Sturm: Off and Def. breakdowns vs Giants

WizardHawk

Interesting notes on those snap counts: out of 616 total defensive snaps (56*11), 111 of them, 18%, belonged to players in their first ever game action (Awuzie, Smith, Charlton, and Tapper), and 216 of them, 35%, belonged to players in their first ever game action for the Cowboys (the aforementioned four plus Carroll, Paea, and Price).

I don't know how this compares to average league rates- probably on the higher end. It doesn't account for Jeff Heath going from a ~25% snap player across his first four seasons to a 100% snap player on Sunday, but it also doesn't note that Smith and Tapper are redshirts, nor that Paea has played for Marinelli in the past.

Basically, our defensive has had a lot of turnover in the last year, but it still has a solid blend of youth and experience.

Good read. 

Confirms some of what I thought, saying that they seemed obsessed trying to pass the ball to Dez. 

The RPO thing is interesting.  He says that the shotgun 11 formation is the one that "drives the RPO game" but then I look at the chart and see that only 4 of 29 plays from that formation were runs.  So you're telling me that Dak has a RPO maybe 29 plays and he picks pass 25 times? Seems more like a run as a last resort option.

1st and goal on the 3 and we pass.

2nd and goal on 3 and we have a RPO.  Dak chooses to pass.  But the RPO comes from the Shotgun11.  This isn't all of a sudden Daks fault because it was an RPO.  I'm guessing Dak doesn't choose the formation.

Here's my decoding Linehan:

"So Dak you have a run pass option here. You are on the 3 and probably going to see a stacked box because it makes absolute sense to run it here. After all, it's 3 yards, we have Zeke, and the best OL in football. But never mind that. You have a run pass option here, I'm going to send you out there in the shotgun and 3 wide against a great DL's heavy set. But you have the option to run.  Don't EFF it up, QB who has 17 career games under his belt."

3rd and goal you almost have to pass, and this time the D knows it. 

The thing we, Linehan, maybe Dak, need to realize is that we can run effectively even when the defense knows it.  Look to the 4th qt for example. Not our first drive in the 4th where we passed with the lead over and over(8 passes on 11 plays I believe) and punted. But our 2nd possession later in the 4th where we ran the ball Iiterally like 8 plays in a row. If you look at Elliotts avg. During that span late in the game against the same loaded up defense that knows it's coming, it isn't that bad.  We actually ended up driving and getting a FG out of it. Just running over and over in succession.

Hopefully both play caller and QB trust Zeke and the bigs a little more going forward. But given Linehans resume, I have my doubts.

3 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Plus it's not like a whole hell of a lot is going on in here anyway. Just trying to make sure EVERYONE knows that I disagreed with about 8 of the called plays last week.  I shan't let those plays slip into history unheard of.

Hey, anything that brings discussion is welcomed. We need to catch up with the Eagles and Skins.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:07 AM, Matts4313 said:

I argued like a madman that Lawrence as good as O Vernon 2 years ago when the Giants signed him. And then D Law had the off year last year. We Cowboys fans gloss over him too often. He isnt Ware, but he isnt a scrub either. 

Very few in history are anything like Ware and thats why he will be enshrined.

Problem as I see it with Lawrence is that he plays with all braun. What separates the good-handful-of-games edge guys from the "wow, that guys a stud" is the ability to play with brain also. Then yes, you have your once a decade types like Ware, but those step-below-the-ware types play with more than muscle and fire.

Lawrence has yet to add to his arsenal any real pass rush moves. He makes bad decisions vs the run more often than not, and gets lost in basic, obvious, misdirections and play actions. He has the physical side down now, but needs to step up his mental aspect if hes wants to remain a Cowboy; I cant see this team giving him a big deal knowing he can lax off vs the run or make a costly game costing error. 

Archived