Bill O'Brien or Jason Garrett

Texansfan713

Who is the best HC in Texas?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best HC in Texas?

• Bill O'Brien
    • Jason Garrett

Who would you rather have as hc.  I am having this debate with Cowboys fans I know.  They want Garrett fired and Texans fans want Bill O'Brien fired. 

Garrett

9 seasons

83-64 W/L record

3 division titles

2-3 in playoffs

O'Brien

6 seasons

49-42 W/L record

3 division titles

1-2 in playoffs

I personally think Garrett the better HC.  He has had 2 seasons better than any of O'Brien's seasons and at the time the NFC East was harder than the AFC South.

Edited by Texansfan713

I'd go BOB. For all of his flaws (poor time management, placing ego above talent, being a dictator) BOB has done more with bad players than Garrett does with good players for most of his career. And I'm not talking about win-loss. I'm talking about setting up schemes in such a way that many of the team's players have been interchangeable. Even with a cruddy OL, questionable at best QB play and a lack of weapons outside of Nuk for years, the Texans made the playoffs multiple times. Then, when they got Watson, O'Brien completely re-wrote the offensive scheme midway through the 2017 season and it was amazing. This team has had awful injury luck with star players for years (outside of Nuk) with JJ Watt, Jadeveon Clowney, and Deshaun Watson missing time, with other good contributors like Whitney Mercilus, Andre Hal, and Derek Newton going down for extended periods of time. I hate BOB, but he's done a lot of good things. Heck, he won a playoff game with Brock Osweiler (against XFL star Connor Cook, no less). He just hasn't gotten this team over the hump. But from a team building and personnel perspective, let's face it - he's been dealt a bad hand for a long time. And becoming the GM finally allowed him to add pieces and give this team a much-needed injection of talent, but the future of this team is screwed over. Yes, he's made a lot of mistakes, and absolutely should be fired unless he can win a playoff game this season, but let's face it - he's probably the best HC in Texans history. He's a jerk though.

Jason Garrett, meanwhile, has pretty much always had talent on his team and has had amazing roster talent at times. He's an "offensive-minded" head coach that's not the offensive playcaller, and when he was, it was the players making plays, not the scheme. When players have gone down, the team has gotten trashed, outside of the runningback position. For years, they've had at least one elite skill player, one of the best offensive lines in football, and a good front seven. He can't maintain the respect of players, and has seemed like he lost the locker room at times. He's not good at coaching.

• Like 3

On 11/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, HoboRocket said:

I'd go BOB. For all of his flaws (poor time management, placing ego above talent, being a dictator) BOB has done more with bad players than Garrett does with good players for most of his career. And I'm not talking about win-loss. I'm talking about setting up schemes in such a way that many of the team's players have been interchangeable. Even with a cruddy OL, questionable at best QB play and a lack of weapons outside of Nuk for years, the Texans made the playoffs multiple times. Then, when they got Watson, O'Brien completely re-wrote the offensive scheme midway through the 2017 season and it was amazing. This team has had awful injury luck with star players for years (outside of Nuk) with JJ Watt, Jadeveon Clowney, and Deshaun Watson missing time, with other good contributors like Whitney Mercilus, Andre Hal, and Derek Newton going down for extended periods of time. I hate BOB, but he's done a lot of good things. Heck, he won a playoff game with Brock Osweiler (against XFL star Connor Cook, no less). He just hasn't gotten this team over the hump. But from a team building and personnel perspective, let's face it - he's been dealt a bad hand for a long time. And becoming the GM finally allowed him to add pieces and give this team a much-needed injection of talent, but the future of this team is screwed over. Yes, he's made a lot of mistakes, and absolutely should be fired unless he can win a playoff game this season, but let's face it - he's probably the best HC in Texans history. He's a jerk though.

