BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

So Lamar throwing 36 TDs last year didn’t happen? None of his production was garbage time.

I never said that.  

I think that Kyler is about as good a passer as Lamar at this point as has a higher ceiling in terms of reading a defense and natural accuracy.  I'm looking as much to the future as right now considering the age of both guys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I never said that.  

I think that Kyler is about as good a passer as Lamar at this point as has a higher ceiling in terms of reading a defense and natural accuracy.  I'm looking as much to the future as right now considering the age of both guys.

Kyler is 23 (August 1997)

Lamar is 23 (January 1997)

Granted, I'm not saying you're wrong as far as the "ceiling" goes given Murray's passing thus far in terms of game progression/production, but the age standpoint is almost identical.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Kyler is 23 (August 1997)

Lamar is 23 (January 1997)

Granted, I'm not saying you're wrong as far as the "ceiling" goes given Murray's passing thus far in terms of game progression/production, but the age standpoint is almost identical.

I know.  So future growth is something I would take into account for both.

Whereas if I was comparing Kyler to Big Ben, it'd be a little different discussion cause Ben is almost 40.

5 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I don't think he's proven himself elite yet but I definitely think he's a good QB at the very least

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think it's safe to say that he's "good". I don't think it's safe to say that he's great/elite/an MVP contender.

Passing

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       38 37 22-15-0 689 1145 60.2 8034 51 4.5 28 2.4 372 75 7.0 6.8 11.7 211.4 86.1   86 566 6.07 5.87 7.0 8 11 17
2018 22 BUF QB 17 12 11 5-6-0 169 320 52.8 2074 10 3.1 12 3.8 89 75 6.5 5.4 12.3 172.8 67.9 49.8 28 213 5.35 4.37 8.0 2 3 6
2019 23 BUF QB 17 16 16 10-6-0 271 461 58.8 3089 20 4.3 9 2.0 146 53 6.7 6.7 11.4 193.1 85.3 47.9 38 237 5.72 5.71 7.6 4 5 11
2020 24 BUF QB 17 10 10 7-3-0 249 364 68.4 2871 21 5.8 7 1.9 137 49 7.9 8.2 11.5 287.1 103.2 78.4 20 116 7.17 7.45 5.2 2 3  

Looking just at the numbers, we can see marked progression with his completion percentage, TD to INT ratio, Rating/efficiency, and getting rid of the ball/taking less sacks. He's also drastically cut down on his fumbles.

There's enough there to say that he's "Good".

I ask because Allen is 4-3 since the start of October with 11 TDs, 6 interceptions, and 7.2 YPA. It's been a pretty sizable drop-off from his hot start.

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

4 playoff appearances. 0 300 yard passing games. His signature playoff win is against the Saints in the controversial game. Goff also led the Rams that year to the second d performance in SB history with a team not scoring a TD. His first two years with Gurley was exciting but Goff is the textbook definition of the average QB in today’s NFL.

He literally had a 300 yard passing game in Week 1 of his second NFL season. Unless you're talking purely about playoff games, which is silly because A) at least Goff has made it to the playoffs, unlike Murray, and B) he's only had four games to even try.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I know.  So future growth is something I would take into account for both.

Whereas if I was comparing Kyler to Big Ben, it'd be a little different discussion cause Ben is almost 40.

Got it. I thought you meant that Kyler had the edge since he was younger...so I was not quite understanding that. :)

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I ask because Allen is 4-3 since the start of October with 11 TDs, 6 interceptions, and 7.2 YPA. It's been a pretty sizable drop-off from his hot start.

He started off playing red hot football, and he did that against some good teams (Dolphins, Rams), and then he's played a pretty tough schedule since then with the Raiders, Titans, Cardinals, Patriots Defense, Chiefs, and Seahawks. Granted, that lousy performance vs. the Jets looks bad, but I look at it more like "leveling off/coming back to earth" vs. a telling dropoff. Throw in the late fall in Buffalo/the lake Erie effect there with the wind and elements, and I think it's certainly likely his stats level off some going down the stretch.

Let's see where he ends up, but I think that he's definitely "good".

JMHO

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I never said that.  

racist wonder showzen GIF

wait they're both black, it's fine

Greg Roman was a "visionary offensive mind" that finally "molded an offense to fit his QB" with both Kaep and LJ, and now that both have come back down to earth, he's somehow overly simplistic, predictable, and behind the times.

Not

For

Long

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Greg Roman was a "visionary offensive mind" that finally "molded an offense to fit his QB" with both Kaep and LJ, and now that both have come back down to earth, he's somehow overly simplistic, predictable, and behind the times.

Not

For

Long

This is why I'm not as sour on Lamar's struggles this season. Just a few weeks ago Lamar did an interview where he was saying how opposing defenses were consistently calling out their plays before they happened. Greg Roman always gets figured out and it's happened again. You can't win if the defense knows what you're doing.

Bottom line is both Murray and Jackson are elite RBs who are playing QB.  If they can even be average level accuracy/reading a defense, they are top 10 QBs in the league due to the dual threat.  If they are good level accurate/read, they are MVP level QBs based on production alone.