Week 12 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

After pretty much blowing everyone out for a big stretch of the season, we have been in three consecutive tight games where it has come down to Jimmy G making plays at the end of the game. Didn't deliver against Seattle, but was able to deliver against the Cardinals both games. Not the worst of things to be in these tight games as we will almost surely be in them in the postseason. Jimmy needs to continue to deliver in those situations. Wasn't the best of starts, but we rallied and got the huge win with our brutal upcoming schedule coming up.

On to GB. They are coming off a bye week and nice win over the Panthers the week prior. Our run game has been pretty much nonexistent minus the Panthers game in the last six or so games, but this is the game to get back on track. I don't think the Packers will stack the box like AZ/SEA did, and that will hopefully allow Coleman/Mostert/Breida to get off like they did in the beginning of the year. It looks like Kittle has a much better chance of returning this week and we have definitely missed his him the last few weeks. The offense just isn't the same and he is the one true game changer we have offensively. 

Defensively I do worry about Aaron Jones, especially in the passing game. Heck, even Williams. We don't have Kwon anymore and this is where he excelled in. We will be without Ford in all likelihood and that's a big loss as he's been awesome rushing the passer and even more importantly, our third DE Blair is out for the season. That just means more time for Thomas/Moore on the edge. Thomas had a really strong three game stretch but lately has cooled off some, but this would be a good game for him to put some heat on Rodgers. Bakhtiari has been one of the best LTs in the game for some time and Bosa will have a tough task on Sunday. But I don't think they will chip him like SEA/AZ did and he will have plenty of one on one opportunities. Buckner/Armstead need to be game wreckers this game. Our secondary matches up pretty well against the Packers receivers and I think Spoon gets the starting job back this week. E-Man was awesome, but the last few weeks we started to see him get beat some and allow some big gains on 3rd down. If he is still the starter, then no worries as he should still be fine. Our safeties have to play very disciplined and need to take away the big play from the Packers offense. If we do that, I think we will be fine. 

This will be another great test for this team but I see with Kittle's return and the team not playing on a short week after an emotional game, a much better performance than we have seen the last few weeks.

SF 31 GB 17

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm expecting us to do what LAC did to them a few weeks back. Stop the run, drop 7 back, and pressure A rod with four. Also history is on our side as Arod has only beaten the BAD 49ers teams.

27-13, US. 

I mean let's be real, we have hardly been good during Rodgers tenure in GB LOL. Literally a three year stretch where went 4-0 against GB, but then the rest of the time we have been terrible minus this season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean let's be real, we have hardly been good during Rodgers tenure in GB LOL. Literally a three year stretch where went 4-0 against GB, but then the rest of the time we have been terrible minus this season.

And I know last year was with a different staff but they literally beat us on the last drive of the game too...sooooo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

And I know last year was with a different staff but they literally beat us on the last drive of the game too...sooooo

Well yeah, but Beathard up until the 4th quarter was actually REALLY good that game....Then did what Beathard does and completely craps the bed in any tight game. 

• Like 1

Moseley, an undrafted second-year player from Tennessee, has been targeted 32 times and surrendered 19 catches for 248 yards with one touchdown and one interception with four pass breakups, according to Pro Football Focus.

Witherspoon got off to a great start through three games, allowing just six receptions on 19 targets for 148 yards with one touchdown and one interception and three passes defensed.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/ahkello-witherspoon-expected-back-starting-lineup-vs-packers

And PFF gave him 47 yard reception to Boyd....Which should have been Williams instead. So for 5 catches allowed on 18 attempts as far as I'm concerned. 

A lot of people are on the Moseley train, and right fully so. Hes' been amazing for the most part, but he's not better than Spoon. The last few weeks we have started to see Moseley allow some catches, especially on 3rd downs.But I could already imagine if Spoon allows anything, fans will turn on quickly and say, "see, Moseley should still be the starter!!!" 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/ahkello-witherspoon-expected-back-starting-lineup-vs-packers

And PFF gave him 47 yard reception to Boyd....Which should have been Williams instead. So for 5 catches allowed on 18 attempts as far as I'm concerned. 