Jason Garrett, meanwhile, has pretty much always had talent on his team and has had amazing roster talent at times. He's an "offensive-minded" head coach that's not the offensive playcaller, and when he was, it was the players making plays, not the scheme. When players have gone down, the team has gotten trashed, outside of the runningback position. For years, they've had at least one elite skill player, one of the best offensive lines in football, and a good front seven. He can't maintain the respect of players, and has seemed like he lost the locker room at times. He's not good at coaching.

^This^^^^!!!

Garrett had two more better seasons statistically sure, but you need to really dive into the time O'Brien has had in Houston. Winning the division repeatedly with players like Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer, Osweiler, players that aren't good enough to even be considered third-string now and some of them (e.g Mallet) being out of a job in the NFL for a long time really does speak to his ability as a HC, the only issue is that he isn't consistent and makes stupid, stupid decisions, (most recent ones I can think of is throwing flag at CMC catch and that Hop throw in the redzone.) He has never improved upon that ever, he should get fired 100% if we dont get to the divisional round this year.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 4:29 PM, HoboRocket said:

I'd go BOB. For all of his flaws (poor time management, placing ego above talent, being a dictator) BOB has done more with bad players than Garrett does with good players for most of his career. 

All anyone needs to know. 

18 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I’d like to see Garrett with a whole season of Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler, etc...

I don’t think highly of either, but they’ve had similar success in spite of Garrett having much more talent overall. Id go BoB as long as it didn’t necessitate having him oust my GM and trade away all my picks.

59 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’d like to see Garrett with a whole season of Brian Hoyer, Brock Osweiler, etc...

My counter to this would be the state of the AFCS in that timeframe. I mean, the Jags and Titans were dumpster fires during the early parts of the BOB tenure, and have only emerged as challengers recently.

I think NYG and Washington have traditionally been middle of the pack teams, right? Philly is some really good competetive, akin to the Colts with Andrew Luck...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

My counter to this would be the state of the AFCS in that timeframe. I mean, the Jags and Titans were dumpster fires during the early parts of the BOB tenure, and have only emerged as challengers recently.

I think NYG and Washington have traditionally been middle of the pack teams, right? Philly is some really good competetive, akin to the Colts with Andrew Luck...

BoB went 9-7 the first two seasons, getting a WC in the first (second place to the Luck Colts) and winning the division in the second (largely due to Luck missing half the season). This was with Fitz/Keenum, before his third 9-7 season now with Osweiler, barely edging out the Titans and Colts again. Team bottomed out in 2017, with up seasons from the Jags/Titans. In 18, they beat a Luck-Colts team and 9-7 Titans team. 

The Cowboys were stuck in 8-8 mode before Murray’s breakout, where they beat out a Foles/Sanchez led Eagles team with Chip Kelly at the helm. Without Romo the following year, the Boys hit rock bottom and the Kirk Cousins/Gruden Redskins took the division. Bounced back in 16, surpassing a Giants team with a real solid defense. Missed the playoffs at 9-7, while the SB winning Eagles took the NFCE, then won the division the following year against an Eagles team that lost some of it’s magic. 

So I’d say you could probably say the NFCE was tougher overall, but the AFCS still had some tough teams (Titans with Murray/great OL, Jags with elite defense, Luck Colts a few times, etc. Doesn’t measure up to the SB winning Eagles team but I’d say on par with the Cousins Redskins or revamped Giants squads. 

Factoring Romo/Dak to Keenum/Hoyer/Savage/Osweiler, the difference in line play, and talent running the ball - I’m leaning way in the Boys’ favor. The Cowboys never had Watt or Hopkins, but both the defense and receiving groups have been upgraded in recent years. Verdict: I’d say BoB has only slightly been underachieving as a whole (or outright overachieving with those groups that had JAGs as quarterbacks) while Garrett has pretty much just consistently rode the talent to wherever it’s taken him.

18 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t think highly of either, but they’ve had similar success in spite of Garrett having much more talent overall. Id go BoB as long as it didn’t necessitate having him oust my GM and trade away all my picks.

We have, they got Zeke Elliott out of it.