BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

So the main thing is just the way they're splitting up the students. Instead of students having all of their normal teachers doing each of their classes, they're making each teacher responsible for teaching all of their first period student's classes. So instead of me having my normal content workload, I'm now essentially in charge of all content at multiple levels. So instead of just US History, World History, and Sociology, I'm teaching those and English at multiple levels, math at multiple levels, and science at multiple levels. And the process of creating all of those classes in Apex, the program we're using, is bad too. We're not allowed to create our own classes using the predetermined materials, we have to copy the county course that they made and then add our students to those classes individually. So I have to copy-create an Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Biology, Chemistry, etc. all individually. And then a ton of students aren't even registered on Apex so I can't add them in the first place. It's just a whole **** show like I said. And my principal and vice principals know nothing, it's all county level screw ups.

For elementary all the first grade teachers were teamed up and so on and they decided what is the essential things kids need to know before next school year. They devised two packets with two weeks of work in each. 

We counselors had to devise what social emotional curriculum would be beneficial for them for the rest of the school yesr. So we did and put it into packet form for them.  

Why you guys have to teach something out of your wheel house is unknown to me. History teachers together math together and so on. Yours is definitely a cluster.

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I meant when this isn’t going on. Are you split between two schools or do you have one site.

I'm one school. Counselors are homebound. No one is allowed to enter the building or have face to face work with students. I've spent the last couple days touching base with my students on my case load and setting up preferences with parents on whether they deem video conference; prerecorded videos or pdf documents sent home to work on social skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pheltzbahr said:

JLash was with me for year 1 and bcb was with me for year 2 maybe?  My worst was with chigger, but that draft everyone I wanted seemed to go 1 or 2 slots before we picked.

I think the best part of watching you draft is the people who worked with you also become great drafters for their own teams.

10 minutes ago, MD4L said:

For example I thought there was zero chance Kaleb McGary or Rashad Penny would be first round picks. Both were picked up by Gotham.

To be fair, Penny was only a first round pick because the Seahawks are terrible early-round drafters

• Like 2

2014 Draft Recap:

Bhopal Big Cats:
1.1. - Jadaveon Clowney, EDGE, South Carolina
1.2 - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
4.6 - Telvin Smith, LB, Florida State
6.1 - Justin Ellis, INT, Louisiana Tech
6.15 - Taylor Hart, INT, Oregon
6.18 - Josh Huff, WR, Oregon
6.19 - Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
6.20 - Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
7.7 - Crockett Gilmore, TE, Colorado State

This is a decent draft by Bhopal. Clowney and Bridgewater have not necessarily lived up to picks 1 and 2 but are still good players in their own rights. Smith was a great pick in round 4. Justin Ellis is still kicking it in the big leagues as a depth guy but the rest of his picks are not currently on a roster. 

Chicago Wendigos:
1.3 - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
3.3 -Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
3.8 - Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
4.13 - James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
7.18 - Joe Don Duncan, TE, Dixie State

Chicago certainly had a strategy going here - receiving help and OT protection. They did ok at one failed miserably at the other. Watkins never lived up to his third overall spot but is still a contributor while Davante Adams has turned into the WR Chicago was probably hoping to get a the top of the draft. Nobody else amounted to anything.

Rome Eternals:
1.4 - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
2.2 - C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
2.13- Dee Ford, EDGE, Auburn
3.11 - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
4.2 - Scott Crichton, EDGE, Oregon State
4.19 - Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
5.9 - Dion Bailey, S, USC
5.11 - Jack Mewhort, OT, Ohio State
5.14 - Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

Well Greg Robinson was finally showing the promise that could have made him worth the 4th overall pick, but well you know. Rome followed up that bust of a pick with two good 2nd round selections. Most of their other picks either never amounted to anything or couldn't stay healthy.