A lot of people are on the Moseley train, and right fully so. Hes' been amazing for the most part, but he's not better than Spoon. The last few weeks we have started to see Moseley allow some catches, especially on 3rd downs.But I could already imagine if Spoon allows anything, fans will turn on quickly and say, "see, Moseley should still be the starter!!!" 

1st play of the game, Spoon gives up a catch. CUT HIM!

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Couple this with the league's best pass rush and we may suffocate the Packers' offense. The key will be stopping Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

This is great to hear. The Packers have one of the league's tallest receiving corps. We need Spoon's height on the field. With that being said, I still want to see E-man on the field a bunch because that dude has earned over and over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Against the Cards and 'Hawks, we played alot of bail coverage, where we wanted all eyes in the backfield...to contain Murray's running ability and to see the RPO action. Can't compare Moseley numbers to Spoon straight up w/o considering the QBs he faced. He faced Murray twice and Wilson, two QBs who you don't want to play alot of Cover 1 considering their running ability so we played 'soft' off coverage with alot of zone. If Spoon had a played a majority of snaps versus those two QBs, he would have given up some catches too...just the nature of the gameplan. 

And I expect Spoon to take some lumps on his return. Just the nature of playing a highly physical sport and him being inactive for 6 weeks. Nothing I would be too concerned though.

But Moseley's play was nothing short of eye-opening tbh. We're talking about a second year UDFA who had zero experience entering the year and he played like a high level starter for 6 weeks. Aside from one play against Isabella in the first Cards game, I'd argue he played better than Sherm for the majority of his starting stint. Teams targeted him and he was up to task everytime. I'm not going to get into who is better. But Moseley makes the argument alot closer than some want to admit. Kid has the goods. And he can plat the slot too, which makes him more valuable schematically. If he can continue to stay healthy and gain experience, we may be well on our way to having two of the best young CB duos in the league. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Against the Cards and 'Hawks, we played alot of bail coverage, where we wanted all eyes in the backfield...to contain Murray's running ability and to see the RPO action. Can't compare Moseley numbers to Spoon straight up w/o considering the QBs he faced. He faced Murray twice and Wilson, two QBs who you don't want to play alot of Cover 1 considering their running ability so we played 'soft' off coverage with alot of zone. If Spoon had a played a majority of snaps versus those two QBs, he would have given up some catches too...just the nature of the gameplan. 

And I expect Spoon to take some lumps on his return. Just the nature of playing a highly physical sport and him being inactive for 6 weeks. Nothing I would be too concerned though.

But Moseley's play was nothing short of eye-opening tbh. We're talking about a second year UDFA who had zero experience entering the year and he played like a high level starter for 6 weeks. Aside from one play against Isabella in the first Cards game, I'd argue he played better than Sherm for the majority of his starting stint. Teams targeted him and he was up to task everytime. I'm not going to get into who is better. But Moseley makes the argument alot closer than some want to admit. Kid has the goods. And he can plat the slot too, which makes him more valuable schematically. If he can continue to stay healthy and gain experience, we may be well on our way to having two of the best young CB duos in the league. 

Nah, the types of receptions he was allowing had to do with just his technique or just getting beat. Like he has one flaw where he allows a lot of slants with his technique. And then he allowed a big crosser to Cooper on Sunday which just happens....Btw, hell of a throw by Murray! 

What I've loved about Moseley is how he plays the deep ball and doesn't panic one bit even when the receiver has a step on him. That is very impressive, even with him being so young. Definitely happy about his future and him pairing up with Spoon for hopefully the next few years. 

Edit: Crock breaks it down here:

But aside from that small flaw, he's been so so good. Hoping Saleh finds ways to get him on the field.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2