WEEK 17 GDT - @SEATTLE

N4L

So @Forge mentioned our defense really hasn't been THAT bad lately and just unclutch, so I went back game by game starting from the Ravens game to see the numbers:

Ravens - Passing YPA (net) 4.4, total YPP 4.6

Saints - Passing YPA 8.5, total YPP 6.8

Falcons - Passing YPA 4.9, total YPP 4.8

Rams - Passing YPA 7.0, total YPP 5.6

Seahawks - Passing YPA 5.4, total YPP 4.9

Honestly, that statement checks out to be true. Got lit up against the Saints no sugar coating it, but haven't been that bad aside from that game. Rams had good numbers but the rest we were fine. The problem is, we are dominating the YPP category against our opponents yet barely hanging on to wins or losing tight games. That to me has to do with Shanny's late game coaching decisions. We HAVE to get more aggressive point blank or he needs to start calling some better plays. Granted, just unfortunate vs ATL that Kittle fumbles a likely game clinching first down and then Garland has a tough penalty last night, but these need to be double digit wins for us. Sure Shanahan is still young, but these late game clock management and play calling is probably the single biggest reason that Andy Reid has never won a SB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I have it on the game file. I'll come back with a GIF of it. But it was solid. They did show a replay, and Wilson's entire body wasn't completely across. 

As for the Warner PI, Hollister looked like he initiated contact with Warner first. Also, people aren't talking about the BS call on Garland. When was the last time you heard something called like that? Garland can't hear, and there is no way that he would know the play is over since he was blocking down field. Unsportsmanlike conduct? There was nothing unsportsmanlike about it. Then the defender presses Garland down after the play also. Nothing was called on him. 

I agree. If anything, in the spirit of sportsmanship, these two acts (Garland blocking after the whistle the defender shoving back) should simply have cancelled each other. It was a potentially game-changing penalty as well. Giving us a third and very long at that point in the game... No seattle fan should feel like the refs gave us the game. They simply couldn't score at the very end. End of story.

56 minutes ago, N4L said:

Seattle fans complaining about a non defensive pass interference call is hilarious to me

It's like they didn't even watch their team for the last 9 years. 

THEY USED TO HOLD ON EVERYPLAY AND IT NEVER GOT CALLED. seriously, **** off lol 

That's not true! They were always called on holding at least once a game! In the first quarter! Then the refs let it go for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wait, we're talking Wilson's TD pass, correct? I thought it wasn't a forward pass since his foot as it released it was still behind the LOS. Super close but good call IMO.

As for the non-call on Warner, that could go either way. But the pass was so off the mark, I don't think the refs were going to call that one. The offensive player definitely initiated contact, but Warner did hold him, so wouldn't argue that one way or another. Again, pass was so off that even if Warner didn't grab him, almost zero chance he gets to it anyways....But the Seahawks got a questionable DPI call on Williams so it cancels out. 

Oh yes, the Williams DPI... I didn't see anything that looked like DPI on that play. He didn't even raise his arms, he just played his position as the receiver was leaning against him. The way I saw it. They didn't really insist on showing the replay much, as it appeared to be obvious DPI to everyone else...

4 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Oh yes, the Williams DPI... I didn't see anything that looked like DPI on that play. He didn't even raise his arms, he just played his position as the receiver was leaning against him. The way I saw it. They didn't really insist on showing the replay much, as it appeared to be obvious DPI to everyone else...

It was a bailout call. Like the pass should never have been thrown and Williams had great positioning and Lockett just flops towards the end getting the DPI call. Super weak, and it sucks that if Shanahan challenged it, no way the refs overturn it. Gifted the Seahawks a TD that possession. 

• Like 1

I was disappointed not to see more ILB blitzing. In the first seattle game, Warner was a monster blitzing right up Wilson's face. I had no problem trying to rush only 4 as much as possible, but dialing a few more Warner blitzes could have made a huge difference. 

4 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Because no one else is finishing. When Ford was on the other end those were sacks or at least knock downs. Now the QB can step away from the pressure and no ones there. 

It's amazingly frustrating at this point. Down season for Buck all around, and particularly in the pass rushing department. AA has been great, but he's never been an elite pass rusher and I do think that he came back down to earth on the back half of the season with that, though his all around play was still strong. Bosa just hasn't learned to be an elite finisher yet at the NFL level. Sometimes that takes some time. He also has serious balance issues and is always falling lol. 1 sack the final 5 weeks between those two. That just can't happen and the team expect to have a good defense. 