London Monarchs:
1.5 - Khalil Mack, EDGE, Buffalo
1.14 - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
2.11 - Marqise Lee, WR, USC
2.17 - Stephon Tuitt, INT, Notre Dame
3.4 - Zack Martin, OG, Notre Dame
4.4 - Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington
4.20 - Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State
6.5 - Caraun Reid, INT, Princeton
7.1 - John Brown, WR, Pittsburg State

Really nice drafting here from London. This might be the single best draft class I've reviewed yet. Mack is an obvious stud that they got all the way at 5. Dennard has had some consistency issues but has still been pretty good. Lee showed promise early on but overall has not lived up to his draft spot. It keeps getting better with the next two picks. Tuitt and Martin are two of the best in the league at their respective positions. Sankey and Reid did nothing but Gabe Jackson is a top OG and Brown has found his role as a speedster WR. Very, very good drafting from London in this one.

Rhein Fire:
1.6 - Aaron Donald, INT, Pittsburgh
2.3 - Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
3.1 - Dominique Easley, INT, Florida
3.14 - Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
5.7 - Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State
6.2 - Dontae Johnson, CB, NC State
6.4 - Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
6.9 - Storm Johnson, RB, UCF
7.2 - Larry Webster, DE, Bloomsburg
7.3 - A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama
7.6 - Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
7.13 - Dakota Dozier, OG, Furman

Rhein absolutely nailed their first two picks. Unfortunately Shazier ****ed up his spine and can't play but I'd still say it was a good pick. Latimer and Brooks have both had their moments but haven't really become regular contributors. Otherwise there isn't much to write home about from this class. 

Cuba Smugglers:
1.7 - Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
2.4 - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
2.12 - Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
2.15 - Jeremiah Attaochu, EDGE, Georgia Tech
2.16 - Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
3.10 - Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
4.3 - Marcus Martin, C, USC
4.12 - Carl Bradford, LB, Arizona State
5.16 - Daquan Jones, INT, Penn State
6.6 Craig Loston, S, LSU
6.13 - Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh

This is a draft with a lot of untapped potential. Ebron and Benjamin both had the talent to be great players but just never really put it all together. Attaochu likewise has had plenty of flashes. Cooks and Van Noy turned out to be good pros but otherwise not much came out of this class.

Auckland Aces:
1.8 - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
2.10 - Timmy Jernigan, INT, Florida State
3.6 - Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
4.15 - David Yankey, OG, Stanford
4.16 - C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
5.1 - Yawin Smallwood, LB, UConn
5.6 - Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
6.12 - Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas

Solid draft from Auckland. Lewan, Jernigan, and Robinson are a solid first three rounds. Nobody else ended up amounting to anything though.

Boston Beserkers:
1.9 - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma
2.8 - Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
6.16 - Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty
7.8 - Anthony Johnson, INT, LSU
7.9 - Ego Ferguson, INT, LSU

Yeesh, that's an ugly draft. Gilbert and Sefarian-Jenkins were both notoriously bad busts and nobody else was anything.

Gotham Gashslayers:
1.10 - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
2.18 - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
3.17 - Marcus Smith, EDGE, Louisville
4.18 - Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
5.17 - Brandon Thomas, OG, Clemson
6.3 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State

Gotham certainly swung for the fences with Manziel here and it did not work out. Smith likewise was a highly touted prospect that did not live up to the hype. Gotham did well with Matthews and Landry though.

Seoul Dragons:
1.11 - Ra'Shede Hageman, INT, Minnesota
2.1 - Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
3.15 - Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
3.20 - Kareem Martin, EDGE, North Carolina
4.14 - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State
7.15 - Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia

Another pretty good draft from Seoul. They miss on Hageman at the top as he never lived up to his athletic potential. Fuller was a nice pick though as was Hyde at the end of the 3rd. The best pick was definitely Derek Carr, who has at times played at an MVP level. Getting him at the bottom of the 4th is great value.

Los Angeles Supastars:
1.12 - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
3.5 - Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
4.8 - Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State
4.9 - Christian Jones, LB, Florida State
4.10 - Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson

Was not looking forward to getting to this draft. I was all aboard the Pryor hype train and that was a huge miss. Moses and Richburg were good picks on the OL. Jones was a waste of a pick and Bryant was too but at least he showed potential at one point.

