2020 Free Agency

Lionized

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I don't know if I would fully agree with that. I really think the blunder was not planning for the possibility of losing him AND Fairley (who wasn't going to be a direct replacement for Suh at the time anyway) at the same time. Knowing that Suh was going to be costly and/or that we could lose Fairley even if we re-signed Suh, Donald should have been the pick OR a trade down, instead of picking Ebron. 

Blunder 1a, Blunder 1b or Blunder 1c.  Order them how you want. I, as many others, were screaming for Donald.  3 huge mistakes in one year surrounding the DT position.  I would still say losing a known asset is bigger than losing a possible one, but to each their own.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Blunder 1a, Blunder 1b or Blunder 1c.  Order them how you want. I, as many others, were screaming for Donald.  3 huge mistakes in one year surrounding the DT position.  I would still say losing a known asset is bigger than losing a possible one, but to each their own.

The reasoning for wanting  Donald for me had nothing to do with the forthcoming roster predicament at DT, he was clearly the superior talent

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

It's just a matter of: spending $100M. The Dolphins released [Suh] after only 3 seasons, despite signing him to a 6 year deal. We had so much money tied up in Calvin and Matthew at the time and I'm not sure Suh even did want to come back. 

We missed on Fairley. Even if we could re-sign Suh, we were still going to lose Fairley if not both. All of this is despite Donald being a superior player to Ebron. When you're building the roster and preparing for the draft, future needs are nearly as important as current needs, especially at a key position. An Ebron-esque TE was intended to help enhance Calvin and Stafford on offense while the Defensive Line was the lynchpin of the entire defense. We bought the sprinkles for our ice cream sundae but then let the ice cream melt. 

6 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

The reasoning for wanting  Donald for me had nothing to do with the forthcoming roster predicament at DT, he was clearly the superior talent

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

When someone claims that they wanted *insert elite player in a draft 5+ years ago*, I'm always curious if that's actually the case. 

I was able to track down a mock you made in early April of 2014. In this mock, you have the Lions taking... Aaron Donald.

10. Detroit Lions - Aaron Donald

Is the BPA on my board if the draft fell this way. I have my concerns with Donald's size and his ability to hold up against Warford caliber guards but this kid is a stud. Everyone is enamored with copying the Seahawks this year and most notable there tall corners. That's not really what I take away from the Seattle way. What I notice first and formost is how the hawks just continue to acquire fast physical football plays who are great and one or two things. Guys who you know what you will get from. Contrary to popular belief there really was no Bruce Irving role on Seattle until they had Bruce Irving. They brought in Bennent and didn't try to fit him in there system they let him do what he did well and incorporated that into there system.

Donald is a unbelievable pass rusher and great athlete. If we really are going to more of a hybrid look then having 3 starting dt types is really more of the norm anyway but when you add in the uncertainty going toward with Suh and Fairly if Donald is BPA this is a no brainer.

When pressed, you followed it up with this:

I didn't take Donald because he's a dt or because we need a dt I took him because he was the highest rated player on my board and has a skill set that is extremely useful regardless of scheme or depth.

Granted, you had Ebron going #9, and, in the Ebron draft thread, you didn't criticize the pick, but you still had us grabbing Donald with our pick, and for that exact reasoning. (You also had us drafting Telvin Smith in the 3rd round.)

Good job. Credit to you.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

When someone claims that they wanted *insert elite player in a draft 5+ years ago*, I'm always curious if that's actually the case. 

I was able to track down a mock you made in early April of 2014. In this mock, you have the Lions taking... Aaron Donald.

When pressed, you followed it up with this:

Granted, you had Ebron going #9, and, in the Ebron draft thread, you didn't criticize the pick, but you still had us grabbing Donald with our pick, and for that exact reasoning. (You also had us drafting Telvin Smith in the 3rd round.

Good job. Credit to you.

Since you're rolling around back there, I would be interested to see who I had an interest in at the time. 

I can promise you that I wasn't on the Donald bandwagon (my bad) on the basis of his size being a potential issue. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

Since you're rolling around back there, I would be interested to see who I had an interest in at the time. 

I can promise you that I wasn't on the Donald bandwagon (my bad) on the basis of his size being a potential issue. 

