Xbox Series X

showtime

List of most of the Devs/Publishers and what they are or could be doing
....or a list that I spent too long making....

2K (various)

• Rockstar and the Sports studios. Can't see much from the heavy hitters, Sony has the marketing for Red Dead and NBA2K.
  • 31st Union, new studio made up of former Sledgehammer Games devs, said to be announcing a new "ambitious" IP this year.
  • Cloud Chamber, in charge of the next Bioshock game...but the studio just was founded in 2019. SO unlikely we see them until 2022 at the earliest.
  • Firaxis Games, not really the type of show to do a Civ game.
  • Hangar 13, released the last Mafia game in 2016. Announced they were making a new IP in 2018.

4A Games (Metro)

• Metro Exodus released last year, and we could see them do a next gen update to it (and its predecessors) Not really the place for that.

Activision

• Beenox & High Moon Studios - Kind of been subjected to assisting the larger teams, doesn't seem like anything will be changing there anytime soon.
  • Infinity Ward - Just did the COD last year and Phil has essentially said they were done paying for COD timed exclusives.
  • Raven Software - See High Moon
  • Sledgehammer Games - Will possibly be on the COD 2021, but has been assiting IW and others since 2017.
  • Toys for Bob -  Worked on the Crash and Spyro remakes...maybe they do a Tony Hawk game at some point? But not really the stage for that.
  • Treyarch - Up this year for Call of Duty, like I said with IW...not likely going to be on an Xbox stage.
  • Vicarious Visions - has been assisting or making smaller games since Skylanders died out.

Bethesda / ZeniMax

• Arkane - They helped with a couple of other games, but announce Deathloop last year.
  • Bethesda Game Studios - Starfield could show up here, unlikely Elder Scrolls VI does at all though
  • id Software - Just released Doom Eternal, could see a next gen version at another event.
  • MachineGames - Last full game they put out was Wolfenstein II in 2017, seemingly split their team to work on a bigger project while they and Arkane put out Wolfenstein Youngblood last year. Kinda of game that would look great with some of the text they want to show off, especially the boosted FPS on console.
  • Tango Gameworks  - Last made Evil Within 2 in 2017, Announced Ghostwire: Tokyo last year, however one of the creative directors left last Sept...so who knows.

Bandai Namco

• No clue, but Phil went to Japan a ton so we could see some japanese games make their way over.
  • Dontnod Ent. - They announced Twin Mirror and also Tell Me Why has some sort of exclusivity
  • Tales or Arise maybe? but didnt seem like a big game
  • Maybe Soulcalibur 7, have Senua from Hellblade in it?

Bungie

• Phil is a big Destiny player and has a good relationship over there. Potentially we see next gen Destiny announcing the Fall expansion. If they did this it would likely come with announcements that Xbox likes to push like crossplay finally coming to the game.
  • Still too early to announce the next game they are doing with the Netease money they got in 2018.

Capcom

• Phil and Xbox have solid relationships with the teams of Capcom. Could get a out of nowhere 2nd party game, or just some unannounced game. But hard to say.

CD Projekt Red

• Could be showing off how Cyberpunk will look next gen, but we should get some gameplay regardless.

Dambuster Studios

• Took over the Dead Island 2 development last year, forgot about that game.

As far as EA goes,

• Bioware - Dragon Age, though I'm not sure if they want to show gameplay off yet.  Also Bioware/EA seemingly have backed off of their hard stance on not doing Mass Effect remasters. Kinda hoping they do next gen remakes. Like the only game I want that for. Update the whole thing. Add the ME3 combat to ME1. Not gonna happen but I can dream.
  • we'll probably get FIFA and a snippet of Madden. Don't think it'll be a ton. But them having FIFA in the XSX reveal seemingly says they got the marketing rights back and Xbox has had a way better relationship with EA this gen.
  • Dice is going to be silent this year it seems
  • Maxis wont be showing any Sims stuff
  • Motive Studios - Was built up as the next huge new studio and has been silent since 2015. Leaks a couple months ago have pointed to them doing a Star Wars game called "Project Maverick" that.
  • it wont be at this event, but make a new Peggle you cowards
  • Respawn - Their secondary team just released SW Jedi: Fallen Order, but the main main team has been dorment since 2016 with Titanfall 2.  Parts of the larger studio doing side projects like Apex Legends and a VR experience. Could very well get an announcement for their next thing here. If they do it wouldn't likely be out til next year. If it is a Fall 2020 release it'll be with Sony, since Xbox already has Halo this fall to promote.

