Around the NFL III - The NFLiest Yet

y2lamanaki

Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Seahawks move to the CFL?

• Yes, be gone with them already.
    • No, I want see the Seahawks get beat down in the NFC West for years to come.
    • No, because then poor RudyZ might be stuck with them.
    • No, because I am a proud toothless member of the 12th Man which you all know means I became a fan in 2012. It's also the last year I took a shower, because my hygiene is lacking.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Like if Rivera has a poor season, do you think he gets another year? I'm not sure and they are in a weird spot overall. Like the team keeps getting in the news for the wrong reasons and they have a good amount of talent and need to get back in the playoffs. You have to take a shot at Jimmy over Trubisky IMO. And if you give Jimmy an extension, you can lower the 2022 cap hit in like half. No-brainer Jimmy over Trubisky if you can't get any of the big names. 

The belief is that he's not in a place where he has to worry about his job, but Snyder is....uh....mercurial....to say the least. I'm not sure I'd ever feel that comfortable. 

I still think Washington makes a ton of sense too. I mean, that's a solid set up for Jimmy to succeed. Would like to see one more receiver, but Samuel / McLaurin / McKissic + Gibson in the backfield and a very solid TE in Logan Thomas. 

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

The belief is that he's not in a place where he has to worry about his job, but Snyder is....uh....mercurial....to say the least. I'm not sure I'd ever feel that comfortable. 

I still think Washington makes a ton of sense too. I mean, that's a solid set up for Jimmy to succeed. Would like to see one more receiver, but Samuel / McLaurin / McKissic + Gibson in the backfield and a very solid TE in Logan Thomas. 

Man, I just don't know about that. They had so much hype this offseason and completely underperformed. The Giants can take a big step with their new coaching staff and the Eagles have some potential as well so if the Commanders finish last place, is Rivera REALLY safe?? Their fans are going to be upset at trading for Jimmy, but he will have them competing for the division just like Smith was before he got hurt a few seasons ago. 

They are in tough spot like I mentioned earlier. Trubisky isn't it man lol. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Man, I just don't know about that. They had so much hype this offseason and completely underperformed. The Giants can take a big step with their new coaching staff and the Eagles have some potential as well so if the Commanders finish last place, is Rivera REALLY safe?? Their fans are going to be upset at trading for Jimmy, but he will have them competing for the division just like Smith was before he got hurt a few seasons ago. 

They are in tough spot like I mentioned earlier. Trubisky isn't it man lol. 

Losing Fitz right off the bat really derailed their season. Plus their defense was weirdly bad. 

I said it last year and I’ll say it again, Washington is competent QB play away from being a legit contender for a WC spot. Obviously, their defense needs to be fixed, but there’s a lot to work with on offense. They just need average or above QB play to be in the thick of it.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I highly doubt he goes for anything major. I don't know his contract situation but probably a 3rd rounder?

He's actually in his last year of his deal.

The last two years on his contract are voided.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

He's actually in his last year of his deal.

The last two years on his contract are voided.

Oh, then he can probably be had for a 5th or 6th rounder if he only has one year left on his deal. Kind of like the Boldin trade we did in 2013.

• Like 1

Kawakami's guess(es):

Prediction 1: The Garoppolo trade will be agreed to and reported by the end of this month

Yes, I know teams can’t officially make trades until the new league year starts on March 16. Yes, it’s possible that the QB market will remain unclear for weeks while needy teams figure out what’s going on with Rodgers and Russell Wilson and monitor the Deshaun Watson situation.

But I believe the 49ers and Garoppolo both are interested in clearing the decks relatively quickly. Lynch and Shanahan will want maximum value for Garoppolo, which might extend trade negotiations, but I think they’re aware a bidding war is unlikely; they have to understand that an extra delay could make it seem like they’re hesitant to fully anoint Lance. And I don’t think they’re hesitant on this, actually.

Also, the 49ers want to do right by Garoppolo and that means sending him somewhere he wants to go and not taking so long that all of the good spots are already taken. When the 49ers traded Alex Smith to the Chiefs in the 2013 offseason, after Colin Kaepernick took the team to the previous Super Bowl, they agreed to the deal in late February. Back then, the 49ers wanted to do right by Smith, and they wanted zero confusion about Kaepernick as their starter. Once the Chiefs met the trade price, the deal was done and all sides could move forward.

I think something very similar will happen with the 49ers and Garoppolo, and it could happen pretty soon, though it can’t be official until mid-March.

