Why do people think the NFC is so much better this year when it's really not?

Bolts223

4 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I mean if you want to ignore that the fact that the Patriots have nearly lost as many SB's as they have won, sure.

Regardless of that the Pats and Steelers have a combined 12 SB's, the Cowboys/49ers have a combined 10. It's not really that much of a difference between the top 2 franchises.

True. But with recency bias included, it gets a little more muddied. How many AFC teams have played in the Super Bowl this decade? 

It doesn't matter if the AFC has won more; few teams have been able to stand up to the Pats this decade, NFC included. But the AFC championship game isn't as big as the Super Bowl, and with the Pats dominating and making it to the Super Bowl basically every year, it's tough on the notoriety of the rest of the AFC. The Super is deemed a showdown between the two best teams in football. There have been a LOT of NFC teams making the cut as one of those top two teams in comparison to the AFC. When people (or at least me) think Rams, Packers, Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks, 49ers, Panthers, they think "oh! They were a Super Bowl team!" And for a while, at least, they're colored with the perception of being capable of a Super Bowl appearance. The Chiefs lost to the Pats less badly in the AFCCG than the Rams did in the SB last year. But people are still here saying that playoffs Andy Reid sucks (not going to argue this) even though he made it to the AFC equivalent of the Super Bowl and nearly won.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

True. But with recency bias included, it gets a little more muddied. How many AFC teams have played in the Super Bowl this decade? 

It doesn't matter if the AFC has won more; few teams have been able to stand up to the Pats this decade, NFC included. But the AFC championship game isn't as big as the Super Bowl, and with the Pats dominating and making it to the Super Bowl basically every year, it's tough on the notoriety of the rest of the AFC. The Super is deemed a showdown between the two best teams in football. There have been a LOT of NFC teams making the cut as one of those top two teams in comparison to the AFC. When people (or at least me) think Rams, Packers, Falcons, Eagles, Seahawks, 49ers, Panthers, they think "oh! They were a Super Bowl team!" And for a while, at least, they're colored with the perception of being capable of a Super Bowl appearance. The Chiefs lost to the Pats less badly in the AFCCG than the Rams did in the SB last year. But people are still here saying that playoffs Andy Reid sucks (not going to argue this) even though he made it to the AFC equivalent of the Super Bowl and nearly won.

Well this is people's perception and not reality.

The reality is that the Pats are a juggernaut and dynasty like the league has never seen before. If you made them switch conferences with like the Eagles, the AFC would all of a sudden be the parity conference and the NFC would be a conference that has been dominated by the Pats with occasional years where the Seahawks/Packers had runs. (Similar to how the AFC is with the Broncos/Ravens occasionally being the top dog in the AFC this decade)

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Well this is people's perception and not reality.

The reality is that the Pats are a juggernaut and dynasty like the league has never seen before. If you made them switch conferences with like the Eagles, the AFC would all of a sudden be the parity conference and the NFC would be a conference that has been dominated by the Pats with occasional years where the Seahawks/Packers had runs. (Similar to how the AFC is with the Broncos/Ravens occasionally being the top dog in the AFC this decade)

Right. But this thread is about people's perception and I was just answering the title question: "Why do people think the NFC is so much better this year when it's really not?"

8 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Right. But this thread is about people's perception and I was just answering the title question: "Why do people think the NFC is so much better this year when it's really not?"

Well I think a lot of it has to do with the NFC has more big market teams that naturally get more media hype than they deserve. While the AFC has small market teams that may not get as much credit comparatively.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Well I think a lot of it has to do with the NFC has more big market teams that naturally get more media hype than they deserve. While the AFC has small market teams that may not get as much credit comparatively.

And don't forget that teams like Jacksonville and Houston have are newer and have little to no history.

10 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

The NFC as a whole is still a superior conference.  Baltimore's the best team in the entire league, but the AFC as a whole couldn't compare.  

Superior? Maybe. But if so, it's slightly. The records say as much.

Buffalo should have beaten New England.  They had what it took to beat them, and they didn't.  

Not sure what this has to do with conference strength. If Buffalo is better but New ENgland is worse that's a wash for the AFC.

Tennessee is the potential dark horse in the postseason, but couldn't wrap it up against New Orleans. 

The fact that the 6th seed in the AFC is even competing is a sign of the AFC's improvement, honestly.

The only AFC team that Seattle lost to this season was in fact Baltimore.  They beat all the other AFC teams they faced in 2019.  

I mean, I would expect a top NFC team to beat the lesser teams in an AFC division. The 6 playoff teams for the AFC went 18-6 in games against the NFC. The NFC playoff teams will either wind up 18-6 or 17-7, depending on whether Philly or Dallas make it. The fact that Seattle went 3-1 against the AFC North isn't important. It's normal. Baltimore went 4-0 against the NFC West. New England swept the NFC East. KC went 3-1 against the NFC North despite Matt Moore playing two of those games. Most divisions winners and 10+ win teams went 3-1 or 4-0 against the opposing conference.

Kansas City is a top tier team in the AFC, and they lost to both Green Bay and San Francisco.  

KC did not play San Fran. They played Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, and Detroit. They beat Detroit and Chicago. They beat Minnesota with their backup QB. They played a close game against Green Bay, also with their backup QB. If Green Bay beating a Matt Moore led Chiefs team is a testament to the strength of the NFC, that's pretty sad.

When it comes down to it, you have multiple contenders for the Super Bowl from the NFC, but I think the general consensus is that the only surefire representative from the AFC conference this year is Baltimore.  

This is ultimately entirely subjective. Betting odds, for instance, actually have New England and Kansas City as more likely to win the superbowl than Seattle, Green Bay, or Minnesota, who I assume you're referring to as contenders in the NFC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I think the top 3 AFC teams are all better than the NFC's best team. I have a hard time seeing an NFC team hoisting the Lombardi this year.

You lost me there. 49ers are better than anyone in the AFC other than Baltimore.

Saints is a toss up. Only 2 teams in the league i have confidence in this year, solely based on this year and not history or pedigree is 49ers and Ravens. 

Just now, Bearerofnews said:

You lost me there. 49ers are better than anyone in the AFC other than Baltimore.

Saints is a toss up. Only 2 teams in the league i have confidence in this year, solely based on this year and not history or pedigree is 49ers and Ravens. 

It's your eye test based on nothing.

22 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

nope. Patriots are literally 2nd in every relevant metric.

Net points per drive, DVOA, SRS.

Try harder.

But not the most important / relevant metric, most handsome quarterback. 49ers and Jimmy G clearly second in this, well ahead of the Pats and trailing only the wonder that is Andy Dalton. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

But not the most important / relevant metric, most handsome quarterback. 49ers and Jimmy G clearly second in this, well ahead of the Pats and trailing only the wonder that is Andy Dalton. 

That's what gave the Bengals the power to secure the #1 overall pick.  Now he will be able to groom the QB of the future by giving him all of his hair and makeup tricks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

nope. Patriots are literally 2nd in every relevant metric.

Net points per drive, DVOA, SRS.

Try harder.

Yeah, playing a SOS of -1.1 one of the worst in the league, a weak SOV also. SF is better in both and MOV ratio to SOS is much more impressive. Their general performance metrics and SRS, DVOA, OSRS and DSRS and all team rankings are close enough to not really matter. NE outside of the Bills, has lost to every good team they played and honestly wasnt even competitive in some of those games. Not the case with SF. NE has padded their record vs a bunch of bad teams.

SF has been the better team, i think very few people would argue otherwise.