Your dream FO and coaching staff for this offseason

ripsean21

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The tricky thing about cutting Smith, though, is that it’s not clearing us any cap space this offseason. It’s still costing us big bucks in terms of the cap penalty (about $11M it looks like), and we can’t even foist some of that off on next year via the June 1 cut because those are eliminated in the final league year. They’d be choosing to eat a $32M cap number if they cut him this offseason. Not saying it’s an empty threat — but it ain’t the strongest leverage I’ve ever heard of. 

I hope there’s some way to convince him to give some money back (without the NFLPA’s eyes bulging right out of their head), but if I was a gambling man, I’d put my money on them keeping Smith on the roster for one more season. I think they’ll consider drafting a late-round QB, a really experienced pro-ready guy, in the mold of Finley or Minshew. It’s not a great draft for that, unfortunately — maybe Nate Stanley or somebody like that, he isn’t exactly super polished but he has a lot of experience and his game is similar to Haskins in a lot of ways. 

A QB room with Haskins, Smith, and a rookie would be pretty decent. As long as it’s clear to all that Smith is not a candidate to get back on the field unless Haskins is out (sorta like the Eli situation for NYG the last two weeks). And hopefully not even then, if the rookie shows some flashes of promise. 

I think this is actually a pretty good qb class thats coming out this year

Burrow, Tua, Herbrt, Eason, Fromm, Love , Hurts, Costello, Patterson, Montez, Newman, Mond, Ehlinger, Neal

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It won't happen. If Alex is a June 1st cut he doesn't count anything against the cap. His cap hit is $0 as a June 1st cut.

?

Spotrac has this listed for 2020:

POST-6/1 RELEASE / 2020 Dead Cap: $21,400,000 / 2021 Dead Cap: $10,800,000 / 2020 Cap Savings: $0

POTENTIAL OUT: 2021, 3 YR, $71,000,000; $10,800,000 DEAD CAP

2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/17/2019, currently guaranteed for injury

Edited by MikeT14

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

?

Spotrac has this listed for 2020:

POST-6/1 RELEASE / 2020 Dead Cap: $21,400,000 / 2021 Dead Cap: $10,800,000 / 2020 Cap Savings: $0

POTENTIAL OUT: 2021, 3 YR, $71,000,000; $10,800,000 DEAD CAP

2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/17/2019, currently guaranteed for injury

We can cut him for no additional cap hit but there will be a ton of dead cap.  We should have just bit the bullet and done it this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We can cut him for no additional cap hit but there will be a ton of dead cap.  We should have just bit the bullet and done it this year.

Okay, but if I am following what turtle said correctly, he said $0 cap hit. Dead cap is still money against the cap. 

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Nah, you just have Alex retire. You make that proactive June 1st so the Redskins don’t take a cap hit and then Alex is free to be hired as an assistant HC or have some role in the front office. If not, you have to tell Alex they have to re-work his deal for cap space for the good of the team or you will cut him as a June 1st designation.

I don't think that is how it works, but I would love to have a clear explanation if you know.  From what I see  he still has 32 million of dead cap space starting next season and we owe him 16 million in cash next year that is guaranteed for injury.  Maybe there is an exit strategy I am not seeing, but I think we are in for it and I can't imagine him throwing that money away.  So why would he retire or rework his deal?   We aren't going to pay him more to be a front office stooge.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I don't think that is how it works, but I would love to have a clear explanation if you know.  From what I see  he still has 32 million of dead cap space starting next season and we owe him 16 million in cash next year that is guaranteed for injury.  Maybe there is an exit strategy I am not seeing, but I think we are in for it and I can't imagine him throwing that money away.  So why would he retire or rework his deal?   We aren't going to pay him more to be a front office stooge.

This is my train of thought. I don't see where we can get off the hook. I believe we can get "relief", but I also don't want to mix up the NBA's rules. 

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Okay, but if I am following what turtle said correctly, he said $0 cap hit. Dead cap is still money against the cap. 

Yeah, there is dead cap $ plus the $12 million insurance policy that @RSkinGM pointed out. Look I acknowledge, I don't understand the cap stuff very well. I'm just looking at that # $0 for next year's cap if Alex is a June.1st cut and saying... Do it! Do it!

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Also, and this is really key here, there are no June 1 cuts this year because it’s the final league year. 

I didn't know that. Only the Redskins can eff this up ugh!

Why didn't we just sign Kirk? Eff Bruce

On 12/17/2019 at 1:35 AM, e16bball said:

The tricky thing about cutting Smith, though, is that it’s not clearing us any cap space this offseason. It’s still costing us big bucks in terms of the cap penalty (about $11M it looks like), and we can’t even foist some of that off on next year via the June 1 cut because those are eliminated in the final league year. They’d be choosing to eat a $32M cap number if they cut him this offseason. Not saying it’s an empty threat — but it ain’t the strongest leverage I’ve ever heard of. 

I hope there’s some way to convince him to give some money back (without the NFLPA’s eyes bulging right out of their head), but if I was a gambling man, I’d put my money on them keeping Smith on the roster for one more season. I think they’ll consider drafting a late-round QB, a really experienced pro-ready guy, in the mold of Finley or Minshew. It’s not a great draft for that, unfortunately — maybe Nate Stanley or somebody like that, he isn’t exactly super polished but he has a lot of experience and his game is similar to Haskins in a lot of ways. 

A QB room with Haskins, Smith, and a rookie would be pretty decent. As long as it’s clear to all that Smith is not a candidate to get back on the field unless Haskins is out (sorta like the Eli situation for NYG the last two weeks). And hopefully not even then, if the rookie shows some flashes of promise. 

Doh! Completely forgot the CBA runs out.