Prediction 2: The 49ers will trade Garoppolo to Pittsburgh for a fourth-round pick this year and a conditional fourth-round pick next year that could slide up to a second-rounder

I’ve already made this prediction a few times, so I won’t get into the details here. Other than: While I can guess that several teams will be interested in acquiring Garoppolo, I don’t think any of them will plan for him as the long-term franchise QB. Which will limit his trade value.

At 30, with his injury history and given his occasionally hard-to-define worth, I think Garoppolo is likely to be viewed this cycle as a very good placeholder QB. An elite bridge guy, slightly above the Ryan Fitzpatrick level and solidly above the Teddy Bridgewater/Andy Dalton level. But not as a franchise-changer. You can obviously get to the playoffs with Garoppolo, if he stays healthy. But you might not be entirely comfortable with him all along the way.

That means he’s best for a good team that just needs adequate-to-good QB play and real leadership for a year or two while it maneuvers for the QB of the future. And while Garoppolo will want more than that, I think a couple of years on a credible playoff team would be a very good situation for him.

That also means that I doubt anybody will be dangling a first-round or maybe even a second- or third-round pick in this year’s draft for Garoppolo. That’s how you get your future QB, not what you burn for a very good placeholder. I think the 49ers would do well if they got a fourth-rounder this year (to add to their stock of nine picks accumulated so far) plus a conditional pick that could move up to a second-rounder if Garoppolo plays 75 percent of the snaps and the Steelers get to the playoffs next year.

If Lynch and Shanahan do better than that, I will tip my hat to them. If they do worse, I’ll shake my head at my own bullishness.

Javon Kinlaw (Cary Edmondson / USA Today)

Prediction 3: The most problematic player on the roster this offseason will be Javon Kinlaw

The 49ers might just have been praising Arik Armstead for his move back inside full-time late last season, which defensive coordinator DeMeco Ryans repeatedly called the turning point for the defense. It might not have been aimed in any way as a sideswipe at Kinlaw, their former No. 1 pick who was supposed to replace Buckner and hasn’t ever come close. And yet …

Kinlaw has missed 15 regular-season games in the last two years, hasn’t been great when he was on the field, and might not have a major role even if he remains on the team next season, presuming the 49ers keep Armstead at that position (and why wouldn’t they?) permanently. Kinlaw has a $4.2 million cap number while the 49ers will be scrambling for dollars to try to re-sign D.J. Jones, a true run stuffer, and pass rusher Arden Key, among others.

But thanks to his rookie signing bonus, Kinlaw would have a dead-cap hit of more than $9 million if the 49ers cut or trade him this spring. There’s no way they’d want that kind of wasted space while they aim for the playoffs again. So he’ll almost certainly be on the team next season, I would assume primarily as a backup, unless the 49ers lose Jones and try to force Kinlaw into the role. And who knows if Kinlaw’s knee could hold up for very long even if he gets a regular role to start the season?

The 49ers haven’t had many situations like this in the Shanahan/Lynch era. They’ve spent some big money on players, but they’ve rarely been stuck many years with somebody who isn’t producing. Solomon Thomas, another highly drafted defensive lineman, was one rare example, and they had to keep him on the roster for four seasons before he left as a free agent. Kinlaw might turn things around next season, but as he stands this offseason, he’s just an expensive roster spot.

Prediction 4: The 49ers will sign Deebo Samuel and Nick Bosa to humongous extensions … in July

They’ve budgeted for these deals — first by trading Buckner (however unwise it was in a football sense) and avoiding the $21 million average salary he immediately received in Indianapolis and secondly by acquiring Lance and setting him up to be the starting QB for the next few years while still on his rookie deal.

It’s also important to note that other than Buckner, the 49ers have been able to retain every one of their own major stars. (They lost Emmanuel Sanders to free agency after trading for him in the middle of the 2019 season, but that was a rental all the way.) Lynch and Shanahan have acquired several great players, they’ve plotted out ways to keep these players when they were due huge money, they’ve gotten the OK from Jed York to spend that money and they’ve retained the star players.

We know the list: They made Garoppolo the NFL’s highest-paid (briefly) player in the 2018 offseason, they made George Kittle the highest-paid tight end at the start of 2020 training camp and they made Trent Williams the highest-paid offensive lineman and Fred Warner the top-paid inside linebacker in the game in the 2021 offseason.

I don’t expect Bosa and Samuel to get their deals done immediately, though. The 49ers like to get through free agency and the draft first then hammer out these monster extensions in July. For instance, Warner signed his market-topping extension last July, about a week before the start of training camp. Kittle signed his market-busting extension right at the start of camp in 2020.

