WEEK 17 GDT - @SEATTLE

N4L

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Very, very weird decisions in the run personnel. I didn't understand that at all either. Homer looked good...and explosive. 

Maybe they really wanted to play the Eagles next week. They had no shot at the #1 or 2 seed, so Russell threw short of the goal line on purpose. Conspiracy theories.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Very, very weird decisions in the run personnel. I didn't understand that at all either. Homer looked good...and explosive. 

Homer looked good from the opening touch and I knew we were going to have trouble with him. We are better against bruisers with our front, but these shifty backs can give us some issues. So I was very surprised he wasn't getting more carries, but maybe he's not built to get more than 10-12 carries game, ala Breida? I will say though, it is SUPER impressive that Beast Mode was able to run the ball 15 times after being out for so long and presumably not working out. Like that doesn't even make any sense. How does one do that? His body has to be SUPER sore today. 

The last half of the season we had to face the Seahawks twice, Packers, Ravens, Saints and the Rams. Definitely a daunting schedule, and we went 4-2 in these games, including wining at NO and SEA. Had the one slip up against the Falcons, but even they finished the season very strong with a four game winning streak I believe. The team is certainly battle tested but this break is much needed. Just having the extra day off after playing on Saturday gave the team more juice as they looked much more spry compared to the prior two weeks, so getting an additional week off should do wonders. 

Still a bit nervous about Ford since Maiocco said he's not convinced he returns since he's not even doing any rehab work....Possibly being cautious with him and wanting him to fully heal this time around? 

• Like 1

I just realized Greenlaw almost won us the first Seahawks game too. Remember his RZ pick of Wilson? That led to the missed FG by McLaughlin. Came up clutch with his RZ defense in both Seahawk games! 

Also, Gould has been much better since coming back from injury. I think he's only missed 2 kicks - an XP against the Falcons, and the 50+ yard FG against the Ravens. We'll definitely need him to hit at least one clutch kick in the playoffs if not more

Also, we've beat the Packers, Saints, and Seahawks already. There is a scenario where we could play the Vikings + Eagles. If we beat those 2 teams, then we will have beaten every NFC playoff team.

I'm rooting for the Eagles over Seahawks & Vikings over Saints next weekend. Eagles could realistically win, however the Vikings will probably lose.

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The last half of the season we had to face the Seahawks twice, Packers, Ravens, Saints and the Rams. Definitely a daunting schedule, and we went 4-2 in these games, including wining at NO and SEA. Had the one slip up against the Falcons, but even they finished the season very strong with a four game winning streak I believe. The team is certainly battle tested but this break is much needed. Just having the extra day off after playing on Saturday gave the team more juice as they looked much more spry compared to the prior two weeks, so getting an additional week off should do wonders. 

Still a bit nervous about Ford since Maiocco said he's not convinced he returns since he's not even doing any rehab work....Possibly being cautious with him and wanting him to fully heal this time around? 

I think if he wasn’t coming back he would have got surgery already. 

The schedule is good for us going forward. 13 days off, our opponent will have 6 and will need to travel. Then (if we win) we’ll have 8 days, and opponent will have 7 and will have to travel. 

I’m hoping for Seattle in two weeks. Toughest of three possibilities but feel like beating them twice will be amazing and will take away any doubts about who runs the west. Then I think New Orleans just because there’s something to prove there and love to play them off the turf. But I certainly won’t be upset if it’s the Packers. 

22 minutes ago, straighthate said:

The schedule is good for us going forward. 13 days off, our opponent will have 6 and will need to travel. Then (if we win) we’ll have 8 days, and opponent will have 7 and will have to travel. 

I’m hoping for Seattle in two weeks. Toughest of three possibilities but feel like beating them twice will be amazing and will take away any doubts about who runs the west. Then I think New Orleans just because there’s something to prove there and love to play them off the turf. But I certainly won’t be upset if it’s the Packers. 

