2020 Stupidity Virus Outbreak

Pastor Dillon

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

https://sportsradio610.radio.com/blogs/brandon-scott/jj-watt-on-texans-front-office-moves-i-answer-to-my-job

Here is what Watt said when asked if he thought moves made this offseason by head coach/general manager Bill O'Brien put the Texans in the best position to win. 

"That's why people have jobs in those positions," Watt said. "That's the coaching staff, general manager, front office. That's their job. My job is to play the game and do it to the best of my ability. I have to answer to my job and they answer to their job. So, that's my job. I go out there and I play the game and I try to help us win football games. They try and put the team together that they feel is best for us to win football games. We each answer the bell to our own calls."

I read that as if we don't get to Super Bowl and / or offense sputters, somebody - maybe a HC / GM - didn't do his job and should answer for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I read that as if we don't get to Super Bowl and / or offense sputters, somebody - maybe a HC / GM - didn't do his job and should answer for it.

Agree - he's distancing himself from the off-season in its entirety. He's just like us, wondering why anyone would trade away a top tier WR, for nothing.

This is like when Watt would speak about Jadevion Clowney. Watt didn't throw him under a bus for anything in particular, but he made it clear that he wasn't cut from a cloth that Watt could appreciate. It was equal to a shoulder shrug and "He's gonna do what he's gonna do," statement, something that illustrated there wasn't cohesion between the two. Watt is a professional, so he's not going to go all Jalen Ramsey on the situation - but he'll voice his concern as diplomatically as possible.

Watt is saying a ton with his statement. He'll still be the guy doing his job, but he's not beyond wondering if others aren't doing their job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

More fuel to the fire...

https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/05/28/j-j-watt-couldnt-think-of-valid-reason-why-bill-obrien-was-a-good-head-coach-video/

I do think this is a case of the media trying to drum up some drama, but I'd be lying if I said it's not dramatic. JJ doesn't have much to say that would be deemed as positive... he's had an entire off-season to construct an answer to this obvious question, and if this is the extent of it, it tells me that he isn't a fan anymore. He quickly pivoted the answer to what the fans want, he steered the discussion away from BoB.

This really means... BoB is about to trade him.

Just an interesting note

Watson needs to pass for 3,675 yards in 2020 to become #2 all time in Texans history. He is about 13,500 yards behind Matt Schaub. Watson is only 53 passing TDs behind Schaub though. So by the end of next season he should be the all time leader. 

9 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Timmy Jernigan just posted on his IG that he won’t be in Houston after all 

Yes, saw that. Weird, not sure what happened here. DL depth is still a need now.

Christian Covington is out there - we know he knows our system and can step in immediately - but he's roster fodder at absolute best, can't really rush the passer or stop the run. Covington is literally a warm body at most. 

Guys like Snack Harrison and Jonathan Hankins are declining and run stuffer guys, but I'd consider both on par with Jernigan...

48 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yes, saw that. Weird, not sure what happened here. DL depth is still a need now.

Christian Covington is out there - we know he knows our system and can step in immediately - but he's roster fodder at absolute best, can't really rush the passer or stop the run. Covington is literally a warm body at most. 

Guys like Snack Harrison and Jonathan Hankins are declining and run stuffer guys, but I'd consider both on par with Jernigan...

Jernigan never took his physical apparently

I would welcome Covington back - but methinks he does not want to play for Bo'OB

• Like 1

Peter King who’s probably the most plugged in guy in the league released his 2020 Power Rankings. Here’s his Texans ranking and write up.....

22. Houston (11-7, lost AFC divisional game 51-31 at Kansas City)

Not much has gone right for the Texans in 2020. It started with getting totally embarrassed, outscored 51-7 in the last 40 minutes of the playoff debacle at Kansas City. It continued with the trade of a top-three NFL receiver, DeAndre Hopkins, to Arizona for 55 cents on the dollar. Left with one draft choice in the top 80, Houston used it to replace D.J. Reader, a defensive tackle lost in free agency to Cincinnati, with TCU’s Ross Blacklock. The Texans acquired a pair of vet receivers, Brandin Cooks (on his fourth team at 26) and Randall Cobb, for Deshaun Watson.

Deshaun Watson Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. (Getty Images)

But the Texans’ path to the playoffs will depend on the defense, which sunk from 12th in 2018 to 28th last year, then gave up four touchdowns in 10 minutes in the collapse at Kansas City. New defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver takes over for Romeo Crennel, and he has to wonder which J.J. Watt will play this year—the three-time Defensive Player of the Year, or the one who’s missed 32 of the last 64 games with injuries. Without Watt, the cupboard is bare at pass-rusher; Whitney Mercilus(last 32 games: 11.5 sacks) seems the best hope. Actually, the best hope, even without Hopkins, is building a top-five offense that can outscore teams.

The Texans should know where they stand by the end of September. They open against the last two MVPs—at Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson at home—before traveling to play the rehabbed Ben Roethlisberger and one of the best defenses in football.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Peter King who’s probably the most plugged in guy in the league released his 2020 Power Rankings. Here’s his Texans ranking and write up.....

It's pretty telling he's got Tennessee and Indianapolis ahead of us. This being said, he's not wrong - the defense was a disaster last season, and it only got worse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

It's pretty telling he's got Tennessee and Indianapolis ahead of us. This being said, he's not wrong - the defense was a disaster last season, and it only got worse.

I don’t think the defense got worse. We added some good rookies and the only player that’s a net loss is Reader and having a healthy watt could easily make up for that 

36 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t think the defense got worse. We added some good rookies and the only player that’s a net loss is Reader and having a healthy watt could easily make up for that 

You're assuming the rookies contribute early - Reader might be overrated and overpriced, but he's a proven commodity. Ross Blacklock might be good, might not be good.

Pass rush is still a significant issue, secondary outside of Justin Reid is a question mark (and I doubt we bring in Eric Reid) so I'm not feeling good on this unit. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:36 PM, ET80 said:

You're assuming the rookies contribute early - Reader might be overrated and overpriced, but he's a proven commodity. Ross Blacklock might be good, might not be good.

Pass rush is still a significant issue, secondary outside of Justin Reid is a question mark (and I doubt we bring in Eric Reid) so I'm not feeling good on this unit. 

Secondary is a question mark but the argument can be made for it being better. We aren’t trying to play Jospeh anymore with us addition by subtraction. Plus our guys are going to have a full year in the system now. Also Johnson is going into year 2. 

pass rush sees a year of growth from Martin and Omenihu plus the return of Ojafor and a healthy Watt. 

d-line is the biggest question mark but we are returning several guys there as well. 

we have rookies on the D-Line, OLB and CB who could provide some depth. 

so while we might not have a good D, it should be improved at least slightly. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Looking at our roster, I’m gonna go get Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson and Darren Fells in fantasy because they might be the 3 guys who don’t miss half the season. 

I'm actually filing Kahale Warring as a last round flyer. I think he'll get the bulk of Hopkins' targets in the RZ and on 3rd down. 

Watson loves looking to his TEs and Warring probably poses the most dominating figure of the entire group...if he's picked up anything in terms of knowledge, he's got every tool to be a star, and a QB who can make him a superstar.