Fan Speak Mock Drafts

THE DUKE

I used Fanspeak this week, using DraftUtopia's updated draft board for player rankings:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
  3. Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
  4. Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State
  5. Ben Bartch, OT, St Johns
  6. Jonah Jackson, OG, Ohio State
  7. Tyler Bass, K, Georgia Southern

Toughest call for me was between Gladney and Isaiah Wilson at 33 (he's rising up boards leading into the combine as more teams review his tape), but I went with Gladney, who I won't be shocked if he ends up anywhere as high as the teens or as low as the 50's.

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I used Fanspeak this week, using DraftUtopia's updated draft board for player rankings:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU

Toughest call for me was between Gladney and Isaiah Wilson at 33 (he's rising up boards leading into the combine as more teams review his tape), but I went with Gladney, who I won't be shocked if he ends up anywhere as high as the teens or as low as the 50's.

A+. Love Gladney at 33.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, THE DUKE said:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU

I love Isaiah Wilson. I hope he has a bad combine so he cools down a bit. I think he’s like a Willie Anderson type RT where you plug him in and don’t worry about him for 10+ years. 

1 hour ago, Carson4MVP said:

I love Isaiah Wilson. I hope he has a bad combine so he cools down a bit. I think he’s like a Willie Anderson type RT where you plug him in and don’t worry about him for 10+ years. 

He won't be a plug and play right away guy like Willie was, but yes, i see him as a decade long starter at RT.  He also played LT at UGA his freshman year before they swapped him and Thomas.

14 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

He won't be a plug and play right away guy like Willie was, but yes, i see him as a decade long starter at RT.  He also played LT at UGA his freshman year before they swapped him and Thomas.

Yeah. He’s still a bit green. But is an absolute beast run blocker. Still needs to improve at pass block. That and us having Jonah, tells me he’s more suited on the right side instead of the left with us. But yeah, there are definitely teams in the league that would play him on the left side. 

On 2/23/2020 at 9:53 AM, Carson4MVP said:

Yeah. He’s still a bit green. But is an absolute beast run blocker. Still needs to improve at pass block. That and us having Jonah, tells me he’s more suited on the right side instead of the left with us. But yeah, there are definitely teams in the league that would play him on the left side. 

Wilson looks like a guy who can be a right guard for a season until he fully develops into his right tackle potential.  I'd be happy to grab him at the top of two, and ecstatic to get him later than that. Sign a veteran left guard so we aren't relying on 2 second year players over there and our line is about as good as we can realistically hope.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

You think it's unrealistic to hope for an upgrade from Hart for 2020?

I think so. If anything his “upgrade” might already be on the roster in Fred Johnson.

From reading between the lines of Tobin and Taylor’s comments this offseason, I’d say it’s doubtful we take a tackle early enough for him to play meaningful snaps in 2020, but you never know with how the board falls. Maybe someone like Josh Jones slides to 33 and we jump on it. Who knows. Even then we probably prefer to upgrade the defense instead. 

If we do go tackle, I think it’s more likely we take a developmental guy like Ben Bartch or Saahdiq Charles to take over in 2021 in rounds 3/4. The IOL is worse off, if you ask me. Guard is our weakest OL spot. We need a starter at LG more than we need to replace Hart. 

Went back to the Mock draft machine today, and I like what I ended up with quite a bit

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU
  2. Patrick Queen, LB, LSU
  3. Isaiah Wilson, OL, Georgia
  4. Bradley Anae, Edge, Utah
  5. Quartney Davis, WR, Texas A&M
  6. Tyler Clark, DT, Georgia

Tyler Clark would make another young DT that could pair with Renell Wren to be the 2 DE's in the 3-4 scheme if we want to give Atkins and Dunlap a breather, but Clark has more pass rush potential as a depth 4-3 DT than Wren.  Anae would also fit across from Lawson as the 3-4 OLB's.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Went back to the Mock draft machine today, and I like what I ended up with quite a bit

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Tyler Clark would make another young DT that could pair with Renell Wren to be the 2 DE's in the 3-4 scheme if we want to give Atkins and Dunlap a breather, but Clark has more pass rush potential as a depth 4-3 DT than Wren.  Anae would also fit across from Lawson as the 3-4 OLB's.

Sign me up.  Immediately

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

1. Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Any draft that starts with Burrow and Queen is an A. Everything after that is gravy.