MoL First All Decade Thread (Top-10 Athletes 25-21 pg 7)

mission27

I am anxiously awaiting the Top 10.

I can see how these were the choices for the "almost, but not quite" list.
Most of my favorite are not on here though - which leaves me wondering if they are the MoL's favorites as well or completely left off.

I may post my own personal ranking after TLO reveals the list.

To fill the time while we wait for TLO (whats new), I present the top-10 MoL “third wheels” of the decade 

In order to qualify for this list, you must have posted over the last 10 years and been someone the MoL took under our wing as the third member of our smugness rat pack

Apologizes if I’ve forgotten anyone especially anyone is an active member, but it takes a lot to make this list 

Folks the MoL is friendly with may not qualify for this list because they are too independent of the MoL, for example someone like @Malfatron in TAST and @ramssuperbowl99 in the Baseball forum who have their own brand

We will also not be including a certain poster who loves Randy Moss, who we cant talk about, both because we cant talk about him and because he was more a mentor than a sidekick or third wheel 

Here we go... 

Note: TLO’s comments will be added at his leisure under the heading “TLO’s two cents:” so I’ve left placeholders after each persons write up. 

12. Unknown - There was some guy on the old forum in probably 2010 or 2011 who was the original MoL sidekick, I dont even remember his name, he was a Redskins fan and had to quit FF because his parents were devote Amish and thought the MoL were a bad influence.  If I knew his name he might rank higher simply because he was our first. 

TLO’s two cents: “That kid was deranged.  He like seriously had emotional issues” 

11. @BigBillsFan13 - So this is an interesting one.  BBF started out as one of the MoL’s avowed enmities, then quickly became one of our good friends and a wise older mentor.  In his final year or two on FF before he basically disappeared the guy did a brief cameo as an MoL sidekick in Big Brother and some other things, similar to when an old athlete sticks around as a role player given their diminished skills but quality clubhouse presence.   Mission and TLO gave BBF some quality advise in his personal life that, in hindsight, completely goes against the way mission lives his own life now. 

TLO’s two cents: “I hated him initially as huskers fat friend but then he became probably my second best bud on the site and is a legitimately good dude. Helped me through a breakup Etc“

10. @NewAge - Back when he went by the name greenie, greenie pretty much worshiped the MoL and for a number of years would do our bidding.  We’ve always had a very low opinion of him tbh, mostly because he’s the sort of guy who repeatedly punches his friends in the balls until they have to sit him down and have a conversation with him like “dude you cant punch us in the balls anymore, not cool” and stop being friends with him.  However, he has developed a certain level of smugness, which honestly has dropped him down the list because he’s not really in the MoL orbit anymore.  Greenie and I exchange a few PMs a year and they are cordial. 

TLO’s two cents: “Greenie is a smarmy pos but an okay dude and his prom photo lead to excellent photoshop ops“

9. @Harper - Tbh I dont really know who this is or why he doesn’t show up on here, maybe he was an old forum guy.  TLO says he was briefly a third wheel for us and that we basically **** on him for the most part, doesn’t surprise me, anyway he is missed. 

TLO’s two cents: 

8. @swoosh - Not sure if he’s still around.  Swoosh and jfin sort of came into the MoL orbit around the same time and were both vying for the MoL third wheel position.  Ultimately, the MoL ended up more close to jfin, mostly because Swoosh doesn’t post here that much and jfin is a very agreeable dude.  However, Swoosh will always live on in our thoughts.  His Nike related name is similar to the MoL’s Nike related slogan of JDI. 

TLO’s two cents: 

7. @JBURGE - I’d like to have put JBurge last, both because his third wheeling was short lived and because he screwed us over.  At the same time the highs were quite and we got the last laugh when he was temporarily banned for sending demanding PMs to a certain forum administrator.  JBurge, you may be a maple syrup guzzling traitor but... well... I dont really have anything nice to say about you. 

TLO’s two cents: 

6. @Utley - Debated whether Utley deserved a spot on this list, on the one hand I’m not sure he ever saw himself as an MoL sidekick, on the other hand he was clearly doing the MoL’s bidding and was a main member of our [spam]’s back in the day.  Mike Trout was def his better half and he is still one of the luckiest people I’ve ever come across. 

TLO’s two cents: 

5. Nick - IRL he’d undeniably be #1.  He doesn’t post on FF which hurts his ranking here a little bit, but the fact that he can crack the top-5 without ever having posted on here is quite smug, and a testament to his personal smugness.  He was present for many of the best MoL moments including in person summits in New York and Los Angeles.