FromSoftware

• Elden Ring will almost definitely be there, Sekiro maybe gets a visual boost down the line but not here.

PlatinumGames

• Babylon's Fall, has timed console exclusivity with Playstation. Maybe Project G.G but doesn't seem big enough.

Saber Interactive

• Sure they'll do something for last year's well received World War Z. Helping with the Crytek remaster.

Sega

• Maybe the newest Yakuza game, Panzer Dragoon. Other older franchise.

Smilegate

• Crossfire X is for now only coming to Xbox and PC, has a campaign made by Remedy.

Square Enix

• Crystal Dynamics - Working on the Avengers game that seemingly has zero hype going for it up to it's Sept 2020 release.
  • People Can Fly - Outriders is do out this year for next gen and current gen
  • Techland - Dying Light 2, game has gone silent for a awhile and do out this year.
  • Platinum - Babylon's Fall, has timed console exclusivity with Playstation. Maybe self published Project G.G
  • FF7 remake but with the exclusivity it probably just gets announced on twitter

Starbreeze

• Overkill - A game called Storm, co-op FPS. If it's like their other games it'll be a solid smaller studio game.

Team Ninja

• Nioh 2 was a playstation exclusive and came out in March.

Ubisoft

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla has been confirmed
  • Gods & Monsters was supposed to come out but hasnt
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Quarantine
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (I think this will be Sony marketed)
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Skull & Bones

Volition

• The new Saint's Row has been the sole game they've worked on since 2017

WB

• Avalanche - could be the lead or assisting another studio on the Harry Potter RPG
  • Monolith - Shadow of War came out in 2017, but no whispers of a game from them that I've seen.
    Could be announced next year. Unless they are behind the Harry Potter RPG
  • NetherRealm - Could announce Injustice 3, however if I'm WB and I'm announcing a Batman game and/or another DC game I think this happens later.
  • Rocksteady - Been silent since 2015 besides the VR experience.  Supposedly not doing to next Batman game, could be a whole bunch of things. Maybe even Harry Potter.
  • WB Montreal - rumored Batman game
  • Turtle Rock Studios - WB is publishing their next game after Evolve called Back 4 Blood, which is a spiritual sequel to Left 4 Dead that they had to leave behind with Valve.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

WB

• Turtle Rock Studios - WB is publishing their next game after Evolve called Back 4 Blood, which is a spiritual sequel to Left 4 Dead that they had to leave behind with Valve.

Huh, didn't realize WB bought Turtle Rock.

Announced that this Thursday’s show will be the first in a series called Xbox 20/20, which will be shows/announcements throughout the year about next gen and all things Xbox.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/05/05/xbox-2020-the-future-of-xbox/

The May event, this Thursday, on 3rd party and first look next gen gameplay

For the Xbox 20/20 May update, we will focus on giving you a first look at next-gen gameplay, trailers and sneak peeks from a wide variety of publishing partners and independent developers across the globe and industry, including Ubisoft’s recently announced Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, and hear from game creators about what they’re doing with their games on Xbox Series X.

We’ll be confirming games that utilize our new Smart Delivery feature, which ensures that you always play the best version of the games you own for your console, across generations. And all the games you’ll see will be Xbox Series X Optimized, meaning they are built to take advantage of the powerful Xbox Series X features that make games look and feel incredible, including 4K resolution at up to 120 frames per second, DirectStorage, hardware-accelerated DirectX raytracing, super-fast load times and much more.