And while I understand that there are concerns Samuel’s contract talks could get complicated because he’s so valuable switching between receiver and running back, I don’t think that’ll actually be a huge problem, because he’s mainly a receiver, and top receivers make more money than top running backs. (It’d be tricker if the situation was reversed the way it was for Christian McCaffrey a few years ago as a running back who also played very valuable snaps at WR.) So Deebo should be just fine scaling this deal near the top of the WR market, with a bonus for his value as a runner. That could get him $20-22 million per, with $55-60 million guaranteed.

For Bosa, the edge-rusher market is set by T.J. Watt ($28 million a year, $80 million guaranteed) and Nick’s brother Joey ($27 million a year, $102 million guaranteed). It might take $30 million a year and $100 million guaranteed to sign Nick long-term.

That’s a lot of cash for Bosa and Samuel. And I have little doubt the 49ers will eventually pay it. Good thing for them they cleared out some space for this — and are one of the richest teams in all of sports.

Laken Tomlinson (Stan Szeto / USA Today)

Prediction 5: The 49ers will re-sign Laken Tomlinson, D.J. Jones and Raheem Mostert

It’s going to get tight for these guys with the 49ers knowing that Kittle’s cap hit jumps from $5.4 million last year to $16 million in 2022 and Williams’ jumps from $8.2 million last year to $14 million in 2022 (and to $26.3 million in 2023).

But the salary-cap number is going up from a pandemic-restricted $182.5 million last year to an expected $208.2 million this year. The 49ers squeezed everybody they wanted into last year’s tight number. They can do the same in 2022 with the extra $15.7 million in wiggle room and by dropping Garoppolo’s $24.2 million cap figure.

(Just like last year, I don’t foresee the 49ers adding any big-name outside free agents. They like to invest in their own guys. But I’ll sneak an extra prediction here: They’ll sign Tyrod Taylor as a veteran mentor and very solid backup QB for Lance. That’s an easy one, given Taylor’s ties to new assistant head coach Anthony Lynn.)

The 49ers need Tomlinson because he plays every down, is a great left-side tandem with Williams and allows them to put all their focus on figuring out what to do at the other guard spot. Also, it seems likely that the 49ers are going to run the ball even more, at least in Lance’s early stages, and if they lose Tomlinson, there will be some question marks about how they’ll do that.

Meanwhile, nose tackles just don’t usually get huge bids, so I think Jones’ price might work out for the 49ers. Finally, after missing almost all of last season with a knee injury, Mostert could use a one-year deal to re-establish his value; where better to do that than in Shanahan’s system?

Prediction 6: The 49ers won’t re-sign Jaquiski Tartt

The 49ers probably drafted Talanoa Hufanga last year with the idea of moving him into Tartt’s spot and gradually did some of that last year. They made the contract commitment to Jimmie Ward two offseasons ago and can plug Hufanga into Tartt’s spot, which allows them to avoid paying for two veterans at that position.

Prediction 7: The 49ers will draft heavily on defense

Think of it this way: Shanahan and Lynch value defensive talent immensely but last year spent three first-round picks to acquire Lance and used a second-round pick on guard Aaron Banks and a third-rounder on running back Trey Sermon before finally taking cornerback Ambry Thomas later in the third.

They need some defensive talent, basically. I think the 49ers will use their first pick in the draft (No. 61) on a defensive lineman, probably a pass rusher. Wild guess: How about Penn State’s Arnold Ebiketie? I think they could use four or five other picks on a cornerback, defensive tackle, safety, another edge rusher and maybe another cornerback.

What offensive position will they draft for? Every team could use a talented young tackle or two to set a foundation for the offense. Especially the 49ers, with Williams heading into his mid-30s, Mike McGlinchey coming off a torn quadriceps injury and the future in the hands of Lance.

• Like 2

Two 4ths would be very underwhelming for Jimmy. Hell, Joe flacco got a 4th from Denver and he was a corpse at that point. The conditional part would make it better though they need to be easy to hit

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh, then he can probably be had for a 5th or 6th rounder if he only has one year left on his deal. Kind of like the Boldin trade we did in 2013.

Cooks is a fantastic player.. IMO he's worth way more than that. Probably more than Manny Sanders trade wise

Edit-

We sent Denver a 3 and a 4 for a 32 year old Sanders. Cooks could easily go somewhere for a 1st if it came with an extention 

Edited by adamq