Week 15: VIKINGS (9-4) at Chargers (5-8)

swede700

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Capitalizing on their takeaway opportunities was great to see. We haven’t seen it much this year. 

But the 3rd/4th down defense is still a major concern. There were too many times where the defense had the opportunity to get off the field, and allowed the Chargers to continue a drive. It has become mind numbingly frustrating to continuously see the defensive backs lined up 8 yards off the line of scrimmage when it’s 3rd and 5. And there’s no excuse to give up a 24 yard “yolo” ball on a 4th down. 

This has been an issue all season, and despite an otherwise dominant defensive performance, we still saw them struggle in the area. They absolutely need to get that cleaned up, otherwise Rodgers will pick them apart. 

It's a huge problem. Like you said, why are the receivers given as much cushion as they are? Without a constant pass rush, the QB has all day to let the receivers get to the sticks without a defender pressing and slowing down their route and they're open for an easy pitch & catch.

And it's not just being aggressive on 3rd/4th. Our corners constantly get beat on the "yolo" balls you described and it's always in the same fashion. CB chasing after WR 2 feet behind WR. WR jumps for ball. CB doesn't turn his head and doesn't jump. WR comes down with ball and huge gain. It doesn't matter which corner or WR or QB or beer vender....same thing every game.

I mean I don't know if it's scheme or declining defense or a combo of both but it's getting ridiculous. Remember when 3rd downs were a virtual punt for the defense? Now it's a virtual first down.

1 minute ago, Boltstrikes said:

Congrats Vikings fans and enjoy the playoffs. I expected more out of my team today but we’ll they love to fall short of my expectations. Good game and thanks for having me today. 

I thought you guys would play better as well.

Disappointing what's going on there after such a great 2018. Hopefully the new stadium will bring some life back into the Bolts

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Congrats Vikings fans and enjoy the playoffs. I expected more out of my team today but we’ll they love to fall short of my expectations. Good game and thanks for having me today. 

What's needed to make the Chargers good again? Lynn, Rivers, and Melvin Gordon all gone?

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

did we force the turnovers, or were they blunders by the Chargers?

5 forced fumbles, 4 recovered by the Vikings. Although, I’m still not sure how one was ruled a fumble. 

The interceptions were a mix of Rivers trying to make plays/throws that he’s no longer able to make. It’s kind of sad seeing a guy, who’s a future Hall of Famer, just hit the career wall. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

What's needed to make the Chargers good again? Lynn, Rivers, and Melvin Gordon all gone?

I stand by we are one player away from being contenders. Obviously this year we suffered from some health problems but if we had one Kris Dielman player I think we are contenders. We need that superior offensive guard that puts the fire to everyone else’s *** on the offensive line. If we can keep the pocket from being crushed from the inside Rivers will kill teams. Especially with a great route runner like KA13 and a big jump ball target in Mike Williams. 

3rd string center, a rotation at the rest of the OL this year. We double dipped on Feeney/Lamp a few years back and neither has made the impact we hoped for. Lamp hasn’t even started. If we had consistency and fire on our offensive line I think this is an entirely different team. I don’t blame Lynn or Rivers. I don’t even blame Gordon. He is usually a good ball player. Not elite or deserving of the money we offered him but he is usually solid in a rotation. One player. We had him years ago and just need a carbon copy of him. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

3rd string center, a rotation at the rest of the OL this year. We double dipped on Feeney/Lamp a few years back and neither has made the impact we hoped for. Lamp hasn’t even started. If we had consistency and fire on our offensive line I think this is an entirely different team. 

sounds like us the last few years....

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

There’s 2 games left and nobody in the conference is more than 1 game ahead of us.

SEA and SF are both 11-3, and play each other still. so the worst one or both of them can do is be 12-4, right? someone is going to win 12 games.

the best we can do is be 12-4, presently at 10-4. if SEA and we are both 12-4, we lose a tie breaker to them.

Edited by vike daddy

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

SEA and SF are both 11-3, and play each other still. so the best one or both of them can do is be 12-4, right?

the best we can do is be 12-4, presently at 10-4. if SEA and we are both 12-4, we lose a tie breaker to them.

You’re right, but I don’t know if we have the tiebreaker over the 49ers. So we may or may not still have a shot at the top seed.

• Like 1