June will be focused on Hardware and services.

In June, the company will highlight the Xbox platform and services, and July’s session is intended to cover games produced by Microsoft’s own 15 game studios, including the next iteration of its biggest franchise, “Halo.” The Redmond, Washington-based company had originally planned to unveil many of the details about the new products next month at the E3 conference, which has been canceled

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-05/microsoft-to-pitch-new-xbox-game-console-with-monthly-showcases

First Party Games event will be in July.

In July, we will dedicate time to focus on the incredible games coming from Xbox Game Studios. A number of our studio teams are looking forward to sharing first looks at new gameplay, insights from development teams being optimized for Xbox Series X, and brand-new game announcements.  We cannot wait to share this initial look at what some of those teams are working on.

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

List of most of the Devs/Publishers and what they are or could be doing
....or a list that I spent too long making....

2K (various)

• Rockstar and the Sports studios. Can't see much from the heavy hitters, Sony has the marketing for Red Dead and NBA2K.
  • 31st Union, new studio made up of former Sledgehammer Games devs, said to be announcing a new "ambitious" IP this year.
  • Cloud Chamber, in charge of the next Bioshock game...but the studio just was founded in 2019. SO unlikely we see them until 2022 at the earliest.
  • Firaxis Games, not really the type of show to do a Civ game.
  • Hangar 13, released the last Mafia game in 2016. Announced they were making a new IP in 2018.

4A Games (Metro)

• Metro Exodus released last year, and we could see them do a next gen update to it (and its predecessors) Not really the place for that.

Activision

• Beenox & High Moon Studios - Kind of been subjected to assisting the larger teams, doesn't seem like anything will be changing there anytime soon.
  • Infinity Ward - Just did the COD last year and Phil has essentially said they were done paying for COD timed exclusives.
  • Raven Software - See High Moon
  • Sledgehammer Games - Will possibly be on the COD 2021, but has been assiting IW and others since 2017.
  • Toys for Bob -  Worked on the Crash and Spyro remakes...maybe they do a Tony Hawk game at some point? But not really the stage for that.
  • Treyarch - Up this year for Call of Duty, like I said with IW...not likely going to be on an Xbox stage.
  • Vicarious Visions - has been assisting or making smaller games since Skylanders died out.

Bethesda / ZeniMax

• Arkane - They helped with a couple of other games, but announce Deathloop last year.
  • Bethesda Game Studios - Starfield could show up here, unlikely Elder Scrolls VI does at all though
  • id Software - Just released Doom Eternal, could see a next gen version at another event.
  • MachineGames - Last full game they put out was Wolfenstein II in 2017, seemingly split their team to work on a bigger project while they and Arkane put out Wolfenstein Youngblood last year. Kinda of game that would look great with some of the text they want to show off, especially the boosted FPS on console.
  • Tango Gameworks  - Last made Evil Within 2 in 2017, Announced Ghostwire: Tokyo last year, however one of the creative directors left last Sept...so who knows.

Bandai Namco

• No clue, but Phil went to Japan a ton so we could see some japanese games make their way over.
  • Dontnod Ent. - They announced Twin Mirror and also Tell Me Why has some sort of exclusivity
  • Tales or Arise maybe? but didnt seem like a big game
  • Maybe Soulcalibur 7, have Senua from Hellblade in it?

Bungie

• Phil is a big Destiny player and has a good relationship over there. Potentially we see next gen Destiny announcing the Fall expansion. If they did this it would likely come with announcements that Xbox likes to push like crossplay finally coming to the game.
  • Still too early to announce the next game they are doing with the Netease money they got in 2018.

Capcom

• Phil and Xbox have solid relationships with the teams of Capcom. Could get a out of nowhere 2nd party game, or just some unannounced game. But hard to say.

CD Projekt Red

• Could be showing off how Cyberpunk will look next gen, but we should get some gameplay regardless.

