2020 TE Options...

G08

Nagy’s offense requires one in order to work better. In most cases, the tight end is the first or second read in progressions. The Bears couldn’t operate like that this season.

Kelce’s 94 catches rank sixth in the NFL. Zach Ertz has 88 for the Eagles, who run a similar scheme. He’s right behind Robinson, who has 89 receptions this season.

The production isn’t a fluke, either. Over the past four years, Kelce and Ertz are by far the most targeted tight ends in the NFL. There is no one close to them after Doug Pederson left the Chiefs for the Eagles in 2016.

Targets/Catches/Yards

Travis Kelce        520/365/4,704

Zach Ertz    507/356/3,719

Kyle Rudolph    341/242/2,366

Eric Ebron    333/211/2,410

Jimmy Graham    332/210/2,461

• Like 1

Those numbers are absurd and clearly demonstrate that this offense requires a top tier TE in order to properly function.

Question is... who the hell is that player? Kick the tires on a banged up Tyler Eifert? Overpay in FA for Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper?

Roll the dice on Eric Ebron (needs surgery on both ankles, apparently)?

Nick Vannett IMO is too slow for what we are looking for in this offense.

Slim pickings, guys. Not sure we can rely on a TE to come in via the draft and make an impact from the get-go. I'm thinking Amukamara is cut and his $9M (or thereabouts) goes to someone in FA. Looks like the top 6 TEs in the NFL average about $9.13M per season.

2 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

One thing Pace has consistently done since he’s been in Chicago is be ultra aggressive at addressing the glaring weakness of the team in the offseason. 

I would bet dollars to donuts that either Austin Hooper or Hunter Henry will be a Bear next season

This is my line of thinking as well. Pace's *** is on the line, Shaheen is pure garbage and so we will have to overpay to correct his whiff in the draft at addressing TE.

I hate that we're going to have something like $17M allocated to the freaking TE position next season. Good grief.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

Those numbers are absurd and clearly demonstrate that this offense requires a top tier TE in order to properly function.

Question is... who the hell is that player? Kick the tires on a banged up Tyler Eifert? Overpay in FA for Hunter Henry or Austin Hooper?

Roll the dice on Eric Ebron (needs surgery on both ankles, apparently)?

Nick Vannett IMO is too slow for what we are looking for in this offense.

Slim pickings, guys. Not sure we can rely on a TE to come in via the draft and make an impact from the get-go. I'm thinking Amukamara is cut and his $9M (or thereabouts) goes to someone in FA. Looks like the top 6 TEs in the NFL average about $9.13M per season.

Hunter Henry has been injury prone though. Amukamara should be cut.

3 hours ago, G08 said:

This is my line of thinking as well. Pace's *** is on the line, Shaheen is pure garbage and so we will have to overpay to correct his whiff in the draft at addressing TE.

I hate that we're going to have something like $17M allocated to the freaking TE position next season. Good grief.

Who drafted Shaheen and Kevin White? This is why the Bears offense is struggling. It is hard to overcome mistakes in the first two rounds of a draft.

21 hours ago, TB 1 said:

Who drafted Shaheen and Kevin White? This is why the Bears offense is struggling. It is hard to overcome mistakes in the first two rounds of a draft.

Bingo.. you must hit on those picks or you’re going no where. He did well in the second until Shaheen. Right now Floyd looks to be his best friend round pick.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Bryce Hopkins

Albert O, if you can get him firing on all cyclinders.

Those would be the 2 I think could do it.

More and more I think we have to overpay for Hunter Henry, draft a corner high to replace Amukamara, and then cut Burton in 2021 to make up the over commitment in $$$ to the TE position.

It's feasible and, to me, makes the most sense.

Out of all the FA TEs that will be available Henry is probably the most dynamic but he also comes with a huge injury red flag.

After seeing Burton barely play this year I doubt they will want to spend big on another injury prone player.

Hooper is alright but probably not worth a huge contract.

I expect to see a veteran stop gap added while they try to draft and develop a guy.

Hosted looks like he could be something worth keeping as depth as with Holtz.