4 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Because no one else is finishing. When Ford was on the other end those were sacks or at least knock downs. Now the QB can step away from the pressure and no ones there. 

The thing is with Ford, his speed rushes would force the QB to step in allowing one of our interior DL to get sacks. While Bosa puts a lot of pressure, he's not finishing at an elite level and QBs are able to get away. Like rushing Zettle as many times as we did on the edge was pointless as that man generated ZERO pass rush of any sort and it would allow Wilson to get on the edge. What Saleh needs to do if we see them next time is implement some corner blitzes or have our LBs come from the edge. When we started to blitz Wilson, that is when their offense started to slow down. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's amazingly frustrating at this point. Down season for Buck all around, and particularly in the pass rushing department. AA has been great, but he's never been an elite pass rusher and I do think that he came back down to earth on the back half of the season with that, though his all around play was still strong. Bosa just hasn't learned to be an elite finisher yet at the NFL level. Sometimes that takes some time. He also has serious balance issues and is always falling lol. 1 sack the final 5 weeks between those two. That just can't happen and the team expect to have a good defense. 

I actually don't think this was a down year for Buckner, kind of what I expected all along. He got 12 sacks last season but I never saw him as that type of player. Buckner is a guy that will get 7-9 sacks a year. He's yet to replicate his best season as a pro as that was in year two, but he's still a beast. We just need something out of the edge. Even if we just had Blair with Ford being out that would have made a huge difference. Blair was putting on pressure a very high rate and having a great season before his injury. Shame. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I actually don't think this was a down year for Buckner, kind of what I expected all along. He got 12 sacks last season but I never saw him as that type of player. Buckner is a guy that will get 7-9 sacks a year. He's yet to replicate his best season as a pro as that was in year two, but he's still a beast. We just need something out of the edge. Even if we just had Blair with Ford being out that would have made a huge difference. Blair was putting on pressure a very high rate and having a great season before his injury. Shame. 

I thought Buckner was not great this year. Not just in pass rushing...I can live with 7-8 sacks (and I didn't predict him to replicate the 12 he had last year at the start of the season on the pod), but I also thought he was completely invisible for stretches of time and didn't make nearly the impact he did last year all around. He wasn't as good against the run in my opinion, he definitely didn't blow up o-lines the way he did last year (running or passing). He just wasn't a force for really long stretches of time this year. I thought he was fine, but that's it for the most part. Could simply be because the defensive layers were better all around him. 

• Like 1

Agree with both you guys. And I’d say Bosa doesn’t have the bend when he goes wide. I think he does an amazing job of putting the rest of the line in position to get sacks.  I mean when you look at each sack, Bosa’s usually standing right next to whoever gets the sack. Almost every time.  I’m guessing if we looked at Ford’s sacks this year, we’d see a lot of the QB feeling the pressure from the back side from Bosa and Ford’s quick enough to adjust his path to where the QB is moving to escape Bosa. 

As for Buck, when both those guys push from the edge and force the QB up in the pocket, he should be cleaning up as the QB steps straight into him. I agree he’s not your typical 12 sack guy. But if we have elite edge rush I see QBs stepping right up into sacks. If Buck was having a great year, I think Bosa’s getting some of those sacks because he does end up past the QB so often, and that wouldn’t happen if Buck was pushing the QB back. 

Just now, Forge said:

I thought Buckner was not great this year. Not just in pass rushing...I can live with 7-8 sacks (and I didn't predict him to replicate the 12 he had last year at the start of the season on the pod), but I also thought he was completely invisible for stretches of time and didn't make nearly the impact he did last year all around. He wasn't as good against the run in my opinion, he definitely didn't blow up o-lines the way he did last year (running or passing). He just wasn't a force for really long stretches of time this year. I thought he was fine, but that's it for the most part. Could simply be because the defensive layers were better all around him. 

Well, he often times had to deal with double teams and the wide-9 isn't the best of defenses for him, but he was still really good. I just think others like Bosa/Armstead out shined him this year and that made it seem like Buckner wasn't as good....But I thought he was still close to last season, but clearly not as good as year two. 

Btw, we had no answer for Homer in either the passing or running game and yet they gave Beast Mode 15 carries and only 10 for Homer. Um, thanks Seattle? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Btw, we had no answer for Homer in either the passing or running game and yet they gave Beast Mode 15 carries and only 10 for Homer. Um, thanks Seattle? 

Very, very weird decisions in the run personnel. I didn't understand that at all either. Homer looked good...and explosive.