Dambuster Studios

• Took over the Dead Island 2 development last year, forgot about that game.

As far as EA goes,

• Bioware - Dragon Age, though I'm not sure if they want to show gameplay off yet.  Also Bioware/EA seemingly have backed off of their hard stance on not doing Mass Effect remasters. Kinda hoping they do next gen remakes. Like the only game I want that for. Update the whole thing. Add the ME3 combat to ME1. Not gonna happen but I can dream.
  • we'll probably get FIFA and a snippet of Madden. Don't think it'll be a ton. But them having FIFA in the XSX reveal seemingly says they got the marketing rights back and Xbox has had a way better relationship with EA this gen.
  • Dice is going to be silent this year it seems
  • Maxis wont be showing any Sims stuff
  • Motive Studios - Was built up as the next huge new studio and has been silent since 2015. Leaks a couple months ago have pointed to them doing a Star Wars game called "Project Maverick" that.
  • it wont be at this event, but make a new Peggle you cowards
  • Respawn - Their secondary team just released SW Jedi: Fallen Order, but the main main team has been dorment since 2016 with Titanfall 2.  Parts of the larger studio doing side projects like Apex Legends and a VR experience. Could very well get an announcement for their next thing here. If they do it wouldn't likely be out til next year. If it is a Fall 2020 release it'll be with Sony, since Xbox already has Halo this fall to promote.

FromSoftware

• Elden Ring will almost definitely be there, Sekiro maybe gets a visual boost down the line but not here.

PlatinumGames

• Babylon's Fall, has timed console exclusivity with Playstation. Maybe Project G.G but doesn't seem big enough.

Saber Interactive

• Sure they'll do something for last year's well received World War Z. Helping with the Crytek remaster.

Sega

• Maybe the newest Yakuza game, Panzer Dragoon. Other older franchise.

Smilegate

• Crossfire X is for now only coming to Xbox and PC, has a campaign made by Remedy.

Square Enix

• Crystal Dynamics - Working on the Avengers game that seemingly has zero hype going for it up to it's Sept 2020 release.
  • People Can Fly - Outriders is do out this year for next gen and current gen
  • Techland - Dying Light 2, game has gone silent for a awhile and do out this year.
  • Platinum - Babylon's Fall, has timed console exclusivity with Playstation. Maybe self published Project G.G
  • FF7 remake but with the exclusivity it probably just gets announced on twitter

Starbreeze

• Overkill - A game called Storm, co-op FPS. If it's like their other games it'll be a solid smaller studio game.

Team Ninja

• Nioh 2 was a playstation exclusive and came out in March.

Ubisoft

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla has been confirmed
  • Gods & Monsters was supposed to come out but hasnt
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Quarantine
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (I think this will be Sony marketed)
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Skull & Bones

Volition

• The new Saint's Row has been the sole game they've worked on since 2017

WB

• Avalanche - could be the lead or assisting another studio on the Harry Potter RPG
  • Monolith - Shadow of War came out in 2017, but no whispers of a game from them that I've seen.
    Could be announced next year. Unless they are behind the Harry Potter RPG
  • NetherRealm - Could announce Injustice 3, however if I'm WB and I'm announcing a Batman game and/or another DC game I think this happens later.
  • Rocksteady - Been silent since 2015 besides the VR experience.  Supposedly not doing to next Batman game, could be a whole bunch of things. Maybe even Harry Potter.
  • WB Montreal - rumored Batman game

Oh god the amount of detail in this. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

I'm getting the vibe that Microsoft is gonna dominate Sony this generation.

Yeah.... No... Definitely not, lol. 

Microsoft is taking strides in the right direction but they still have a long way to go. 

Sony has the momentum and the trust from consumers, that will give them a considerable advantage over Microsoft from the start.

Basically people will buy a PS5 over a series X because Sony has the much stronger reputation right now which will undoubtedly push them off to a strong start whereas Microsoft has to completely rebuild their reputation after the disaster that this generation was for them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Microsoft is taking strides in the right direction but they still have a long way to go. 

