Why do people think the NFC is so much better this year when it's really not?

Bolts223

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The AFC has a better set of division winners

That's only because the NFC East exists lol. Minus the East, the NFC playoff teams edge out the AFC (I do think Seattle will be alright but wouldn't be upset if they aren't since there's a good chance we play them in the WC)

The NFC is like the SEC West in college football. Hate all you want too but we know its great. Case in point, as bad as everyone is saying the Rams season has been, if Zeurlein makes that FG in Seattle and if the Rams defense just makes one 3rd and 16 stop, they could be (10-5) and in the playoffs. Both chances the odds were great but its just has been that type of season for the Rams. The Cowboys have so much talent that we can see glimpses of how impressive they can look but yet they have a losing record. Heck as much as the Bucs and Falcons have struggled, both teams have shown they can compete to give themselves chances to win. The Cards are even a fun team to watch. The NFC is still the best and Ill take my chances of teams out of the NFC than AFC. I trust Baltimore, KC, and Pats but thats it in the AFC. You can pick a team in the NFC currently in the playoffs and it wouldnt shock me if any of those teams make a run to the Superbowl. So the NFC is also top heavy but from top to bottom they are the best as well. 

Just now, stl4life07 said:

The NFC is like the SEC West in college football. Hate all you want too but we know its great. Case in point, as bad as everyone is saying the Rams season has been, if Zeurlein makes that FG in Seattle and if the Rams defense just makes one 3rd and 16 stop, they could be (10-5) and in the playoffs. Both chances the odds were great but its just has been that type of season for the Rams. The Cowboys have so much talent that we can see glimpses of how impressive they can look but yet they have a losing record. Heck as much as the Bucs and Falcons have struggled, both teams have shown they can compete to give themselves chances to win. The Cards are even a fun team to watch. The NFC is still the best and Ill take my chances of teams out of the NFC than AFC. I trust Baltimore, KC, and Pats but thats it in the AFC. You can pick a team in the NFC currently in the playoffs and it wouldnt shock me if any of those teams make a run to the Superbowl. So the NFC is also top heavy but from top to bottom they are the best as well. 

Hell the Eagles could very easily have 3 more wins if their WRs didn't drop game tying/winning TDs in the end zone late in the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

That's only because the NFC East exists lol. Minus the East, the NFC playoff teams edge out the AFC (I do think Seattle will be alright but wouldn't be upset if they aren't since there's a good chance we play them in the WC)

Take away the 4 seed in both conferences; I think 1-3 are better in the AFC still. Ravens/Pats/Chiefs > 49ers/Saints/Packers. The NFC has the edge at the wild card as the Vikings are the best one (or the Packers if they get passed), but Seattle now doesn't look any better than the Bills or Titans.

Overall I think the AFC is very slightly better. But, the idea from earlier in the season that one conference would have a much easier road doesn't seem to be real.

Edited by wackywabbit

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Take away the 4 seed in both conferences; I think 1-3 are better in the AFC still. Ravens/Pats/Chiefs > 49ers/Saints/Packers. The NFC has the edge at the wild card as the Vikings are the best one (or the Packers if they get passed), but Seattle now doesn't look any better than the Bills or Titans.

The Pats aren't the same team they were earlier in the season frankly. The 49ers and Packers also have harder opponents in their division to contend with. Buffalo isn't bad, but they're still inexperienced and carried by their defense. 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Here are my power rankings entering the playoffs: 

1. Saints

2. Ravens

I know rankings are personal but I'm not sure how you put any NFC team above Baltimore right now. They have the better record and it isn't like they've faced a bunch of scrub teams to earn it. They've looked reasonably unbeatable for a while now with no signs of slowing down nor any key injuries to mention. SF and NO are both banged up pretty good and SEA is a dumpster fire after yesterday. There's a decent case to be made that Minny is the class of the NFC but they have to earn that still. Let's see how they do tonight. (also Go Vikings... what's that thing you guys say? Skoal or somethingorother? Do that thing... petty please? :D

No, until NE/KC goes into Baltimore and beats them in OT, Baltimore is #1.They've earned it.

