2020 Free Agency

Lionized

Schobert is barely if at all an upgrade from Davis. Davis looked a lot better down the stretch with a healthy ankle. Davis was never meant to be a Mike or the dude with the radio in the helmet. Let him just be off ball and attack, blitz him a lot more and let Tavai do his thing in the middle. Our top 4 LBs are under contract next year. I think we decline Davis' option for 2021 for sure, but we roll with the status quo plus a mid round pick or cheap add at LB(probably  more of an edge type like Jamie Collins)

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 6:35 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I mean, the guy has 37.5 career sacks. For a team devoid of pressure and that relies on versatility, I'd be shocked if he couldn't be deployed in a way that would at least help generate more than what we've been starting at LE.

He's Kennard as a sack guy every year but one outlier and he is a terrible fit in the system. You can't be completely unable to take on an OT in the run game in this sytem and play edge. 

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You don't think he could be moved around to generate pressure from different positions?

In this D I don't see a role for him no, and I don't think he is a very good player. If he wants to sign here for the vet minimum I'll find a creative role for him, but there needs to be a strong focus on finding guys who fit roles in the system this offseason IMO.  Pass rush is important, but this is a key example of how people have over focused on sacks and even pass rush as a root cause for our demise. 

12 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Schobert is barely if at all an upgrade from Davis. Davis looked a lot better down the stretch with a healthy ankle. Davis was never meant to be a Mike or the dude with the radio in the helmet. Let him just be off ball and attack, blitz him a lot more and let Tavai do his thing in the middle. Our top 4 LBs are under contract next year. I think we decline Davis' option for 2021 for sure, but we roll with the status quo plus a mid round pick or cheap add at LB(probably  more of an edge type like Jamie Collins)

What?!  Schobert is excellent in coverage for a LB and he’s sort of a do it all LB. they only thing that they have in common is they both miss some tackles but at least Schobert gives you something. Other than an occasional delayed blitz, Davis gives you nothing.  He just can’t process and it’s one of the reasons he’s always flat footed in coverage. At the end of the day Schobert will probably get a $10-13 million a year contract this offseason and Davis will have his 5th year option declined. Schobert would be a huge upgrade. 

I'm looking at Offensive line and Secondary in free agency. I think this draft is deep with DL, depth LB, and depth offensive skill positions.

I'd pay Glasgow, sign the best LT possible, move Decker to RT, cut Wagner and draft a G to compete with Benzschawel and Aboushi for the other starting G position.

If we draft Okudah, great. But I'd still try to build up our secondary. Slay has been a solo beast for years. We saw what adequate corners looked like with Coleman and Melvin. I'm hoping we see big growth from Oruwariye in year two. Tavon Wilsons future is up in the air. Will Harris looks good but raw. Agnew is strictly a returner, IMO. Wouldn't mind more uses for him offensively. I'm not as high on Walker as others are.

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm looking at Offensive line and Secondary in free agency. I think this draft is deep with DL, depth LB, and depth offensive skill positions.

I'd pay Glasgow, sign the best LT possible, move Decker to RT, cut Wagner and draft a G to compete with Benzschawel and Aboushi for the other starting G position.

If we draft Okudah, great. But I'd still try to build up our secondary. Slay has been a solo beast for years. We saw what adequate corners looked like with Coleman and Melvin. I'm hoping we see big growth from Oruwariye in year two. Tavon Wilsons future is up in the air. Will Harris looks good but raw. Agnew is strictly a returner, IMO. Wouldn't mind more uses for him offensively. I'm not as high on Walker as others are.

I read an article that listed different FA DB's that have a prior relationship with our new DC. The one that I am most intrigued by is James Bradberry. He's a relatively young guy at 26 but has been in the league for a couple years. PFF has him rated as an average CB but he's been in the top 15 pretty consistently in a couple of key areas. He did have a poor year last year but the Panthers were a bit of a mess top to bottom. 

Chris Harris Jr is an intriguing option and likely target but he's a short term fix and is going to be costly. I don't know if it makes sense to pay an old guy top money to replace another older guy who wants top money already on the team. 

19 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I was really impressed with Walker.

I think he showed tons of ability. He did perhaps miss some assignments but that's totally fixable. On some of the plays he allowed he also had outstanding coverage and just got beat by some great throws. 

I'm very high on him but continued growth isn't guaranteed. 

12 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I read an article that listed different FA DB's that have a prior relationship with our new DC. The one that I am most intrigued by is James Bradberry. He's a relatively young guy at 26 but has been in the league for a couple years. PFF has him rated as an average CB but he's been in the top 15 pretty consistently in a couple of key areas. He did have a poor year last year but the Panthers were a bit of a mess top to bottom. 

Chris Harris Jr is an intriguing option and likely target but he's a short term fix and is going to be costly. I don't know if it makes sense to pay an old guy top money to replace another older guy who wants top money already on the team. 

I think Bradbury is primarily a zone CB and Harris is suited for the nickel and with Coleman its sort of redundant.  I just don’t know if it would be money well spent. 

9 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I think Bradbury is primarily a zone CB and Harris is suited for the nickel and with Coleman its sort of redundant.  I just don’t know if it would be money well spent. 

You could be right. I don't know about Bradbury as a scheme fit. I was principally looking at size, age and cost out of the guys with that connection. The Lions had been kicking the tires on Harris so they must have interest in him. I just don't want them to overpay to get a guy that is closer to the end of his career than the end while also dealing with Slay. If you don't want to pay a CB big money that is going to be 30 soon and likely drop off, cool. You could be wrong or you could be right but at least there's a stance. Not wanting to pay Slay but bringing in a vet guy and pay him like $10M - $12M seems like mixed messaging to the locker room and fans. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2020 at 6:47 AM, Karnage84 said:

You could be right. I don't know about Bradbury as a scheme fit. I was principally looking at size, age and cost out of the guys with that connection. The Lions had been kicking the tires on Harris so they must have interest in him. I just don't want them to overpay to get a guy that is closer to the end of his career than the end while also dealing with Slay. If you don't want to pay a CB big money that is going to be 30 soon and likely drop off, cool. You could be wrong or you could be right but at least there's a stance. Not wanting to pay Slay but bringing in a vet guy and pay him like $10M - $12M seems like mixed messaging to the locker room and fans. 

Totally agree.