Sony has the momentum and the trust from consumers, that will give them a considerable advantage over Microsoft from the start.

Basically people will buy a PS5 over a series X because Sony has the much stronger reputation right now which will undoubtedly push them off to a strong start whereas Microsoft has to completely rebuild their reputation after the disaster that this generation was for them.

I'd agree but PS4 Sales and Xbox sales in NA are incredibly close. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/441116/ps4-vs-xbox-one-in-the-usvgchartz-gap-chartsseptember-2019/

Granted these are older numbers but still, Xbox literally could not have had a worse launch yes the PS4 has doubled it overall in terms of units.

But the divide in north america is really close. 

We've also seen a quick rebound from Nintendo in terms of their worst home console ever (The Wii U) and god awful expectations from fans to probably their strongest console in terms of gaming since the N64. Obviously they had other successful consoles between the WiiU and switch but still there's potential for micosoft to hit the ground running.

The economy being the way it is however might mean slow console growth for the first 2-3 years or so since PS4s and Xbox 1's will be dirt cheap when the next gen consoles launch.

• Like 1

From what I can see on Reddit, there are an awful lot of people getting a Series X.  I think really snap type of statements are influencing some people:  Series X has the faster CPU and GPU.  A lot of console gamers may not know a ton about computer specs, but most people know about the processor and graphics card as being hugely important.  Also, backwards compatibility is huge for a lot of people and this is an area that Sony sorely lacks in.

Faster CPU

Faster GPU

Fully backwards compatible

Those three things are great hooks for the casual gamer or people not knowledgeable about all this other mumbo jumbo going on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:
8 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

I'm getting the vibe that Microsoft is gonna dominate Sony this generation.

Basically people will buy a PS5 over a series X because Sony has the much stronger reputation right now which will undoubtedly push them off to a strong start whereas Microsoft has to completely rebuild their reputation after the disaster that this generation was for them

I don’t think necessarily Xbox will dominate, there is too much brand loyalty to Sony, especially worldwide.

Like @SwoleXmad pointed out though Xbox could regain the lead in North America, which will be seem like winning the generation for sure. 

Xbox being so transparent and owning the next gen conversation will start paying off. Like@showtime said they are really putting in the work to pick up the casual the middle-core audience with specs and soon games. Them putting 3rd party first is kinda taking the Sony approach from last gen (though not going full 360 yet and paying for exclusives cause Phil thinks that’s anti-consumer). Think how many multi-plat games Sony made seem exclusive by how they marketed it. I bet some people still think Destiny is exclusive. By having these all on their stage they can directly tie them to the Series X, and right now it’s some of the heaviest hitters we know about in Cyberpunk, Elden Ring, FIFA, and Assassins Creed Valhalla.

Thursday afternoon next gen FIFA is going to be everywhere news wise. Especially with no sports going on. And Xbox branding will be all over it, potentially same with Madden. That’s gonna get a lot of attention from casual gamers.

If they have indeed won back 3rd Party support...and carried the momentum from the Xbox One X of being the place multi-plats look and run best on...and won the Power argument handily. Are miles ahead on services like Gamepass. I think they really do have the momentum going into this gen. Especially with how quiet Sony is being and if they do indeed need to delay it’s release it could give Xbox a big lead.

I think it’s great for the industry. This will force Sony to do better things. Just like Sony dominating last gen made Microsoft go out and start/buy all these studios. They now have slightly more 1st party teams in the AAA space than Sony does...which is wild considering how little Xbox 1st party/2nd party has offered since the early 360 days. All these studios get to be let loose creatively, a lot of them are glad to not have to go begging for every new game they do and be on that razors edge of closing. Hopefully it’ll make Sony more pro-consumer with stuff like a Gamepass, supporting and pushing cross play, doing stuff like Smart Delivery and not make people have to rebuy all their games, and give the people full back compat. 

