WEEK 17 GDT - @SEATTLE

N4L

So final DVOA rankings:

Offense - 7

Defense - 2

STs - 12

Sounds about right even though you can argue Pitt/Buffalo having better defenses. But the offense got much better once Sanders got on the team. Only the Ravens are the other team ranked both in the top 7 offensively and defensively and then Minnesota is the other team ranked in the top 10 in both categories. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Extend him, lower his 2020 salary. Move some of Jimmy G salary to bonus. Cut Coleman and McKinnon. Franchise Armstead, if no deal in place trade for 2020 pick. Sign AJ Green to one year deal.  

All of that sounds great except I would rather keep Sanders. One of our biggest issues has been injuries and green can't stay healthy. I am hoping Hurd will give us the size we need on the outside. I don't think Sanders will be super expensive. He has been great but he hasn't put up astronomical numbers for us, which will help us not overpay 

I would also just keep armstead and let him play out the tag if we couldn't sign a LTD. Run it back and try and win (again). I have a feeling we are just going to sign him though. Would be great to give Buckner a matching contract that is reasonable and sell both guys on being here/together for the long haul. I've floated the idea a few times of delaying the buck extension. Could backfire, like it did with AA. Imagine if we would have signed him for 9m per year - which is what he is making on the 5th year option. That would be a steal right now. So considering he hasn't had his best season as a pro (not a knock but he was more dominant in 2018) we should lock both guys down by moving money around as you have suggested

You forgot to give kittle a contract though. I feel like we kinda owe it to the guy to pay him. He's been an absolute warrior. I think we can try and haggle a bit right now because he won't make very much next year, and we can argue that by giving him more $$ upfront that we can discount him for a few years and then backload it or something. The weird thing about it is that it's simultaneously good business (rewarding a guy who has earned it) and bad business (giving a huge contract to a guy a year early when he has had injuries). 

I also would want to lock dj Jones down too lol he absolutely killed it this year and anytime a guy has a season ending injury while on his rookie contract in the midst of a career year, it's a good time to sit a the negotiating table. Sometimes guys will accept less money for security. Sometimes they won't ever return to form. Othertimes they are Steph curry lol 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So final DVOA rankings:

Offense - 7

Defense - 2

STs - 12

Sounds about right even though you can argue Pitt/Buffalo having better defenses. But the offense got much better once Sanders got on the team. Only the Ravens are the other team ranked both in the top 7 offensively and defensively and then Minnesota is the other team ranked in the top 10 in both categories. 

At one point we were on pace to be the best pass defense of all time. I think in week 12 or 13 we were giving up an average of 136 yards passing while winning most games by double digits. That's just absurd. It would be one thing if we were losing and teams were looking to kill clock, but giving up no passing yards while winning is pretty damn impressive. 

At the time I went back 20ish years and the lowest I found was 158 or something like that, in the early 2000s I believe. We averaged 169.2 which is amazing. I think the top 5 were all in the 170s, so it's still been an amazing year defensively

BBOOOSSSSAAAAA

• Like 1

I honestly have no clue and maybe no one else does, but with all this free agent and contract talk, what are teams thinking with contract structure with what looks like a work stoppage in two years. I just ask because if it looks like there’s gonna be a massive changes to the salary cap structure, do you back load everyone’s contract so you can sign everyone for next year, knowing the salary cap after that will be different or maybe irrelevant. 

I haven’t paid attention to what the players union is assuming they will hold out for but I’m guessing they want a larger share of the revenue and long term benefits. Anyone hear anything if predictions on the negotiations may change any FO’s outlook on contract negotiations this offseason?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Extend him, lower his 2020 salary. Move some of Jimmy G salary to bonus. Cut Coleman and McKinnon. Franchise Armstead, if no deal in place trade for 2020 pick. Sign AJ Green to one year deal.  

I think I’d rather sign Robby Anderson. He’s younger and more explosive. He can take the top off the defense and be a potent weapon for Shanahan. 

7 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think I’d rather sign Robby Anderson. He’s younger and more explosive. He can take the top off the defense and be a potent weapon for Shanahan. 

I think also, we need to notice how Emmanuel is being used. Over the past 5 weeks or so, he’s been a chain mover on slants and other quick breaking routes more than anything. It’s quite possible that Trent Taylor can eat those reps if healthy, though his health is always difficult to count on.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

My guess is that Anderson commands at least 11 million a season, maybe 12. I'll pass if that's the price.

Plus, I just don't care for taking the top off a defense that much. It's not a big enough piece of the gameplan for me. I'd sign Dorsett at a fraction if the cost to do that if necessary. Plus Anderson has off field issues

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

My guess is that Anderson commands at least 11 million a season, maybe 12. I'll pass if that's the price.

Plus, I just don't care for taking the top off a defense that much. It's not a big enough piece of the gameplan for me. I'd sign Dorsett at a fraction if the cost to do that if necessary. Plus Anderson has off field issues

Oh I think Shanny definitely wants a burner to utilize in the pass game. He's had one at every stop in his coaching career since becoming a OC. 

But its not something you commit that kind of money to. We can find a cheaper alternative or just find a guy in the middle rounds to do the job. Doesn't have to necessarily be a WR that's capable of competing for a starting position.

• Like 3

So I was watching the All-22 and wanted to see what happened on the TD to Moore that was called back. It was actually a great play call by the Seahawks but our back end misplayed it badly. Warner was matching up with Moore all the way through and then just stopped and then Spoon had a decision to make and played the underneath post but what I have the biggest issue with is that Harris was in no man's land. Like he HAS to use his instincts there and play Moore over the top since there was no other route for him to cover/help on. Like this is EXACTLY what Steve Smith was referring to after the Rams game. He said that our players just play their zone but you have to have a better feel and can't let receivers get behind you. Literally the ONLY receiver Harris had to defend there and he just let's him go free without helping. Our communication in the back end took such a huge hit once Tartt left. It's not about the plays the safeties make in this defense that matter, but it is the plays they prevent from happening is what matters the most. I'm pretty sure if Tartt is there that we defend that play much better and prevent the TD. Spoon may have technically had deep responsibility there and could have got deeper in his zone, but the Seahawks ran the perfect play there to make the CB hesitate just enough...But that's where if Harris picks up Moore, we still stop it.

• Like 2