Eagles extend RT Lane Johnson; (4 years, $72 M, $55.56 Gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

But why? I can't wait to see the breakdown. Average of 18mil per year for a RT....

because there's no significant difference between LT and RT anymore. The nfl pass rush meta evolved at the start of the decade and people don't seem to realize this.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gmen said:

How old is Peters? Will Johnson move to LT eventually or is he a career RT at this point?

They drafted Andre Dillard, so unless the plan is to move him to RT, I don't think Johnson is going anywhere.

So much of OL play is all about footwork and hand usage - moving from LT to RT throws off technique, and you could be setting up for disaster by messing with that.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They drafted Andre Dillard, so unless the plan is to move him to RT, I don't think Johnson is going anywhere.

So much of OL play is all about footwork and hand usage - moving from LT to RT throws off technique, and you could be setting up for disaster by messing with that.

Absolutely no reason to swap them both around, they each play better where they are right now. Andre Dillard struggled when he needed to come in, in a pinch this past Sunday at RT

Word on the street is JP might move to Left Guard next season (the one O-Line spot that has been shaky over the years for us). Even if he's aging, that shouldn't be a downgrade when he's healthy.

• Like 1

You also have to remember when Lane got popped for PED’s it voided all of the guarantees in his long term deal he signed a couple years ago. Then this year they restructured him and moved all that no guaranteed base salary to bonus money to create cap room. So likely he had a huge guaranteed cap number coming up next year. Instead of restructuring him again, Howie just redid his deal so they could spread the guarantees out 

3 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

But why? I can't wait to see the breakdown. Average of 18mil per year for a RT....

3 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

It’s not to say Lane didn’t deserve a contract extension because he certainly did, but with a team so devoid of weapons and hasn’t shown the greatest drafting pedigree over the last few seasons, is this a really smart move?

1 hour ago, Danger said:

because there's no significant difference between LT and RT anymore. The nfl pass rush meta evolved at the start of the decade and people don't seem to realize this.

Absolutely correct. In fact, in some cases,  preeminent pass rushers are lining up over the right tackle as opposed to the left. TJ Watt is a good example of this - I believe that they play him against the right side of the offensive formation almost exclusively in Pitt (steelers fans can comment, but I'm pretty sure that is accurate). Nick Bosa is a beast of a player for the 49ers, and by far and away their best edge rusher. Notice that he wasn't lined up over Bakhtiari in the Green Bay game; he came at Bulaga and then was matched up the rest of the game against his back up for almost the entirety of the game. 

Last year, 49ers fans weren't excited about McG because he was basically a competent right tackle in pass protection - we were excited because in being that, he was lined up quite a bit against the likes of Von Miller and Khalil Mack, and still managed to be competent. 

The left tackle / right tackle thing hasn't really been a "thing" in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

Well his play makes this contract well earned even if it is for a RT.

But having Collins and his contract even though some laughed at it makes me feel so much better. 

Frankly Collins didn't play well at all until this year IMO. Kinda feels like you guys lucked into that.

On 30/11/2019 at 12:13 AM, Danger said:

Well, sort of, but it's certainly still true that Quarterbacks only have two eyes and that they - for the most part - are located on the front of their head. Until the NFL gets on board with gene-splicing, that is unlikely to change.

An RT's job will always be easier, because the QB can see the rush from that side.

• Like 1