Xbox Series X

showtime

Just now, Knowledge said:

I think at this rate 1080p 120 FPS is almost a guarantee for these next gen consoles. If not its a huge let down 

That's exactly what I'm hoping.

I wonder how games already released will work.  For example, is Overwatch going to be able to run at 120 FPS at the console's launch or will games need to be optimized to run at 120 FPS?  If games won't be able to run at that FPS at launch, then there's really no reason for me to get the console at launch.

11 minutes ago, showtime said:

I wonder how games already released will work.  For example, is Overwatch going to be able to run at 120 FPS at the console's launch or will games need to be optimized to run at 120 FPS?  If games won't be able to run at that FPS at launch, then there's really no reason for me to get the console at launch.

Older games will likely have to be patched to reach those FPS capabilities. Smite when first released on console was 30FPS they then upped it to 60FPS 

12 minutes ago, Knowledge said:

Older games will likely have to be patched to reach those FPS capabilities. Smite when first released on console was 30FPS they then upped it to 60FPS 

I have both consoles, but I mostly play the Xbox more because the controller is so much better imo.  If that's true, then I might have to stick with Microsoft here because I already have a ton of games on the Xbox.  Hell, I might just end up getting both consoles haha

• Like 1

If we knew true cross-play was happening among all games - I would go back to XBox.
I like Phil Spencer. The 360 is my favorite console I've ever owned, etc.
I made the switch to PS4 at the start of the generation because all of my brother's and friends played Playstation. That's the only reason for me.

33 minutes ago, Nazgul said:

If we knew true cross-play was happening among all games - I would go back to XBox.
I like Phil Spencer. The 360 is my favorite console I've ever owned, etc.
I made the switch to PS4 at the start of the generation because all of my brother's and friends played Playstation. That's the only reason for me.

I think it will happen. You can already see the start of it and it'll just keep growing.  Within 1-2 years I think most third party games will be cross plat.

7 hours ago, showtime said:

That Hellblade II trailer wasn't game play.  That was CGI.

Gameplay is CGI as well, what you meant to say was it was a "pre-rendered trailer" apologies for the smart***ness. 

6 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Its a rectangular prism you uncultured swine.

This is obviously a joke

I hope you only achieve 59FPS for your entire gaming life. 

5 hours ago, showtime said:

The only games that potentially will run at that are 7th gen games and older, 8th gen games will all get graphical updates/re-releases with minimal changes. 9th gen titles will push it to the limit and be stuck between 30-60 fps.

5 hours ago, Knowledge said:

This, games and engines will have to be tweaked to run at new frame counts and optimizations will have to be made given the new hardware. 

22 hours ago, showtime said:

I think 120 FPS is a pretty big deal, especially for FPS games.  Like you said, you need a monitor that can support 120hz, but those are insanely cheap nowadays and becoming more common.  120 FPS is much more important to me than 8K gaming.

I bet you represent < 3% of the console gaming market, though

On 12/13/2019 at 2:30 PM, showtime said:

I have both consoles, but I mostly play the Xbox more because the controller is so much better imo.  If that's true, then I might have to stick with Microsoft here because I already have a ton of games on the Xbox.  Hell, I might just end up getting both consoles haha

I remember never getting the original XBox because wherever I played it, I hated the oversized controller, but since the 360, they've had the top controller by far.  I always have one heck of an adjustment when I turn on my Playstation in the spring/summer when I buy MLB The Show. 

14 hours ago, showtime said:

I mean, Borderlands 3 just came out a few months ago and is essentially locked at 30 FPS on every console except Xbox One X.  I think the game sucks because of that.

When I bought it I forgot it was at 30FPS on PS4, and while I enjoyed playing it, the stutter of 30 FPS makes it really hard for me to go back and keep playing it. If it was 60 FPS I would say it is phenomenal. 

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

When I bought it I forgot it was at 30FPS on PS4, and while I enjoyed playing it, the stutter of 30 FPS makes it really hard for me to go back and keep playing it. If it was 60 FPS I would say it is phenomenal. 

Agreed.  The jump from 30 FPS to 60 FPS is huge.  Another massive jump is 60 FPS to 120 FPS.  Console only players don't understand how big of a jump that actually is, but it's massive.

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I remember never getting the original XBox because wherever I played it, I hated the oversized controller, but since the 360, they've had the top controller by far.  I always have one heck of an adjustment when I turn on my Playstation in the spring/summer when I buy MLB The Show. 

Sony's controller is awful, IMO.  The worst part about it is the battery life.  The thing needs to constantly be plugged in and charged.  I personally don't like the sticks on it, either.  Found my thumb slips off more often than not.