2 hours ago, nolaexpat said:

I know rankings are personal but I'm not sure how you put any NFC team above Baltimore right now. They have the better record and it isn't like they've faced a bunch of scrub teams to earn it. They've looked reasonably unbeatable for a while now with no signs of slowing down nor any key injuries to mention. SF and NO are both banged up pretty good and SEA is a dumpster fire after yesterday. There's a decent case to be made that Minny is the class of the NFC but they have to earn that still. Let's see how they do tonight. (also Go Vikings... what's that thing you guys say? Skoal or somethingorother? Do that thing... petty please? :D

No, until NE/KC goes into Baltimore and beats them in OT, Baltimore is #1.They've earned it.

Skol (written "skål" in Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish and "skál" in Faroese and Icelandic or "skaal" in transliteration of any of those languages) is the Danish-Norwegian-Swedish word for "cheers", or "good health", a salute or a toast, as to an admired person or group.

Skol Chant

When the Vikings moved into U.S. Bank Stadium in 2016, they started a new tradition at home games, called the "Skol Chant." At various points during the game, Viking fans raise their hands and clap to the beat of a drum before yelling, "Skol!" It was borrowed from the "Viking war chant" made famous by supporters of the Iceland national football team during their Cinderella run at Euro 2016. The Vikings joined up with Iceland’s Aron Gunnarsson and Iceland native Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson to introduce the chant.[4] In turn, Iceland's supporters borrowed it from Scotland's Motherwell F.C.[5]

The NFC started out the season as the better conference, but I agree with the OP and others when they say that the AFC has caught up though the course of the season.  Injuries have taken a toll on San Francisco and Seattle, and I think the Chiefs have really become a threat in the AFC.  They are my pick to go all the way to the Super Bowl at this point.  I'm not sure who to pick in the NFC, but am probably leaning toward San Francisco as of now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nolaexpat said:

I would have NO and Bal as 1a and 1b just because they are my favorites to come out of each conference, assuming (and this is important) that NO can grab the 1 or 2 seed in the NFC, so I'm really not going to differentiate them to that degree. I think Baltimore's biggest obstacle is Kansas City, but I'm not 100% that KC gets to a match up with Baltimore. NO's biggest obstacle in my opinion is seeding. 

The injuries for NO hurt...I Don't know that I trust the defense at this juncture, but that offense certainly appears to be operating at machine like levels. But they have to be one of those top two seeds. 

12 hours ago, Kirill said:

They got like 5 teams I could see getting into the superbowl. AFC there's like 1. Thats my guess.

I really don’t see the Seahawks with all the injuries or Vikings doing it. I think both have 3 teams I consider serious SB contenders. Ravens/Pats/Chiefs in the AFC and 49ers/Packers/Saints in the NFC. 

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

if the Rams defense just makes one 3rd and 16 stop, they could be (10-5) and in the playoffs. 

Get out with this false narrative. The game was tied at the time. Making either stop wouldn't have been a sure win for the Rams. Far from it. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

The NFC started out the season as the better conference, but I agree with the OP and others when they say that the AFC has caught up though the course of the season.  Injuries have taken a toll on San Francisco and Seattle, and I think the Chiefs have really become a threat in the AFC.  They are my pick to go all the way to the Super Bowl at this point.  I'm not sure who to pick in the NFC, but am probably leaning toward San Francisco as of now.

I think the Chiefs have the same problem New Orleans may have - no first round bye. It’s prohibitively difficult to go to the SB without being a top-2 seeded team. Especially when you have to go into New England in the playoffs and beat the Pats who are 20-3 in the at home since 2001. Baltimore is also no slouch either and they weren’t the same team as now when they lost at KC earlier in the season. The Chiefs are certainly capable with that offense and something that resembles a defense, but it will be an extreme uphill battle.