2020 Free Agency

Lionized

15 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I agree for most people.  I, for one, would probably pick Detroit over New York, but this is because I'm a country person and New York is way to crowded for my taste. In New York it's a long ways to the suburbs. I think big city vs big city, I'd be looking more at climate and tax relief if all things were equal.

So true. My sister used to work in NYC and I hated how crowded it was. Definitely not my scene.

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I agree for most people.  I, for one, would probably pick Detroit over New York, but this is because I'm a country person and New York is way to crowded for my taste. In New York it's a long ways to the suburbs. I think big city vs big city, I'd be looking more at climate and tax relief if all things were equal.

I'm way more of a country person and my city is more like a big town of 1M. However, I definitely have enjoyed visiting NYC and it's probably the only big city that I would enjoy. It's definitely a different deal when you bring kids and pets into the mix. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm way more of a country person and my city is more like a big town of 1M. However, I definitely have enjoyed visiting NYC and it's probably the only big city that I would enjoy. It's definitely a different deal when you bring kids and pets into the mix. 

Couldn't imagine living in a town of 1M.  I currently live in a town of 30,000 and am struggling with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

Couldn't imagine living in a town of 1M.  I currently live in a town of 30,000 and am struggling with it.

I mean.. it's the capital city of Canada. I live on the outskirts in the suburbs in a small town of maybe 10,000 but near 30,000 - 50,000 communities. So I get the benefit without being immersed in it. Works out pretty nicely. Downside is the 35 minute commute but right now I have a 35 second commute lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

This isn't meant to be disparaging but really, if you have to live in two cities: Detroit or New York, assuming money/role/confidence in the organization is the same, I'm choosing New York. 

Not disparaging at all. It’s reality for a lot of people. Especially young people with money.

• Like 1

i was listening to the pick 6 podcast(from cbs sports) and believe Jonathan Jones(may have been Jason La Canfora from the other day) said the redskins would be happy to take a 3rd this year and something next year for Trent Williams because no-one is willing to pay the skins the price they want for him. would you a 3rd this year & 5th next year for him?  give him a short term extension. 

12 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Not disparaging at all. It’s reality for a lot of people. Especially young people with money.

I was in NYC to see a Guardians game. It's a really nice stadium, the fans were super excited, even though there was about 15,000 people in a stadium that holds maybe 60,000? I love stand up comedy and got to see 5-6 comedians in one night that are all known internationally to some scale. If you have money and you're young, it's a pretty cool place to be IMO. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

i was listening to the pick 6 podcast(from cbs sports) and believe Jonathan Jones(may have been Jason La Canfora from the other day) said the redskins would be happy to take a 3rd this year and something next year for Trent Williams because no-one is willing to pay the skins the price they want for him. would you a 3rd this year & 5th next year for him?  give him a short term extension. 

I wouldnt.  thats the same as trading Slay for him which i wouldnt have done either. 

8 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I still think Mayhew not getting Suh under contract was his biggest blunder.

Absolutely. When we went to the playoffs with Schwartz, we had the 2nd best defense in the league that year. I really wish we were able to build on that, instead of watching it fall apart.

If Schwartz weren't fired, I'm convinced that Suh would still be a Lion to this day. (Not saying that keeping Schwartz would've been the best thing for this franchise, but that he wouldn't have let Suh leave.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Absolutely. When we went to the playoffs with Schwartz, we had the 2nd best defense in the league that year. I really wish we were able to build on that, instead of watching it fall apart.

If Schwartz weren't fired, I'm convinced that Suh would still be a Lion to this day. (Not saying that keeping Schwartz would've been the best thing for this franchise, but that he wouldn't have let Suh leave.)

I'm in the opinion Schwartz was the closest thing this franchise has seen to possibly winning regularly.  If he had a decent GM, which Mayhew was not imo, who could hit on 2nd round talent and the occasional 3rd rounder, then Schwartz would have got the job done. I'd give anything to see him back here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I still think Mayhew not getting Suh under contract was his biggest blunder.

I don't know if I would fully agree with that. I really think the blunder was not planning for the possibility of losing him AND Fairley (who wasn't going to be a direct replacement for Suh at the time anyway) at the same time. Knowing that Suh was going to be costly and/or that we could lose Fairley even if we re-signed Suh, Donald should have been the pick OR a trade down, instead of picking Ebron. 

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I'm in the opinion Schwartz was the closest thing this franchise has seen to possibly winning regularly.  If he had a decent GM, which Mayhew was not imo, who could hit on 2nd round talent and the occasional 3rd rounder, then Schwartz would have got the job done. I'd give anything to see him back here.

Yeah, I was a big fan of his. I liked his mentality... his toughness. I thought he did a great job turning this franchise from 0-16 into a playoff team, and made the Lions a difficult team to play against.

I just hate the constant turnover at the coaching position. I don't think anything damages a franchise more than firing your coach every 3-4 years.

• Like 1