Browns hire Kevin Stefanski as HC

.Buzz

29 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

the role of an executive is to make decisions.

dorsey was 90% his own thoughts/reseach and 10% data. 

analytics tries to remove personal bias from decision making. "

reduce uncertainty/not over inflate your own opinion. 

I know what analytics is, but is depo just analytics now? It’s surely isn’t just that, if so make him the head of the analytics department. He is basically running football operations but we have no idea what everything entails and you can’t just let analytics perform all those jobs. You need human interaction for that and he isn’t in the building really outside one day of the week. To me if he is the boss that is going to lead to a lot of resentment IMO from the other employees, especially if things go south. 

Edited by buno67

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I know what analytics but depo just is just analytics? It’s surely isn’t just that, if so make him the head of the analytics department. He is basically running football operations but we have no idea what everything entails and you can’t just let analytics perform all those jobs. You need home interaction for that and he isn’t in the building really outside one day of the week. To me if he is the boss that is going to lead to a lot of resentment IMO from the other employees, especially if things go south 

Stop using the word analytics if you have no idea what it means. 

Please watch his press conference where he explains what he does in terms a 5th grader would understand. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I know what analytics is, but is depo just analytics now? It’s surely isn’t just that, if so make him the head of the analytics department. He is basically running football operations but we have no idea what everything entails and you can’t just let analytics perform all those jobs. You need human interaction for that and he isn’t in the building really outside one day of the week. To me if he is the boss that is going to lead to a lot of resentment IMO from the other employees, especially if things go south. 

He isn’t running football operations. He is providing the people who run football operations with the data and processes they need to make the most informed decisions. He said himself he isn’t making picks or deciding what FA’s we sign. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Stop using the word analytics if you have no idea what it means. 

Please watch his press conference where he explains what he does in terms a 5th grader would understand. 

On what his role with the Cleveland Browns:

" My kids ask me the same question because they want to tell people at school. What is it that you actually do? Look, Kevin talked a lot today about a shared vision. I think my role really first and foremost, is to not only help us create but also implement that shared vision and then ultimately make sure that we stick to it, really relentlessly and that is really my role. I look at all the processes that are within a football operation. Whether that, again, whether that is hiring someone, whether that is how we do scouting, whether it is how we look at things with numbers. I sort of dig into all those processes and make sure that they align with our vision and that we all as a group continue to stay aligned and be on the same page as Kevin said.”

ah yeah such a clear image of what he does /s

3 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I don’t understand how anyone can hate on DePo and his role. Would we rather have some dumb as crap doing what he does?

Not hating, just not blindly trusting. Jimmy picked him to run the organization, you gonna trust jimmy that Depo is the right guy? taking the Pessimistic approach from now on.  

5 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I don’t understand how anyone can hate on DePo and his role. Would we rather have some dumb as crap doing what he does?

I mean....

He’s been here for 1-15, 0-16, 7-9, 6-10. So my question is what would somebody dumb as crap do worse? If we have a losing record again next year, what has he done right....?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Not hating, just not blindly trusting. Jimmy picked him to run the organization, you gonna trust jimmy that Depo is the right guy? taking the Pessimistic approach from now on.  

then you are fd 7 ways from sunday son. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

7 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

He isn’t running football operations. He is providing the people who run football operations with the data and processes they need to make the most informed decisions. He said himself he isn’t making picks or deciding what FA’s we sign. 

On his role during the NFL Draft:

“A process-oriented role. I am not going to pick the players but I am going to try to make sure the players we do pick, again, align with our vision of what we believe is a winning franchise. I have had the opportunity to be around some great organizations in multiple sports and one thing that is pretty clear across all of them is that they all have an identity, a way. You hear about ‘The Patriot way’ or back in the day, ‘The Dodger way’, or whatever it might be. The teams that are great are relentless about implementing that way. That is what we need to do here and that really is my charge. My charge is not to watch tape and say, ‘Oh man, this guy has got real good feet.’ We have got scouts that are way better and way more qualified to do that than I am to do that, but when we come down to make a selection, it is my role to say, ‘Okay, are we doing, are we making a decision that actually aligns with our way and that makes sense”

sounds like he could potentially be making decision on a guy tho. Especially on the last part of his quote. He could have easily said, the draft will be handled or headed by the GM but he doesnt

10 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

If Sean was his guy, he should have known Hue wasn’t the guy after a year, especially after year two. He should have had the data to show there was no reason to keep hue. He could have pounded the table to make sure Hue was fired.  We missed out on guys like Mike Vrabel because we wanted to keep Hue for a 3rd year. Depo isn’t not shielded from everything previously

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Yeah it’s great all these reports of the coach he wanted Come out well past the fact the coach in place is a dud. Sounds more like a guy just hedging his bets.

Yeah, after the fact...

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/report-baker-mayfield-broke-tie-in-freddie-kitchens-favor-during-browns-coaching-search/95-46bafde0-095f-425c-8ef2-dc4128c7cc56

Author: Matthew Florjancic

Published: 11:33 AM EST January 11, 2019
Updated: 1:07 PM EST January 11, 2019

CLEVELAND — The search committee reportedly was split on who to hire as the 17th full-time head coach of the Cleveland Browns, and when a consensus could not be reached, rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield helped break the tie.

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, Mayfield tilted the scales in favor of Kitchens, whom the “football people,” led by general manager John Dorsey, liked more than Minnesota Vikings interim offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, the favored candidate of the “analytics guys,” namely chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta.”

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Don’t blame him, that is the analytical move. 

The evidence mounts pointing to buno still not understanding what analytics actually is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

sounds like he could potentially be making decision on a guy tho. Especially on the last part of his quote. He could have easily said, the draft will be handled or headed by the GM but he doesnt

The patriots build a team, dorsey collected talent.

Dorsey sepnt all assets and didnt get us to the playoffs. And we are pauing to much to the wrong positions. 

We should of extended schobert already, we should have more future assrts in the draft. 

We shouldnt be paying 30 million for 2k recieving yards and 12 tds. 

We should of had carl nassib and someone else not named chad thomas.

Many of his moves were not analytics based, but whatever dorsey wanted to do at the time.