Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, uk9erfan said:

Can't remember who mentioned it earlier but the real difficulty in containing Jackson in the running game is how difficult it is to tell who's actually got the ball at the hand-off. The Ravens do a brilliant job of disguising this and it confuses and throws off the timing of the defense. 

I hope someone goes back to count em. This game was local so I won't have sunday ticket replay ability... but my guess is the D bought into a RB handoff 32 times out of the 39  qb/rb snaps. 

giphy.gif

Just now, straighthate said:

I don’t know stats for the year, but at least today it seemed like 80% of the time the QB kept the ball. Would have loved to have seen Armstead accidentally go straight at Lamar and hit him rather than going after the RB each time. 

Yeah I wasn't able to watch today's game but was basing my opinion on previous ravens games. But yes that's exactly what must have happened with AA today and I'm not surprised a bit. 

2 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I don’t know stats for the year, but at least today it seemed like 80% of the time the QB kept the ball. Would have loved to have seen Armstead accidentally go straight at Lamar and hit him rather than going after the RB each time. 

But then he wouldn't have been doing his job. It's all about playing sound assignments and doing your job. When you had our LBs guessing wrong and getting away from their gap lanes, that's when he really killed us with his legs. #51 and #57 are young, but they got schooled a bit today. Need to be better if we see a part two. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I hope someone goes back to count em. This game was local so I won't have sunday ticket replay ability... but my guess is the D bought into a RB handoff 32 times out of the 39  qb/rb snaps. 

giphy.gif

Yep and all the teams have to respect this or Ingram will gash them. It's a really effective strategy and no one has worked it out... yet! 

MIN over SEA on MNF, LA over SEA next week SNF, SF take care of business against NO, we're back in the #1 seed. In this scenario we're 11-2, NO is 10-3, SEA is 9-4. And heck, if LA wins today and next sunday + SEA loses today and to LA, suddenly SEA is only 1 game ahead of LA for a playoff spot 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, uk9erfan said:

Yep and all the teams have to respect this or Ingram will gash them. It's a really effective strategy and no one has worked it out... yet! 

Hope someone can look closely at all the snaps, and see how many holding flags were conveniently overlooked... for the glory of the remarkable "QB" that is Lamar. Either way, it's just foul. Cheat codes are FOUL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But then he wouldn't have been doing his job. It's all about playing sound assignments and doing your job. When you had our LBs guessing wrong and getting away from their gap lanes, that's when he really killed us with his legs. #51 and #57 are young, but they got schooled a bit today. Need to be better if we see a part two. 

And it's that disguising that is taking advantage of players sticking to their assignments. Wonder if Belichick will figure something out if they meet again on the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Hope someone can look closely at all the snaps, and see how many holding flags were conveniently overlooked... for the glory of the remarkable "QB" that is Lamar. Either way, it's just foul. Cheat codes are FOUL.

Yeah it's not my type of pro football I have to say, too much like college stuff but it really could take them to the Super Bowl. And he can throw well if he's given time and you can see he reads a defense so he can only get better. Barring injury I think he has a long term future in this league. 

5 minutes ago, uk9erfan said:

And it's that disguising that is taking advantage of players sticking to their assignments. Wonder if Belichick will figure something out if they meet again on the playoffs. 

You HAVE to win on early downs against them. If not, then you are pretty much done. But if you can force them on 3rd and medium or long? You have a chance. Jackson has passed the ball much better this season but he's still not GREAT in that area. They pretty much had zero chance of getting anything big against our pass defense. The Patriots can match us with their secondary. Guess it will come down to if their LBs can hang like Warner can. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep. I was watching him closely after @y2lamanaki brought up the idea if possibly letting Staley go next year to afford AA, so I wanted to get a good look, and I thought he played very well in both pass pro and in the run game. 

I was just telling a friend of mine that if Brunskill puts together two back-to-back games, against these two defenses and shows well, it may very well mean Staley doesn't play out his contract. Hard to ignore how good he looks and how cheap he is currently.

Still don't think AA will be brought back. just speculating here but I think they're either going to pay either him or DeFo. They're not gonna pay both and I think they've already made that decision internal. But I think DeFo is the guy they're gonna hitch they're wagon to. I think that money they save from moving on from Staley will be used elsewhere.

Edited by 757-NINER

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

CHEAP arse team. Can't do it real style. 

I actually just came in here to say good game cause I know a lot of the niners fans on here and you guys have a bunch of excellent posters. Was actually at the game. Was surprised how well you guys travel, but the weather conditions made for a less than ideal offensive showing. All that said, I wouldn't be mad at a rematch this season. 

As for the comment I've quoted, I really only got one thing to say in response to nonsense like that:

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I totally understand that. The problem was the linebackers, not the D line for the most part. But, I think a 300+ lbs lineman running straight at you as you fake leads to some apprehension on future fakes. If each time he bounced outside Bosa or Armstead hit him, he may not sell the fake as much later in the game. 

I’m not talking dirty hits, I’m talking go straight after the guy making the fake. That’s what neutralizes the RPO in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I actually just came in here to say good game cause I know a lot of the niners fans on here and you guys have a bunch of excellent posters. Was actually at the game. Was surprised how well you guys travel, but the weather conditions made for a less than ideal offensive showing. All that said, I wouldn't be mad at a rematch this season. 

As for the comment I've quoted, I really only got one thing to say in response to nonsense like that:

giphy.gif

To be fair, Oldman was against our offense in 2012 when Kaepernick took over the offense. Don't take too much offense to the comment lol.

So all this talk about Brunskill and he's been good, but the last two games McGlinchey has been DAMN good himself and dominant in the run game. Looks like he got the rust off and he's back to his normal self. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To be fair, Oldman was against our offense in 2012 when Kaepernick took over the offense. Don't take too much offense to the comment lol.

So all this talk about Brunskill and he's been good, but the last two games McGlinchey has been DAMN good himself and dominant in the run game. Looks like he got the rust off and he's back to his normal self. 

I’m not a fan of the RPO offense either. Just not my style of football. And history will show that quarterbacks who can’t figure out how to be a pocket passer typically get figured out (or hurt) within a year or two. 

That said, it’s disappointing we let it beat us, but we were beat fair and square. There were some penalties (and lack there of) that I felt like hurt us, but I’m guessing the Ravens fanbase looks at the PI on 4th down and the lack of a PI call on Ward’s breakup and say they got screwed too. 

• Like 3

All this talk of this being a SB preview or NE getting there, I still think the Chiefs have as good of a chance as anyone in the AFC. Their defense is starting to play much better and we know what their offense can do. The fact they will likely play BAL or NE in the divisional round is crazy.