TLO’s two cents: 

4. @Victor Cruz Pun - I dont think VCP still posts around here, but back in the day the MoL and VCP were quite tight.  Almost as tight as the MoL was with another member of VCP’s family.  I think that tightness probably led to a fissure in the relationship unfortunately but hey, we did what we could.  VCP was a good dude. 

TLO’s two cents: 

3. @LuckyNumber11 - Lucky may have held the true sidekick role for longer than anyone.  I remember back in the day when he was dating Adam Jones and the MoL would give him generally ****ty advice, but it was fun.  Lucky was a quality member of TAST, posted in the baseball forum, and also did some FFMD nonsense with the MoL.  His contributions also include some of scouting theory for rating potential love interests on the 40-80 baseball scouting scale.  Yes the MoL came up with this but he helped develop it.

TLO’s two cents: 

2. @FinneasGage - There have been some up and down times but I dont think anyone has as consistently stuck with the MoL through thick and thin than Fin, nor is there anyone the MoL has done more for than Fin.  He slips to #2 because over the past few years he’s sort of developed his own identity outside of the MoL orbit, although the relationship remains quite strong. 

TLO’s two cents: 

1. @Shady Slim - Shady almost has to be #1 de facto because he is the closest thing there is to an active MoL third member.  While history will reveal whether he can live up to this billing, so far so good.  If Shady gets banned for any reckless posting he’s done lately this post should be grandfathered in as he was not banned at the time. 

TLO’s two cents: 

Edited by mission27
  • Like 4

I am here and ready to post but Internet is out in our area and I’m trying to preserve my data here. I want to make this post by computer. 

As a teaser, the list is ready, and should be posted tomorrow. It includes 3 songs from 1989, two from lover, 4 from red, and 1 from speak now (while the album is a personal favorite and I feel like I’m shorting it, this is an MoL collaboration, and the other albums are high quality as well)

guesses for the top 10 are welcome

Edited by TLO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mission27 said:

2. @FinneasGage - There have been some up and down times but I dont think anyone has as consistently stuck with the MoL through thick and thin than Fin, nor is there anyone the MoL has done more for than Fin.  He slips to #2 because over the past few years he’s sort of developed his own identity outside of the MoL orbit, although the relationship remains quite strong. 

@mission27 @TLO 

honored to be ranked near the top of the MoL affiliates through these years. from 2011-2014, i truly believe what we accomplished on this forum was **** that will never come close to being replicated by any other message board faction. MoL + Fin + VCP was the greatest conglomerate this site's ever had. during that four year run, we changed everything. we took over FFMD. I'll be damned if we didn't single-handedly make that the funnest forum mock draft on the internet. i remember being 14 years old in the chatty with the four of us just essentially workshopping writing projects that we were going to do for FFMD and TAST. public perception never phased us. we pumped out content that nobody enjoyed besides us. it was ******* beautiful. it's something that i'd never tell anyone about, but i hold that time close to my heart. being in those chatty's, just pitching ideas and writing bull**** really sparked my interest in writing and i think it was paramount in developing any kind of writing ability. without you guys pm'ing about joining JDI, i doubt i would've ever gotten active on this site. without MoL, Finn would've never existed on FF. though we don't talk on here with the same regularity of the 2011-2014 (golden era of TAST) time frame, i've never stopped representing MoL during my solo run on this site. It's a brand that I'll carry with me throughout my tenure on this site. 

i wish the best for you two. i hope @Shady Slim fill's the shoes i've vacated so many years ago. they've been needing to be filled for the past five years. i know shady is the guy to bring the MoL back to the level it was at the start of this decade.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TLO said:

I am here and ready to post but Internet is out in our area and I’m trying to preserve my data here. I want to make this post by computer. 

