Xbox Series X

showtime

5 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Will be interesting if the Xbox one X is the more powerful unit or if Sony will launch with the more powerful and cheaper console like last gen.

My guess is Sony will be cheaper+have a better year 1 but Xbox will be more powerful. 

I agree, that's very interesting.  Reports have always said that Microsoft's console will be 12 teraflops and Microsoft confirmed that today.  Similar reports have said that the PS5 will be 9 teraflops.  I'm wondering what the price difference will be, if any.

This would be a lot different than the Xbox One and PS4 launches, if the Xbox is still more expensive.  Back then, there was a useless device (the Kinect) that drove up the price.  In this case, if the console is substantially more powerful people might be willing to pay for that.

48 minutes ago, showtime said:

Also, on a side note.  120 FPS confirmed!!!!  That's what I really wanted.

120 FPS "capable". We'll see if developers actually use it though. 

That is the #1 feature for me though. The fact that they have HDMI 2.1 is a good sign. I specifically bought a HDM1 2.1 OLED TV for this new gen of consoles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

Will be interesting if the Xbox one X is the more powerful unit or if Sony will launch with the more powerful and cheaper console like last gen.

My guess is Sony will be cheaper+have a better year 1 but Xbox will be more powerful. 

Xbox is most likely having two different models. The other being Series S, which will be cheaper and less powerful than PS5, which in turn is less powerful and cheaper than the Series X

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

Xbox is most likely having two different models. The other being Series S, which will be cheaper and less powerful than PS5, which in turn is less powerful and cheaper than the Series X

There are those rumors yet Xbox has been very upfront about their Xbox plans and even specs way before E3. 

I feel like we would've had an official unveil of the weaker Xbox unit by now. 

Plus two different skews at launch means more optimization issues for developers and I don't see Xbox doing that until mid gen with a refresh of the Series X maybe. 

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

There are those rumors yet Xbox has been very upfront about their Xbox plans and even specs way before E3. 

I feel like we would've had an official unveil of the weaker Xbox unit by now. 

Plus two different skews at launch means more optimization issues for developers and I don't see Xbox doing that until mid gen with a refresh of the Series X maybe. 

It's obvious based on nomenclature and the fact that they had Project Lockhart and Anaconda.

They reveal Series X pricepoint, Sony undercuts thinking they've won, then they reveal Series S. It's obvious this is their plan.

The only thing that changes is the intensity of graphics. It's all about scalability based on which Xbox in the family of consoles you own.

Edited by Danger

Just now, Danger said:

It's obvious based on nomenclature and the fact that they had Project Lockhart and Anaconda.

They reveal Series X pricepoint, Sony undercuts thinking they've won, then they reveal Series S. It's obvious this is their plan.

That's a potential thing yes but Xbox might be confident in their brand and pricepoint on the series X, also lockhart is rumorware at best right now. 

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

That's a potential thing yes but Xbox might be confident in their brand and pricepoint on the series X, also lockhart is rumorware at best right now. 

Wanna bet they have two consoles at launch?

Or at least a cheaper console is revealed before the release of Series X*

Edited by Danger

I think a lot depends on the price point.  If they can somehow make the Series X a price that can compete with the PS5, then that would be amazing.  Everyone is assuming the PS5 will cost $500.  I'm going to be honest, even if the Series X is more powerful, a $600 price tag is kind of hard to swallow. 

This is just a scenario - what if the Series X is more powerful, but cost $500 or even $550, the same price as the PS5.  What would happen then?

6 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think a lot depends on the price point.  If they can somehow make the Series X a price that can compete with the PS5, then that would be amazing.  Everyone is assuming the PS5 will cost $500.  I'm going to be honest, even if the Series X is more powerful, a $600 price tag is kind of hard to swallow. 

This is just a scenario - what if the Series X is more powerful, but cost $500 or even $550, the same price as the PS5.  What would happen then?

The PS5 will probably outsell the Xbox Series X at launch due to a strong year in 2020 from Sony both PS4 games and a probable PS5 exclusive, people who buy PS4 games will buy a PS5 within 1-3 years of the PS5 launching IMO.

It's a coin toss at this point in time. 

13 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

The PS5 will probably outsell the Xbox Series X at launch due to a strong year in 2020 from Sony both PS4 games and a probable PS5 exclusive, people who buy PS4 games will buy a PS5 within 1-3 years of the PS5 launching IMO.

It's a coin toss at this point in time. 

Yeah, the fact is people have more faith in PlayStation right now than they do Xbox and that's likely to be heavily reflected in the initial release of the now consoles since they are being released in the same timeframe. Sony has the trust so people will be more likely to buy PlayStation, it's going to be an uphill battle for Microsoft but they do seem to be doing what they can to prepare for it, buying up several respected dev studios was an important step... Now they need to those studios to deliver some great games if they want to actually get back to being competitive in the console market which they aren't right now... Sony won this generation in a landslide. 

I don't see any situation where the new Xbox outsells the PS5 at the start... But with some good games from the newly acquired studios they can definitely catch up and be competitive again. 

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 1