Camden Hood Rats:
1.13 - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
1.17 - Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
2.5 - Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
2.14 - Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State
3.2 - Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
3.19 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
4.11 - Keith McGill, CB, Utah State
5.19 - DeVonta Freeman, RB, Florida State
6.14 - Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin

Wow, this was a great draft. Imagine if Bortles didn't suck? Him throwing to Evans and OBJ would be incredible. Barr was also a nice pick at the end of the first. The two CB picks didn't work out but then Camden ended with Freeman and Borland. Even with Borland retiring I'd still say that's a solid pick there. Very nice drafting.

Berlin Blitzkrieg:
1.15 - HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
2.7 - Kony Ealy, EDGE, Missouri
3.9 - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
4.1 - Ja'Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
5.4 - Trent Murphy, EDGE, Stanford
7.5 - Daniel McCullers, INT, Tennessee
7.14 - Shane Skov, LB, Stanford
7.17 - Brent Urban, INT, Virginia

Mostly solid draft here from Berlin. Clinton-Dix has been a decent, if inconsistent, player at the next level. Ealy was a bust. Matthews was very good early on but dropped off. James and Murphy were both good picks and Urban has been a decent depth guy to land at the second to last pick of the draft.

Las Vegas Gamblers:
1.16 - Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
1.18 - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
2.6 - Louis Nix, INT, Notre Dame
3.16 - Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
5.10 - Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
5.15 - Terrance Mitchell, CB, Oregon
6.10 - Kelcy Quarles, INT, South Carolina
6.17 - Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech
7.10 - Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College

This was not a great draft for Las Vegas. Roby was a nice pickup with the last pick in the first round but pretty much every other pick was a complete bust. Mitchell and Pierre-Louis are still in the NFL but aren't really BDL level players.

Orlando Skunk Apes:
2.9 - Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
3.13 - Joel Bitonio, OG, Nevada
4.17 - Will Sutton, INT, Arizona State
5.8 - Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida
6.11 - Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina
7.16 - A.C. Leonard, TE, Tennessee State

Decent class from the Skunk Apes, especially considering they didn't have a first rounder. Ward and Bitonio were solid choices at the spots they were taken. Nobody else really amounted to anything though.

Dublin Dullahan:
3.7 - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
3.12 - Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
3.18 - DeMarcus Lawrence, EDGE, Boise State
5.2 - LaMarcus Joyner, S, Florida State
5.12 - Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
5.18 - Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana

Really nice draft here from the Dullahan. Verrett was a nice pick in the third even though injuries have limited him. Su'a-Filo has been a nice depth piece. The next two picks are where the great value comes in. Lawrence and Joyner are two very good players and to find them at the bottom of the third and in the fifth is something that really helps the quality of the Dublin draft class.

Wichita Coyotes:
4.5 - Cyrus Kouandijo, OT, Alabama
4.7 - Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson

Small class from Wichita. Kouandjio never amounted to much but Breeland has been a pretty solid player in the pros.

Sacramento Gladiators:
5.3 - Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
5.5 - Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
5.13 - Billy Turner, OG, North Dakota State
5.20 - Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida
6.7 - Trai Turner, OG, LSU
6.8 - Cameron Fleming, OT, Stanford
7.12 - Aaron Lynch, EDGE, USF

Finally we have Sacramento who didn't pick until the 5th round. Despite that he had a solid draft. Desir has been a solid CB in the league for a while now and Gaines is solid depth. Turner and Turner, OG's at large present a nice inside tandem for the OL as well.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, PR said:

Wish I could use it but we're locked into this Apex program. We're not allowed to use anything else but the county can't figure out how to actually use Apex. It's incredibly frustrating especially because they had two and a half weeks to figure something out and this is what we're dealing with.

12 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

To be fair jack mewhort was really good til he randomly decided to retire two years in 

If a player decides to retire rather than continue playing for you you've failed as a team and should do what all GMs do when they fail their players. 

• Like 1