Week 15: VIKINGS (9-4) at Chargers (5-8)

swede700

It was pretty clear from the start of Sunday’s game that Philip Rivers wanted to attack Mike Hughes. To open the second quarter, Rivers completed a touchdown drive by throwing a 50-50 ball against Hughes in the end zone. Receiver Mike Williams came down with the ball to put the Chargers up 10-9. The rest of the day would belong to the Vikings’ defense.

The Vikings forced seven turnovers, the most under Mike Zimmer, on Sunday, one of which belonged to Hughes. While his first interception since opening day 2018 came late in the game, he did not allow many other chances for the veteran quarterback to target him. Hughes played nearly the entire game after Xavier Rhodes left early with a leg issue. Whether Rhodes is able to play down the stretch or not, we are going to see more of the ’18 first-rounder. Prior to Rhodes’ injury in the first quarter he and Hughes were mixing in and out of the game for the second straight week.

Hughes: “I’m getting more comfortable getting into a groove, finding myself as an elite corner, I’m still trying to work toward that goal. Most importantly we just want to win. Getting this 10th win is really important and it feels good.”

https://www.skornorth.com/vikings-2/2019/12/vikings-will-need-sundays-version-of-mike-hughes-going-forward/

The seven takeaways are the most in a game under Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer (since 2014). Minnesota had forced five turnovers in a Week 17 win against Chicago back in 2016.

Minnesota recorded seven takeaways for the 13th time in franchise history.

The Chargers had 12 total offensive possessions, meaning 58.3 percent ended in turnovers.

https://www.vikings.com/news/5-takeaways-vikings-force-season-high-7-turnovers-for-purple-clad-road-crowd

12 minutes ago, vikings209 said:

I was at the game yesterday and I will tell you that I actually feel bad for the Chargers. It was probably 2-1 if not 3-1 more Vikings fans than Charger fans. The Chargers ownership have ruined that team. They literally have no fan base anymore.

They didn’t have much of a fan base in San Diego either. 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

They didn’t have much of a fan base in San Diego either. 

But, they were certainly a loyal fanbase, even if not large in number.  They even lost that portion of their fanbase.  They should just move the team to San Antonio and start over.  

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

But, they were certainly a loyal fanbase, even if not large in number.  They even lost that portion of their fanbase.  They should just move the team to San Antonio and start over.  

NFL could probably benefit from contraction but that probably won’t happen given the money at stake. The Chargers are In a tough spot, the Rams are clearly the preferred team of Southern California and the 49ers in Northern California. I don’t know where the Chargers should end up, but if the NFL ever tried international expansion (which would be a terribly bad idea) the Chargers would be the perfect team. Basically a team without a real home. Maybe Canada could get a team one day soon? That wouldn’t be too bad logistically.

Edited by vikingsrule

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

NFL could probably benefit from contraction but that probably won’t happen given the money at stake. The Chargers are In a tough spot, the Rams are clearly the preferred team of Southern California and the 49ers in Northern California. I don’t know where the Chargers should end up, but if the NFL ever tried international expansion (which would be a terribly bad idea) the Chargers would be the perfect team. Basically a team without a real home. Maybe Canada could get a team one day soon? That wouldn’t be too bad logistically.

I was thinking that. But not Canada I was think Mexico City. There is a large following down there.

2 hours ago, vikings209 said:

I was at the game yesterday and I will tell you that I actually feel bad for the Chargers. It was probably 2-1 if not 3-1 more Vikings fans than Charger fans. The Chargers ownership have ruined that team. They literally have no fan base anymore.

Chargers should sign Zlatan to kick for them. They'd sell out every game.

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think it'd be awfully difficult to get players to move there.  

At least speaking geographically, it isn’t much different than Seattle or Buffalo. Obviously there are more logistics involved but do the other professional leagues have issues with American players wanting to play in Canada. I don’t pay attention to other sports so can’t really assess the impact of playing professionally in Canada and if there are barriers that make it difficult.