Honestly, there's very little mention of Donald as the 'top guy'... he's usually grouped into that "want" tier, but rarely at the top. Many have HaHa Clinton-Dix as their want at #10.

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Honestly, there's very little mention of Donald as the 'top guy'... he's usually grouped into that "want" tier, but rarely at the top. Many have HaHa Clinton-Dix as their want at #10.

I doubt I posted, I was between Donald and OBJ, but I normally go DT. I was nervous about his height, but I felt his motor was what would make him. I don't think I thought he was a sure thing though.

• Like 1

Now that I'm looking at that draft again, memory has kicked in.

I was high on: Gilbert, Dennard and Roby. Definitely wanted the Lions to look to add a CB. I remember liking KVN but never expected him to be available to us in rd 2. I was displeased that we didn't take Davante Adams. I really liked him coming into the draft. Was also high on Jordan Matthews and Stanley Jean-Baptiste. If I had been doing my worksheet like I have way back then, I would have seen the sheer dominance of Donald and likely been on the bandwagon as well. His numbers pop right off the page. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I doubt I posted, I was between Donald and OBJ, but I normally go DT. I was nervous about his height, but I felt his motor was what would make him. I don't think I thought he was a sure thing though.

I had injury concerns on OBJ. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm coming across some Donald chatter from LionArkie.

Found a "Final Big Board" thread. Sadly, neither of you posted.

bigc:

1. Clowney
2. Robinson
3. Mack
4. Watkins
5. Evans
6. Donald
7. Mathews
8. Barr
9. Lewan
10. HaHa

Sllim:

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Kahlil Mack
4. Jake Matthews
5. Mike Evans
6. Aaron Donald
7. Greg Robinson
8. Shazier
9. Haha Clinton Dix
10. Odell Beckham Jr.

Ah the good old days.  Oh my I was really high on Robinson, like best LT in several years high. I loved Mack but was really just that high on Robinson. What a turd.  I remember most of the hot take chatter that year was on trading up for Watkins or even Evans.

Maybe it was someone else TL but if memory serves me you were driving the Gilbert train.  I recall I pretty extensive post with graphs and the like making the case for him.  Good post player just didn’t turn out, we all miss. 

Why were on memory lane my fav all time draft debates here was in 2011.  Such a great Dline class and everyone seemed to have different favorites.  I think I was higher on JJ Watt than anyone outside of Houston. I don’t recall anyone having him go top 10. Almost all of those guys turned out to be studs too.  Except that one guy who was supposed to go like 2nd overall a month out from the draft and then  slipped  to some team in the teens?

edit- thinking more about it may have been freak that had the extensive Gilbert post, not sure

Edited by BigC421/

6 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Ah the good old days.  Oh my I was really high on Robinson, like best LT in several years high. I loved Mack but was really just that high on Robinson. What a turd.  I remember most of the hot take chatter that year was on trading up for Watkins or even Evans.

Maybe it was someone else TL but if memory serves me you were driving the Gilbert train.  I recall I pretty extensive post with graphs and the like making the case for him.  Good post player just didn’t turn out, we all miss. 

Why were on memory lane my fav all time draft debates here was in 2011.  Such a great Dline class and everyone seemed to have different favorites.  I think I was higher on JJ Watt than anyone outside of Houston. I don’t recall anyone having him go top 10. Almost all of those guys turned out to be studs too.  Except that one guy who was supposed to go like 2nd overall a month out from the draft and then  slipped  to some team in the teens?

edit- thinking more about it may have been freak that had the extensive Gilbert post, not sure

When you look at Gilbert's measurables, he should have been elite. A quick Google search tells you everything that went wrong.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2017/02/joe_thomas_on_justin_gilbert_g.html

Browns left tackle Joe Thomas, who's become increasingly vocal in recent years, summed it best when he tweeted, "If you don't like football, it doesn't matter how talented you are, your star will burn out quick.''

"When you're a first-round pick, you've got to c'mon, man,'' Dansby said in 2014. "They've got to reset their goals and they've got to do it fast. There's so much (Gilbert) could've done better and he didn't put forth the effort. So yeah, it's a wasted year.

Gilbert admitted at the end of 2015 that he was late to numerous team meetings as a rookie because he was "a hard sleeper.''