To be clear, Maiocco wasn't saying he is out for the season just that he's not convinced he plays in our first playoff game....And if he hasn't been rehabbing that may be true that he is more likely for the NFCCG if we get there than the divisional round. But again, could be all part of the plan and the training staff wanting to be cautious with him until he is fully healthy. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I thought Buckner was not great this year. Not just in pass rushing...I can live with 7-8 sacks (and I didn't predict him to replicate the 12 he had last year at the start of the season on the pod), but I also thought he was completely invisible for stretches of time and didn't make nearly the impact he did last year all around. He wasn't as good against the run in my opinion, he definitely didn't blow up o-lines the way he did last year (running or passing). He just wasn't a force for really long stretches of time this year. I thought he was fine, but that's it for the most part. Could simply be because the defensive layers were better all around him. 

Yep, this is what I saw as well. He was better last year imo 

Less splash plays this season. There were fewer times he beat his man despite the fact that he was receiving less attention from offenses. Probably less plays to be made as well just from a volume standpoint considering there are only so many tackles etc to go around, but the eye test says he wasn't as good 

He played great last night though and Buckner has always started slow and gotten better as the year went on. He's probably a little worn down because he's played a lot of snaps this year. 

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I'm not ripping him. Just saying he is less dominant than he was last year 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I'm pulling for the Eagles b/c it's a given the Saints take care of the Vikings. I don't want Seattle again as Russell Wilson give the Niners defense fits all the time. I think they can beat up an injury riddled Eagles team and then host the NFC title game. I'd rather the Saints b/c I hate Aaron Rodgers & the Packers but I would imagine the Pack beat the Saints at home in the divisional round. If the Pack beat the Niners in the NFC title game it will be memories of the 90's all over again.

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Because no one else is finishing. When Ford was on the other end those were sacks or at least knock downs. Now the QB can step away from the pressure and no ones there. 

To play Mister Obvious for a moment... This would have been a more decisive SF win against a non-Greased Midget QB. Bosa was hungry AF, but the agility of his prey was so frustrating, as usual.. 

56 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah, was perfectly timed D-call (lucky for them, really), since Jimmy was doing a slow PA with back turned on the blitz side. Early on, Tomlinson was a mess.. losing the war of power and quicks. 

That opening 3rd Q TD drive for Seattle was 11 plays and 7 minutes long. Brutal, in getting their hype back up. Warner, over the middle, had to be an inch within tipping that pass. Spoon had tight coverage at the EZ back line, but WOULDN'T TURN to locate the ball. Infuriating! (like, where TF else is the WR gonna go???? He's clearly waiting for the ball, TURN AROUND! >:(

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, was perfectly timed D-call (lucky for them, really), since Jimmy was doing a slow PA with back turned on the blitz side. Early on, Tomlinson was a mess.. losing the war of power and quicks. 

That opening 3rd Q TD drive for Seattle was 11 plays and 7 minutes long. Brutal, in getting their hype back up. Warner, over the middle, had to be an inch within tipping that pass. Spoon had tight coverage at the EZ back line, but WOULDN'T TURN to locate the ball. Infuriating! (like, where TF else is the WR gonna go???? He's clearly waiting for the ball, TURN AROUND! >:(

I agree! The Metcalf touchdown on Spoon irritated me so much! Why wouldn’t u look back, if he would have it would have been a pick or at least incomplete. Probably why he got pulled 

18 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

yeah All this is getting quite annoying.

In fairness, that screen shot Sherm is showing is from after the pass had been thrown LOL. Crafty by the wily vet. He did run into him and initiate contact, but that screen shot is not what it was. 

He was absolutely leveraging his position into a push off. I have no doubt about that. You can see it clear as day - he initiates the contact and drives him backward, forcing his momentum the opposite of the ball location and then tries to peel off to make the catch, which is when Warner basically held him. You could honestly argue that this should have been either offsetting penalties, or none at all when you really watch it. Now granted, those type of OPI calls are rarely made, we all know that, but still. 

• Like 3