Yeah, I think a lot of people in the US will simply hear "Xbox has better graphics" and go that route, especially if the rumors are true and Xbox price matches Sony. Globally, however, I'd be really surprised if Sony didn't maintain it's lead throughout next gen. The PS4 is just so much more popular in Europe and Japan (the latter in which Xbox is essentially non-existent) and many of those fans will just stick to what's familiar and go with the PS5. This really is dependent on just how big of a disparity we see graphically in the PS5 vs Xbox. I think the difference could be fairly significant based on what we know about the architecture, but I'd be lying if I said it's set in stone. The results of custom hardware could be tough to predict. There's no way to know for sure until companies like DigitalFoundry get their hands on them and do benchmarks with popular 3rd party games, probably around August/September.

Still, the race should hopefully be much closer this time and, if Xbox shows off some fantastic games this Summer, they have a shot at winning back a lot of people.

Assuming nothing catastrophic happens: My prediction is Xbox outselling Sony early on in the US, while being slightly outsold across Europe. If the disparity in graphics begins to show and Xbox finally puts out competent first party single player games (a market they haven't been able to infiltrate since the original Xbox), I could see them holding a slight lead over Sony overall. If the hardware difference is never pronounced and Xbox games continue to be one dimensional in terms of games, then I think Sony will hold a moderate lead over the generation.

Edited by elevators_rule

55 minutes ago, elevators_rule said:

Assuming nothing catastrophic happens: My prediction is Xbox outselling Sony early on in the US, while being slightly outsold across Europe. If the disparity in graphics begins to show and Xbox finally puts out competent first party single player games (a market they haven't been able to infiltrate since the original Xbox), I could see them holding a slight lead over Sony overall. If the hardware difference is never pronounced and Xbox games continue to be one dimensional in terms of games, then I think Sony will hold a moderate lead over the generation.

Seems about right.

Xbox seemingly is set up well for that.

In the first 2/3 years they’ll have at least Halo, the rebooted Fable, Hellblade 2, The Initiative’s game in 2022 maybe. Then Obsidian’s two games and inXile’s RPG as far as narrative games go.

But they have to really land it with these games to mean anything. If halo is lukewarm it could really hurt the whole thing.

Im guessing Sony will have Spider-Man 2 in Fall 2021 or early 2022, Horizon Zero Dawn sequel next spring and maybe the next God of War in 2023...but that doesn’t seem super close. I’m sure they’ll rerelease TLOU 2 and Ghosts as next gen versions with the console. Wondering if they have some 2nd party exclusives coming in year 1 to bolster the lineup. Could see like a Bloodborne 2 in spring 2022 too.

47 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Seems about right.

Xbox seemingly is set up well for that.

In the first 2/3 years they’ll have at least Halo, the rebooted Fable, Hellblade 2, The Initiative’s game in 2022 maybe. Then Obsidian’s two games and inXile’s RPG as far as narrative games go.

But they have to really land it with these games to mean anything. If halo is lukewarm it could really hurt the whole thing.

Im guessing Sony will have Spider-Man 2 in Fall 2021 or early 2022, Horizon Zero Dawn sequel next spring and maybe the next God of War in 2023...but that doesn’t seem super close. I’m sure they’ll rerelease TLOU 2 and Ghosts as next gen versions with the console. Wondering if they have some 2nd party exclusives coming in year 1 to bolster the lineup. Could see like a Bloodborne 2 in spring 2022 too.

Yeah, those games are definitely all ones we need to keep our eyes on. They could make or break Microsoft next generation.

Those are all fantastic exclusives for Sony, but for me personally, I'd be really disappointed if that was the bulk of their lineup. One of the things Sony has done well over Microsoft is constantly innovate with new, single player IPs. I think if they want to continue their success, it's important they keep that trend going. If they get content and all we see is Spiderman 2, new God of War, new Uncharted, new HZD, etc. it would be really disappointing.

• Like 1