round 3, I definitely would have agreed with you. But they cleaned up in the last two rounds, which makes me feel better about their overall plan. Mayo and Baumler are pretty high end talents to add to a draft class.

Clearly they felt it was better to diversify in this draft. Which, given the relative lack of information on these players and the resulting uncertainty, seems perhaps wise to me. They evidently didn’t feel comfortable putting too many eggs in one basket — whether that basket was Martin at #2 or one of the tough sign HS kids at #30/#39. 

I always like to hear your input, so if you get a chance, let me know where you think they really dropped the ball — early or later on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I always like to hear your input, so if you get a chance, let me know where you think they really dropped the ball — early or later on?

I mean, that's not really how it works. They were picking #2 overall and took a top 10ish kind of guy by public rankings. That isn't indefensible if they wanted to cut a deal to spend big later on, but then the spending never came.

It's more that  the O's had an opportunity to make a serious investment in their farm system above what they did by splashing cash, and they chose not to. Since that money could be spent on any round, fairly or not, it taints the whole draft since every pick you're thinking "well they could have gotten this guy instead".

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean, that's not really how it works. They were picking #2 overall and took a top 10ish kind of guy by public rankings. That isn't indefensible if they wanted to cut a deal to spend big later on, but then the spending never came.

It's more that  the O's had an opportunity to make a serious investment in their farm system above what they did by splashing cash, and they chose not to. Since that money could be spent on any round, fairly or not, it taints the whole draft since every pick you're thinking "well they could have gotten this guy instead".

Mayo and Baumler were both significant overslots.

It’s not like they just ate that pool money. They just sat on it until the 4th and 5th rounds, where they took a couple tough sign/big talent HS kids who most people assumed were locked in to their college commitments.

Edited by e16bball

11 hours ago, e16bball said:

Mayo and Baumler were both significant overslots.

It’s not like they just ate that pool money. They just sat on it until the 4th and 5th rounds, where they took a couple tough sign/big talent HS kids who most people assumed were locked in to their college commitments.

and the mlb draft doesnt work like other ones. The reason why its acceptable to most to play those money games instead of taking the highest rated player is because its takes so long to develop these guys, so much can go wrong in the 2-4 years it takes to get to the majors and the bust rate is fairly high. its not like in the nfl or nba where the top talent is fairly straight forward. WAY more than any other sport, trying to judge a draft in the present is foolish, as I said, theres so much developmental time and projection involved. 

Look at the drafts between 07-16 for example. The only reason i picked 16 is thats a reasonable amount of time to get to the bigs, each of these drafts are littered with guys in the first who never made it, had cups of coffee or got there but are just awful. THeres literally a hundred examples like this but was Matt Hobgood considered a good pick at the time? I really dont know so im genuinely asking, also, who is Matt Hobgood? How about Beau Mills?

Here are my 5 favorite and 5 least favorite drafts. Im just looking into the talent they are bringing into the system from a prospect point of view.

1.San Diego

The Padres are saying they can get the money to give Wilcox 3 million to keep from going back to Georgia. If they can do that, they will have two top 15 players in the draft and Lange, who popped up this spring hitting triple digits. 

2.Detroit

Detroit needed bats in the system. Their first five picks were college hitters. I love the strategy. I think they got good value where they picked Dingler, Cabrera, Cruz, and Workman. Colt Keith is a interesting project in the fifth.

3.NY Mets

I think the Mets got a top 5 prospect in the draft at 19. They are inserting a top 100 player straight into their system. Ginn was potentially a top 10 guy this draft before his injury, and Greene is a very raw, but talented kid. They would be higher, but I dont like anything after the first three picks.

4.Chicago Cubs

I love the Howard pick. Another guy that could have went top 10 with a full season. He's going to have some pressure as a hometown kid. Calloway is the best reliever in the draft and you dont label him as a high leverage reliever. He is a closer. Maybe a tad high, but he can be in a pen in 2020. Nwogu has so many tools. Could be special if he puts it together, and Little can hit 105 on the gun.

5.Milwaukee

Even if the bat doesnt come around, you still have two plus tools in defense and speed for Mitchell, so he is worth the gamble at 20. Zamora was a potential first rounder this year before his injury, and I love that the Brewers announced Zavier Warren as a catcher. He hasnt played the position in college, but with his skill set, he could be very valuable if he can do it. 

1.Atlanta

This is about as close to punting a draft as you can get. Everyone expected cheap college signs with the first two picks, then high upside high schoolers with the savings, like in 2019, but that didnt happen. Not a single player drafted will be in the organization top 20 this year. 

2.Cleveland

The Indians took three high school position players. Tucker was taken because he was determined to go first day and will take 1-1.5 mil. Low ceiling. I feel the same with Halpin and Tolentino. All three are athletic enough to stay at short or center, but I think major changes much happen for them to hit enough. The three college pitchers taken have low ceilings as well and I see Burns and Allen as relievers, and Hickman is back of the rotation at best. 

3.Kansas City

Lacy is a good pick. I didnt have him top three, but its good value at #3. They had picks at 32 and 41 and had a chance to really infuse a system that got beat up a lot in 2019 by under performance, and they blew it. I do not believe in Loftin. I dont think he hits enough to get to the majors. Hernandez probably could have been had a lot later. The last two college pitchers they took are pen bound.

4.Boston

This is all because of Yorke in the first. I didnt have him being taken in all five rounds. He has no position at the moment because of his arm and the bat might have come around, but looking at this as players looking to boost a system, and he isnt going to move the needle at the moment. Boston might have found a gem, but we wont know for a while. I love Blaze in the 3rd, and they announced him as a 3rd baseman. Thats interesting.

5.Texas

I love Foscue. I think he has a lot of value for Texas. He can be a real offensive force in Arlington. After that, Im not excited by any of their picks, and they have been really bad at developing high schoolers the past few years, so I dont really trust their evaluations when they take these guys earlier than people think.