BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

He’s not a RFA as he signed a long term deal that’s why Spotrac states that he would be a RFA in 2020 because they scratched his 2019 as part of the extension. He was on a standard rookie contract from the moment he signed his rookie deal after being drafted in the second round by the cowboys.

I don't think that's the case. Nfl.com also shows him as a 3rd year player. Again this is all new to me but I think Smith is indeed a RFA. 

We should compare his spotrac contract with another player who got extended after his rookie year. Wentz maybe? 

1 minute ago, TedLavie said:

I don't think that's the case. Nfl.com also shows him as a 3rd year player. Again this is all new to me but I think Smith is indeed a RFA. 

We should compare his spotrac contract with another player who got extended after his rookie year. Wentz maybe? 

You’re probably right. I don’t get how that contract was worked out like that

Just now, TedLavie said:

By our leagues sake, he's got 3 years experience so he qualifies as a RFA.

But in the same breathe, he's got a new contract with multiple years left on it so does that mess up his RFA eligibility.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

But in the same breathe, he's got a new contract with multiple years left on it so does that mess up his RFA eligibility.

That’s the thing. RFA can be nearly any offer cus there is no new contract to base it off of. But in this case there is and UFA would have to be 50%. Weird gray area.

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

That’s the thing. RFA can be nearly any offer cus there is no new contract to base it off of. But in this case there is and UFA would half to be 50%. Weird gray area.

Maybe we should let the RFA fly this offseason and in the owners meeting address the Gray Area if its deemed necessary?

6 minutes ago, Jlash said:

No.  Basically you can choose to RFA him, or because it's no longer his rookie deal, you can three up him.  Risk reward 

Edit: commas for clarity 

Edited by bcb1213
  • Like 3