Week 15: VIKINGS (9-4) at Chargers (5-8)

swede700

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

At least speaking geographically, it isn’t much different than Seattle or Buffalo. Obviously there are more logistics involved but do the other professional leagues have issues with American players wanting to play in Canada. I don’t pay attention to other sports so can’t really assess the impact of playing professionally in Canada and if there are barriers that make it difficult.

Canada would be less of an issue, but I was more referencing specifically Mexico City.  There's a huge safety issue there.  I think Toronto would be fine, but I'm sure the players would want to be paid in US dollars rather than Canadian dollars.  

Just caught the game:

Vikings are getting hot. This is the perfect time to do so.

Dalvin Cook's injury is unfortunate. Mattison and Boone are good, but Cook is elite. It sucks that this injury won't go away.

The defense has finally woke up. That'll need to continue but its great seeing them play with swagger again.

Odenigbo is so good. If Griffen leaves, he'll fill in just fine. He's disruptive, instinctive and can win using multiple moves it seems. Another feather in the hat for Andre Patterson!

Bradbury did fine. Keeping his fingers taped should stop the fumbled snaps.

Cousins and Stefanski need a good hard look at the screen game, specifically the INT. Ingram read that perfectly. GB will be ready for that in week 16.

Thielen's mere presence opens up the offense so much. We will need him going forward in a big way.

All in all, great win, but we have a lot of work still to do. Skol!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Most of Odinigbo’a reps are at DT. I’m not sure he’s viewed as a replacement for Griffen. Ideally, we’d keep Griffen around for another couple of years and draft and develop another edge player drafted in round 3. Would be nice to find another Hunter type prospect.

Both Robison and Griffen played a decent amount of pass rushing DT before moving into full time starters though. 

I wish I had the stats, but I do recall it happening.

Also, in a weird way, 12 years ago when we played the Chargers, Adrian Peterson was breaking NFL records and the Chargers were finding new ways to lose.

Yesterday, 12 years later, Adrian Peterson, now on a different team, is breaking NFL records and the Chargers, now in a new city, are finding new ways to lose.

Ironic, isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Both Robison and Griffen played a decent amount of pass rushing DT before moving into full time starters though. 

I wish I had the stats, but I do recall it happening.

You’re correct. That is where both players started so it wouldn’t be unfamiliar territory. Still would like to see the DL getting more talent up front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Most of Odinigbo’a reps are at DT. I’m not sure he’s viewed as a replacement for Griffen. Ideally, we’d keep Griffen around for another couple of years and draft and develop another edge player drafted in round 3. Would be nice to find another Hunter type prospect.

That's not really true.  Odenigbo is mostly a DE now...he was training to be a swing DE/DT last year, but Zimmer specifically was quoted as saying they took a lot that DT practice away.  While he still plays DT, he plays far more outside now than he does at DT.  Most of his inside work has been in the nickel on 3rd down with Stephen, similarly to what Robison was.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Also, in a weird way, 12 years ago when we played the Chargers, Adrian Peterson was breaking NFL records and the Chargers were finding new ways to lose.

Yesterday, 12 years later, Adrian Peterson, now on a different team, is breaking NFL records and the Chargers, now in a new city, are finding new ways to lose.

Ironic, isn't it?

Missed this story.  Adrian moved into the #5 all time rushing spot on Sunday, by one yard.

He's now slightly over 1,000 yards from catching Barry Sanders and Frank Gore.  Can he play for two more years?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, since72 said:

Missed this story.  Adrian moved into the #5 all time rushing spot on Sunday, by one yard.

He's now slightly over 1,000 yards from catching Barry Sanders and Frank Gore.  Can he play for two more years?

Can he?  Probably.  He turns 35 in a few months.  He's just under 2 years younger than Gore, so if Washington decides to keep him and manage his snaps, I'm pretty sure he could make it through a couple more years.  

55 minutes ago, since72 said:

Frank Gore is still going though. Has he said anything about hanging them up?

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers contemplated the possibility that he might be playing his final two games with the Chargers after last Sunday’s loss to the Vikings and said there was “uncertainty” because the decision about 2020 wasn’t one he can make on his own.

Rivers doesn’t have a contract for 2020 and the Chargers will have to decide whether to continue with their longtime starter or change courses after a year that will end with Rivers turning the ball over at least 21 times.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/anthony-lynn-on-2020-qb-plans-i-dont-have-time-to-think-about-the-future/

On 2019-12-16 at 4:03 PM, swede700 said:

Canada would be less of an issue, but I was more referencing specifically Mexico City.  There's a huge safety issue there.  I think Toronto would be fine, but I'm sure the players would want to be paid in US dollars rather than Canadian dollars.  

All players in NHL, NBA, MLB for Canadian cities get paid in USD (all use the same USD salary cap), taxes are paid based on a combination of where games are played + property ownerships and each team employs accountants to ensure players get the best tax advantages available to them. Its done to try and bridge the "persona of not wanting to play in Canada".

25 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers contemplated the possibility that he might be playing his final two games with the Chargers after last Sunday’s loss to the Vikings and said there was “uncertainty” because the decision about 2020 wasn’t one he can make on his own.

Rivers doesn’t have a contract for 2020 and the Chargers will have to decide whether to continue with their longtime starter or change courses after a year that will end with Rivers turning the ball over at least 21 times.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/17/anthony-lynn-on-2020-qb-plans-i-dont-have-time-to-think-about-the-future/

Rivers just looks done. Watch the Vikings game last weekend, and a few other Chargers game this year, Rivers looks like the QB who’s brain and body are no longer working in sync. You can see him make reads and decisions on throws that he’s routinely made throughout his career, but his arm is no longer capable of making those throws.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Rivers just looks done. Watch the Vikings game last weekend, and a few other Chargers game this year, Rivers looks like the QB who’s brain and body are no longer working in sync. You can see him make reads and decisions on throws that he’s routinely made throughout his career, but his arm is no longer capable of making those throws.  

Could see several long time starting QBs retire this offseason in Brady, Brees, Rivers and Manning. Big Ben may as well be lumped into that group too, but I think it’s a near lock that he will be back.

Manning and Rivers both look done, they are both better off retiring. Brees and Brady could both play for another 2-3 years, though Brady is in a decline but he’s managing the games well enough.

Hate seeing these QBs hang onto a season too long but it’s hard to predict when that fall off occurs, Rivers wasn’t bad last year. 

Edited by vikingsrule