Prospects to keep an eye on for the Bucs

indifference

53 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We haven't done anything in free agency to make me believe that Davenport won't be our first pick.

I'm interested in him. Long, athletic, basketball and track past with solid upside. If we bring Okafor in do you think that he is still an option?

Do we go for upside or do we take BPA? DT is off the board early with the FA moves. If Nelson is gone oline won't be an option. Ward is name not mentioned much around here. Sticky corner with 4.30 speed. Right now we have a underperforming top ten pick playing the slot and a 35 year old on the outside.   

12 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

I'm interested in him. Long, athletic, basketball and track past with solid upside. If we bring Okafor in do you think that he is still an option?

Do we go for upside or do we take BPA? DT is off the board early with the FA moves. If Nelson is gone oline won't be an option. Ward is name not mentioned much around here. Sticky corner with 4.30 speed. Right now we have a underperforming top ten pick playing the slot and a 35 year old on the outside.   

We had 22 sacks last year. All we've done so far is bring in run stuffers. Even if we do sign Okafor, we need more pass rush. We can't just rely on Spence again. Hopefully Licht understands that. And I think we'll address it by drafting the top pass rusher at seven, whether or not he's BPA.

We got cute last year and went BPA with Howard because we were coming off a 9-7 season. I don't think we'll do it again after 5-11.

As for CB, I like Ward. But we run mostly zone. I think we'll look for CBs that would excel at that. 

3 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We had 22 sacks last year. All we've done so far is bring in run stuffers. Even if we do sign Okafor, we need more pass rush. We can't just rely on Spence again. Hopefully Licht understands that. And I think we'll address it by drafting the top pass rusher at seven, whether or not he's BPA.

We got cute last year and went BPA with Howard because we were coming off a 9-7 season. I don't think we'll do it again after 5-11.

As for CB, I like Ward. But we run mostly zone. I think we'll look for CBs that would excel at that. 

I’m not against the move at all but IF Okafor is a Buc and Gholston, Ayers, and Spence are still on the roster I’m not 100% sure they don’t go BPA. Also not saying Ward is BPA more just stating that there are holes all over the def. Slippery slope if they move Davenport ahead of three, four higher ranked prospects and draft upside. For all we know Davenport might be their third overall prospect just saying. Also I don’t think they were being cute last year selecting Howard. He was the clear BPA and as far as I’m concerned he was BPA multiple spots before the Bucs pick. 

"Get cute" was a poor choice of words. BPA is what everyone (should) strives for. We just don't do that with Licht, until last year after a 9-7 season. 

But this is it. We've got holes all over the roster, the biggest being pass rush. I just think we'll opt for the best pass rusher available with our first pick. That seems to be Licht's MO. I could be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

"Get cute" was a poor choice of words. BPA is what everyone (should) strives for. We just don't do that with Licht, until last year after a 9-7 season. 

But this is it. We've got holes all over the roster, the biggest being pass rush. I just think we'll opt for the best pass rusher available with our first pick. That seems to be Licht's MO. I could be wrong. 

Davenport has everything Licht has drafted early in the past.  Measureables with above average athleticism for  the prospect s size.  He is definitely more of a high ceiling evaluator.  Davenport is the Ali Marpet of the defense 

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Davenport has everything Licht has drafted early in the past.  Measureables with above average athleticism for  the prospect s size.  He is definitely more of a high ceiling evaluator.  Davenport is the Ali Marpet of the defense 

His 3 cone time worries me a bit and suggests he can’t get around the corner as quickly as he should for his speed. I think he was 10th fastest out of 22 which seems respectable, but considering he was top 5 in the 40, it maybe shows a limitation.

There’s apparently a good correlation between 3 cone time and how well a pass rusher turns out in the pros, but if he’s our guy, let’s hope he bucks that trend.

3 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

His 3 cone time worries me a bit and suggests he can’t get around the corner as quickly as he should for his speed. I think he was 10th fastest out of 22 which seems respectable, but considering he was top 5 in the 40, it maybe shows a limitation.

There’s apparently a good correlation between 3 cone time and how well a pass rusher turns out in the pros, but if he’s our guy, let’s hope he bucks that trend.

Chubb has just about the same three cone time.

24 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Chubb has just about the same three cone time.

Their times are remarkably similar. I’d even argue that Davenport is a better athlete than Chubb. 

It’s tough. Davenport just feels like a reach. The only logic I have for wanting to steer clear is the fact that we’ve been burned by reaching for need in the past.

47 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

It is a concern, but both Chubb and Davenport are bigger DEs.   I like Landry s athleticism, but I see him having a hard anchoring to set the edge.  I see them kicking Davenport inside in nickel packages like a Graham in Philly where he is strong enough not to get pushed around and quick enough to get around a guard.  

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

His combine numbers tell me nothing about how he can beat a tackle with technique. Sorry. 

I’m a big fan of Davenport and I’d take him if Chubb, Barkely or Nelson are off the board at 7. 

I can live with Davenport over Fitzpatrick. 

Normally , 3/4ths of pass rushers coming out of college aren’t well rounded or developed as pass rushers. 

Davenport has the athleticism, speed and strength. He’s shown ability to get under tackles and not play too high, but he’s a project Bc he tries to bull rush often. 

28 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

His combine numbers tell me nothing about how he can beat a tackle with technique. Sorry. 

Agreed, but for DEs they seem to offer some predictive value of pass rushing success. I’d argue they’re a factor in the decision, but they certainly aren’t (and shouldn’t be) a determining one.

It’s all about the tape.

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I’m a big fan of Davenport and I’d take him if Chubb, Barkely or Nelson are off the board at 7. 

I can live with Davenport over Fitzpatrick. 

Normally , 3/4ths of pass rushers coming out of college aren’t well rounded or developed as pass rushers. 

Davenport has the athleticism, speed and strength. He’s shown ability to get under tackles and not play too high, but he’s a project Bc he tries to bull rush often. 

I don’t want Fitzpatrick. I watched somthing about Davenport not to long ago and I remember him saying that people were so concerned with his speed that’s what they looked for. He had to switch to power often times to counter this which is why he rushes from a 2 point stance a lot of the times. 

I think with better talent around him and NFL coaching and workouts I think Davenport will be alright. My knock on him is he seems like a quiet guy kind of like McCoy. I want some dogs on the line like Ayers or..Chubb ?

Top 5 going into the draft would have to be 

1.Chubb 2.Nelson 3.Barkley 4. James 5. Davenport 

Archived