Prospects to keep an eye on for the Bucs

indifference

Ward measured in at 5'11" and above average arm length. He's not the new age giant CB, but he isn't a midget either.

I like James too, but I'd rather just sign a safety. Lotta great safeties still on the FA market. #1 CBs on the other hand have to be drafted.

24 minutes ago, xlfrosti said:

I keep studying and looking at CB Ward and to be honest I wouldn't mind taking him there are 7 if 1 of the big 3 is gone.

He has the same height at Grimes and I don't think Grimes will be back after next years. So learning under him with an already talented skill set would put him as a good CB to pair with Hargreaves. 

The kid did kill it at the combine with 4.38 40 times. What do you guys think? This would be the BPA approach that I wouldn't mind taking

R&P put the icing on the cake with his mock about Ward.

If we ran more man coverage, absolutely. But we run zone more than anyone else. Would be kind of a waste.

2 minutes ago, indifference said:

Warmed up to him after his combine. Think he has the ability to be a 3 down DE right now. Can anchor the run and uses his quickness off the edge to get after it. 

Most are saying he the best off the edge in the entire draft. It's not like he's hovering around 235-40 lbs either. Weighed in at 252 lbs at the combine. I really like him. Third down throw McCoy, Curry, Spence and Landry in there would be pretty sick. Not in the same tier as Chubb but we wouldn't need a big trade to get him. Is he a guy we take a seven? Do we try and trade down and grab him or try and trade up from our second back into the first?

1 minute ago, deuces22wild said:

Most are saying he the best off the edge in the entire draft. It's not like he's hovering around 235-40 lbs either. Weighed in at 252 lbs at the combine. I really like him. Third down throw McCoy, Curry, Spence and Landry in there would be pretty sick. Not in the same tier as Chubb but we wouldn't need a big trade to get him. Is he a guy we take a seven? Do we try and trade down and grab him or try and trade up from our second back into the first?

I'm not taking him at #7. He's a 15-25 range player IMO...

I still think he has a chance to be special as a 3-4 OLB, which is his best fit long-term IMO. 

He can play DE, but I don't know how well he'll hold up long term injury wise. everything I've heard on him suggested he played at 235-240 throughout his collegiate career...

16 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm not taking him at #7. He's a 15-25 range player IMO...

I still think he has a chance to be special as a 3-4 OLB, which is his best fit long-term IMO. 

He can play DE, but I don't know how well he'll hold up long term injury wise. everything I've heard on him suggested he played at 235-240 throughout his collegiate career...

Is there really a huge gap between the guys we would be looking at between 7 and 15? We won't be drafting a Qb, WR or a OT in the first. Guys being mocked in that range like Vea, Edmunds, Smith, Payne aren't options. Ward, Jackson, Davenport, Landry, James, Fitz. I like all the guys I've named but we were dead last in sacks with 22 for the year. The Colts had more for crying out loud. The draft is solid in the secondary as well as running back. Maybe the FO think brining on Curry and a healthy Spence is good enough and go with someone later in the draft. Maybe they address it early with Davenport or Landry and look at the deeper positions (S/CB/RB) later in the draft.      

42 minutes ago, indifference said:

Warmed up to him after his combine. Think he has the ability to be a 3 down DE right now. Can anchor the run and uses his quickness off the edge to get after it. 

That bend though. A couple of them looked like he was dodging dudes in the matrix.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

That bend though. A couple of them looked like he was dodging dudes in the matrix.

Exactly. Ideally we trade down and get our guy but I would not be mad one bit if he was our selection. G/RB to close out the first 3 rounds.

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think I’d still take Davenport over Landry. I just think Davenport is a guy who if Buckner gets a hold of his skill set, just look out. 

I'm in the same boat as you. Think he fits our scheme much better and has a high ceiling if gets with the right staff and puts it together. I think even if he doesn't develop to his full potential, he's still going to be a perennial 7-10 sack guy who can play the run well on the edge as well...

If we take him though, I think we could move back to 10-12 and still land him...

So are you guys thinking this is a classic potential vs production scenario with Davenport vs Landry?

Neither guy is a finished product yet but is Davenport being 6'6"-264lbs compared to Landry being 6'3"-252lbs is what's making you guys lean that way?

Conference and production isn't even close between the two the last two years.

Landry - 19 gms - 21.5 sacks/18 sack avg over 16 gms - 6 FF's

Davenport - 24 gms - 15 sacks/10 sack avg over 16 gms - 3 FF's

More athletic?

40 yard dash - Davenport 5th ovr (4.58) / Landry 7th ovr (4.64)

Bench press - Landry 24 reps / Davenport 22 reps

Vertical - Landry 4th ovr (36") / Davenport 13th ovr (33.5")

Broad jump - Davenport 3rd ovr (10'4") / Landry 12th ovr (9'11")

Three cone - Landry 2nd over (6.88 sec) / Davenport 11th over (7.2 sec)

20 yrd shuttle - Landry 1st ovr (4.19 sec) / Davenport 14th ovr (4.41 sec)

60 yrd shuttle - Landry 1st ovr (11.35 sec) / Davenport ?

9 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

So are you guys thinking this is a classic potential vs production scenario with Davenport vs Landry?

Neither guy is a finished product yet but is Davenport being 6'6"-264lbs compared to Landry being 6'3"-252lbs is what's making you guys lean that way?

Conference and production isn't even close between the two the last two years.

Landry - 19 gms - 21.5 sacks - 6 FF's

Davenport - 24 gms - 15 sacks - 3 FF's

More athletic?

40 yard dash - Davenport 5th ovr (4.58) / Landry 7th ovr (4.64)

Bench press - Landry 24 reps / Davenport 22 reps

Vertical - Landry 4th ovr (36") / Davenport 13th ovr (33.5")

Broad jump - Davenport 3rd ovr (10'4") / Landry 12th ovr (9'11")

Three cone - Landry 2nd over (6.88 sec) / Davenport 11th over (7.2 sec)

20 yrd shuttle - Landry 1st ovr (4.19 sec) / Davenport 14th ovr (4.41 sec)

60 yrd shuttle - Landry 1st ovr (11.35 sec) / Davenport ?

Measure the film. can Landry play in a 4-3 or is he strictly 3-4 ? Most pass rushers aren’t developed in terms of technique , pass rush moves, and how to use their athleticism in college. A lot of guys win based off pure athleticism at the collegiate level. 

Davenport is intriguing because he looks like he can develop into a 4-3 end to rush the qb and play the run. Landry looks like a 3-4 guy. 

I don’t think either of them comes into the league and starts and makes an impact on day one. 

I like both players to be honest. Davenport fits what we do on defense long term. 

I don’t like to compare numbers either some times  look at Bejern Werner a few years ago. He had high productivity and he didn’t win on a lot of those sacks.  Davenport puts lineman on skates  

Also comparing competition level is mute. See Khalil Mack at buffalo. He’s a stud. 

And remember our Jimmy G arguments? 

1 minute ago, deuces22wild said:

1) Qb

2) Chubb

3) Qb

4) Barkley/Ward/Trade then Qb

5) Nelson/Barkley/Qb

6) Nelson/Barkley/Trade then Qb

7) Nelson/James/?

I'm thinking:

Browns - QB

Giants - Chubb