Bears fire a bunch of coaches (Mostly offense)

GOGRIESE

I'm not going to lie but I think some of you guys are forgetting a bit of history here when it comes to Nagy and the negativity that is surrounding him...dude is 20-12 through his first 2 seasons...lets take a walk down history lane...

Wannstedt - 16-16 in his first two years..

Jauron - 11-21 in his first two years.

Smith - 16-16 in his first two years.

Trestman - 13-19 in his first two years.

Fox - 9-23 in his first two years.

Nagy has been far from perfect and needs to improve in a number of key areas but considering the dumpster fire he picked up the guys has at least shown he can get us playing winning football...I am happy to see him making these changes to the coaching staff and if he gets it right and we add help at TE and on the OL I feel he can still make it work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm not going to lie but I think some of you guys are forgetting a bit of history here when it comes to Nagy and the negativity that is surrounding him...dude is 20-12 through his first 2 seasons...lets take a walk down history lane...

Nagy has been far from perfect and needs to improve in a number of key areas but considering the dumpster fire he picked up the guys has at least shown he can get us playing winning football...I am happy to see him making these changes to the coaching staff and if he gets it right and we add help at TE and on the OL I feel he can still make it work.

I like Nagy as a "team leader" HC. Keeping this team completely together on such an incredibly disappointing season is honestly impressive. Trestman's team was an outright dumpster fire by December and I think it had lower expectations than this year's squad did. 

His abilities as a play caller, however, are inexcusable. You saw it when he was the OC for the Chiefs, and he's making the same mistakes here. Imo he's his own worst enemy, and he simply cannot be the play caller if we're going to have a real run. 

2 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I like Nagy as a "team leader" HC. Keeping this team completely together on such an incredibly disappointing season is honestly impressive. Trestman's team was an outright dumpster fire by December and I think it had lower expectations than this year's squad did. 

His abilities as a play caller, however, are inexcusable. You saw it when he was the OC for the Chiefs, and he's making the same mistakes here. Imo he's his own worst enemy, and he simply cannot be the play caller if we're going to have a real run. 

We don't know what he has planned for the OC role at this point...until we appoint a new OC we won't know who will be calling plays.

Good. Now what we need is for Nagy to relinquish play-calling duties and find a new OC.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Josh McDaniels were hired....

40 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

He's a good coach but I have serious doubts about his play-calling and game plans at times.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Nagy also inherited a top 10 defense from John Fox and then added Khalil Mack to it. The 12-4 season wasn't Nagy it was the defense. The indictment of Nagy is that the offense is worse now then it was in the last year of John Fox. His offense should have gotten better this year not worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

Nagy also inherited a top 10 defense from John Fox and then added Khalil Mack to it. The 12-4 season wasn't Nagy it was the defense. The indictment of Nagy is that the offense is worse now then it was in the last year of John Fox. His offense should have gotten better this year not worse.

Pretty easy argument to make...however who has had success with a Bears offence? This is going to take time and very few teams have ever been successful by changing HC time and time again...see the Browns...bottom line is you can not argue that he is the man at the top so should take the blame when it goes wrong without saying he is the man at the top and should take the plaudits when it goes well...when Nagy was hired had you told me after season two he would have an overall record of 20-12 I would have snapped your hand off...can't think of many who wouldn't have.

• Like 2

Just now, dll2000 said:

Does it really matter who Bears OC is? 

OC is Nagy.  QB coach is Nagy.  Everyone else sits in on those meetings and nods.  

People with actual roles are non QB position coaches.  

As Nagy let’s other people worry about that.  

As such Nagy and Pace should get blame for bad offense. 

Then Oline coach. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Does it really matter who Bears OC is? 

OC is Nagy.  QB coach is Nagy.  Everyone else sits in on those meetings and nods.  

People with actual roles are non QB position coaches.  

As Nagy let’s other people worry about that.  

I do think some of the game planning and in-game stuff could fall on the OC.

I've said this before but I'd like to see Nagy surround himself with his own guys who know the system he's trying to run and can help him run it effectively. Coaches who don't know your system can't help set things straight when you get caught up in some weird ideas.

11 hours ago, Steel Worker said:

Mike,when are you going to do your Mock and off season for 2020?

I will probably give it a few days to see what names are being kicked around in terms of coaches to try and customise it to them...with Pace saying Trubisky will be the QB it will be TE & OL that will be key this offseason...must give him as much help as possible. 

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Pretty easy argument to make...however who has had success with a Bears offence? This is going to take time and very few teams have ever been successful by changing HC time and time again...see the Browns...bottom line is you can not argue that he is the man at the top so should take the blame when it goes wrong without saying he is the man at the top and should take the plaudits when it goes well...when Nagy was hired had you told me after season two he would have an overall record of 20-12 I would have snapped your hand off...can't think of many who wouldn't have.

I never said that the Bears should fire Nagy but that his offense should have gotten better in his two years with the BEars with him being an offensive coach.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I will probably give it a few days to see what names are being kicked around in terms of coaches to try and customise it to them...with Pace saying Trubisky will be the QB it will be TE & OL that will be key this offseason...must give him as much help as possible. 

If Trubisky is the QB then it is up to Nagy to change or tweak his system to fit Trubisky. You can't hide the QB in that system and the big reason his offense was bad in 2019 is because Trubisky was bad in 2019. Trubisky had a below average QB rating in 10 of 15 games this season. Trubisky is best suited in a Shannahan type system where you run the ball and bootleg the QB and have play action. In my 2020 plans the Bears improve the OL. The Bears need to win quickly as the defense will be a year older especially Hicks and needs help at CB,SS, edge rusher and DL.