As a teaser, the list is ready, and should be posted tomorrow. It includes 3 songs from 1989, two from lover, 4 from red, and 1 from speak now (while the album is a personal favorite and I feel like I’m shorting it, this is an MoL collaboration, and the other albums are high quality as well)

guesses for the top 10 are welcome

Yes I’m sure hitting send on 1 post would eat up your data 

18 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

@mission27 @TLO 

honored to be ranked near the top of the MoL affiliates through these years. from 2011-2014, i truly believe what we accomplished on this forum was **** that will never come close to being replicated by any other message board faction. MoL + Fin + VCP was the greatest conglomerate this site's ever had. during that four year run, we changed everything. we took over FFMD. I'll be damned if we didn't single-handedly make that the funnest forum mock draft on the internet. i remember being 14 years old in the chatty with the four of us just essentially workshopping writing projects that we were going to do for FFMD and TAST. public perception never phased us. we pumped out content that nobody enjoyed besides us. it was ******* beautiful. it's something that i'd never tell anyone about, but i hold that time close to my heart. being in those chatty's, just pitching ideas and writing bull**** really sparked my interest in writing and i think it was paramount in developing any kind of writing ability. without you guys pm'ing about joining JDI, i doubt i would've ever gotten active on this site. without MoL, Finn would've never existed on FF. though we don't talk on here with the same regularity of the 2011-2014 (golden era of TAST) time frame, i've never stopped representing MoL during my solo run on this site. It's a brand that I'll carry with me throughout my tenure on this site. 

i wish the best for you two. i hope @Shady Slim fill's the shoes i've vacated so many years ago. they've been needing to be filled for the past five years. i know shady is the guy to bring the MoL back to the level it was at the start of this decade.  

Honestly id have put you at one, and i think shady is just trying to be a knockoff TLO which i can respect, and I understand why mission is buddies with him but tbh i still think he's a flea at heart.

• Like 1

10. New Romantics

tbh, I'm not sure this would crack my personal top 10 over some of the honorable mentions, and some that haven't been listed. (this is where I pause to lament the sheer volume of incredible songs that we love that didn't make the shoutouts. We only have limited time, but rest assured, the MoL feels bad to just barely scratch the surface of such greatness) This song is a real banger nonetheless, and mission is a huge fan. As they say, the best people in life are smug. 

9. Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince

This is a truly fantastic song, and probably the newest iteration of Taylor at her best at a pure pop level. Some people say this song is really about Miss(ion) Americana and the Smugness Prince aka the MoL. I just thought you all should know that there's nothing like this tbh.

8. Back To December

This is just a beautiful, beautiful song. This is pensive and reflective Taylor at her best. If this song doesn't bring a tear to your eye at first listen, you aren't human. Mission and I frequently reflect on going back to December to reminisce about the IRL MoL beer and sushi summits. 

7. Red

Loving mission is not like driving a Maserati down a dead end street, I'll tell you what. It's more like getting steamrolled by a freight train, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, just another excellent song. This is truly a song for all moods. Great lyrical content while still being a fun listen.

6. I Knew You Were Trouble

This song brings back fond high school memories for TLO. A great tune to sing at the top of your lungs while cruising around with some buddies before going to crush a $4 value slam at Denny's (throwing up in the ladies room is optional). There was also that remix of the song with a goat, which was smug, because goats are the smuggest creatures.

5. Lover

This really gives us hope to the newest iteration of Taylor. This is probably her most mature work to date, and the MoL is a big fan. Taking a magnetic force of a man to be a lover is certainly something we both relate to. What a smug little number.

4. Blank Space

This is pop Taylor at nearly, but not quite her peak. As the second song on 1989, this song firmly set herself on a runaway path to global pop stardom. The music video might be her best. 

3. Begin Again

Full disclosure, this would have been number 1 on my list. This song is perfection. The first ever MoL summit was on a Wednesday in a cafe, and that was because of Taylor. This song somehow perfectly conveys morose Taylor and optimistic Taylor into one masterpiece. I could listen to this song all day. This is a song everyone can relate to, and it's just so applicable to all parts of life. 

2. 22

Honestly, does it never not feel like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters and make fun of some exes? I don't know any song that captures youthful exuberance in such a masterfully smug way. This is a true coming of age song for the MoL. 

1. Style

This is the ultimate piece of pop. When I said Blank Space was pop Taylor at nearly, but not quite her peak, this song is why. This song was truly something else when it dropped. While Blank Space set her on the path to global pop stardom, Style cemented her as the current Queen of Pop. The fact that they were back to back on 1989 is both incredibly smug and a real testament to what an iconic album it is. Nothing captures her career in one song more than Style. It has an absurdly smug music video, and was really a transformational song for her career. It was another romance song, but clearly one that moved her into the powerful, calm, cool, collected, and smug role. She was no longer the victim. This was the magnum opus of her career, and if there is one thing the MoL knows about, it is magnums.

• Like 1