Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

So I'm going to guess that Kwon plays his normal weakside linebacker role, with Dre sliding back over to the strong side in base packages, and then pulling Kwon on nickel packages a lot of the time and letting Dre stay on the field, just to keep the snap count a bit mitigated for Kwon? 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually have a live look in at our killer instincts in action for some of these games: 

source.gif

I really think it is because Shanny tries to get a little too creative or just tries to do too much. No need for for that. Trust Jimmy to drop back and get a first down, especially on 3rd down where he is usually money. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Forge said:

So I'm going to guess that Kwon plays his normal weakside linebacker role, with Dre sliding back over to the strong side in base packages, and then pulling Kwon on nickel packages a lot of the time and letting Dre stay on the field, just to keep the snap count a bit mitigated for Kwon? 

See, I think Kwon gets a lot of the nickel package looks. His limits in the base will be limited if I had to guess. 

This will be a big game for Tartt. His tackling when he's at the box and how he plays the deep ball could determine just how well our defense plays. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See, I think Kwon gets a lot of the nickel package looks. His limits in the base will be limited if I had to guess. 

This will be a big game for Tartt. His tackling when he's at the box and how he plays the deep ball could determine just how well our defense plays. 

So you think we will play Al shaair a lot? Because we are going to be in base a lot. Minnesota is the only team in the league that runs fewer three receiver sets than we do, so we should have three linebackers on the field a lot as part of the base

1 minute ago, Forge said:

So you think we will play Al shaair a lot? Because we are going to be in base a lot. Minnesota is the only team in the league that runs fewer three receiver sets than we do, so we should have three linebackers on the field a lot as part of the base

I think it makes more sense to play Kwon majority of the nickel snaps where he's best at. I don't know how much they plan to limit him, but I do see Al-Shaair getting some PT. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think it makes more sense to play Kwon majority of the nickel snaps where he's best at. I don't know how much they plan to limit him, but I do see Al-Shaair getting some PT. 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that. He would get plenty of run in coverage out of the base formation given how often they throw with just two receivers. I'm not about that Al-Shaair getting real playing time life. If he sees double digit snaps on defense, I'll be a little concerned. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I’m thinking a long the same lines. I think it would be foolish to let Kwon go out there play 70% or more of the snaps. I think they will ease him in a bit to prevent serious injury. 

Also, the Vikings run the ball a ton and we know Kwon isn’t the best tackler, he’s probably even worse now with the injury. Greenlaw is a great tackler and very good in coverage. I think Greenlaw ends up playing more than Kwon because of the amount of run plays they will he facing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that. He would get plenty of run in coverage out of the base formation given how often they throw with just two receivers. I'm not about that Al-Shaair getting real playing time life. If he sees double digit snaps on defense, I'll be a little concerned. 

Of course he would get plenty of run coverage in the base, but you also play him where he's the most useful. He can't play all the snaps in the base defense and I bet they try to play him around 55-60% of the snaps, at least early on. And then if the game is tight late in the game, they probably go with him the rest of the way if he's feeling fine. 

I'll predict 27-17, niners.

I know a lot has changed since we played them two years ago but boy we left a lot of points on that board in that game. Morris fumbled at the one and Jimmy threw a pass a bit too high to a wide open Kittle. If you discount the pick six Jimmy threw, the Vikings only put up 17 on us and our dline at times got to Kirk(now we have Bosa, an all pro AA and possibly Ford) Now of course as our team has gotten better, they have too with a much healthier Cook now. 

At the start of the year, I just wanted a playoff berth; a wild card appearance but now with saints out, the road got a little bit easier. Honestly it FEEL like we are destined to play Seattle for a 3rd time. 

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course he would get plenty of run coverage in the base, but you also play him where he's the most useful. He can't play all the snaps in the base defense and I bet they try to play him around 55-60% of the snaps, at least early on. And then if the game is tight late in the game, they probably go with him the rest of the way if he's feeling fine. 

He should play a big role defending TEs in this game and for the rest of the year.

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'll predict 27-17, niners.

I know a lot has changed since we played them two years ago but boy we left a lot of points on that board in that game. Morris fumbled at the one and Jimmy threw a pass a bit too high to a wide open Kittle. If you discount the pick six Jimmy threw, the Vikings only put up 17 on us and our dline at times got to Kirk(now we have Bosa, an all pro AA and possibly Ford) Now of course as our team has gotten better, they have too with a much healthier Cook now. 

At the start of the year, I just wanted a playoff berth; a wild card appearance but now with saints out, the road got a little bit easier. Honestly it FEEL like we are destined to play Seattle for a 3rd time. 

That's my worry but I think if we play them again we'll pull out a win. We're due for a shot this time. This is a SB caliber team, I believe that. If we get our defensive guys back we should be a force.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I agree with this. I have trouble using Week 1 of 2018 to try and glean any idea on how things might go this game because both teams have improved significantly in that time, and both teams are going to be able to watch a lot of film on the current teams to create much better gameplans than a week one game. Plus, the dynamics have changed by playing at home this time as well. 

We have to be able to win this game. I see no reason that we shouldn't be able to do so with everyone who will be coming back. But...any given Sunday. They did just go into New Orleans and end the Saints season. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Irv Smith is basically a WR.