2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

5 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

What do we have in Karl Joseph is my biggest question ? Does you ever live up to the 14th player overall ? Or what you say you guys ?

Interested to see where Guenther best sees him. Certainly matching up against bigger TEs isn't his best spot. He looks like he can play. Hopefully this staff can level him up.

3 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Amerson has had one stretch of games in his career where he was good. Outside of that, he's been the same garbage player every year. He's young and has ideal physical traits, so people want to give him more opportunities but personally I'd bring Sean Smith back before Amerson.

Exactly. It's the PFF culture we live in. Rank high, get a pass for awhile.

Personally.... scrap them both. Huge cap savings and let the DC find his guys.

2 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Amerson has had one stretch of games in his career where he was good. Outside of that, he's been the same garbage player every year. He's young and has ideal physical traits, so people want to give him more opportunities but personally I'd bring Sean Smith back before Amerson.

I like Smith over Amerson as well.

If we could re-negotiate Smith down to Amerson's contract - 6 mill per annum rather 8-9m then it would be more palatable to keep him. However, a big CB like Smith has to play a lot of press and shadow the bigger receivers - if you just put him on one side (yes Ken Norton I am speaking to you), then OCs will get their Brandin Cooks like receivers on him and he is toast. 

Back on the draft topic, I'm still all in on Roquan Smith at 10. With defenses playing so many spread formations, you have to have RBs would can run. 

Saw a Ryan Shazier comparison which is fitting.  Coming out, Shazier's concerns were his size and getting washed out on blocks. They are similar athletically, but Roquan has better eyes and instincts. 

45 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Back on the draft topic, I'm still all in on Roquan Smith at 10. With defenses playing so many spread formations, you have to have RBs would can run. 

Saw a Ryan Shazier comparison which is fitting.  Coming out, Shazier's concerns were his size and getting washed out on blocks. They are similar athletically, but Roquan has better eyes and instincts. 

Didn't Shazier run like 4.4 something iirc.? I don't think Smith is on that same level athletically, but to be fair not many LBs are. 

I saw Bill Polian say yesterday that Smith may have to start his career at WLB if he gets drafted to a team that doesn't have the necessary Dline to protect and free him up to make plays. Which would be us.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It was a rhetorical question. I don't think Amerson is a good player in any scheme. I don't think he's a starting caliber CB period and I wouldn't pay him like one was my point.

He's an injury risk at this stage with concussions and has put more bad play on tape than good. 

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

The one stretch of games that Amerson had where he played well was the stretch when he was healthy and used to his strength and he produced.

The next year started with the hamstring and then he had the first concussions and he hasn't been the same.

So if he wasn't good with Washington.

Then came here and was good.

Then the next year was playing in the same system but with noted injuries and his play slips that is a clear path of causation. All of this is undisputed.

I'm also not for bringing him back.

49 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Didn't Shazier run like 4.4 something iirc.? I don't think Smith is on that same level athletically, but to be fair not many LBs are. 

I saw Bill Polian say yesterday that Smith may have to start his career at WLB if he gets drafted to a team that doesn't have the necessary Dline to protect and free him up to make plays. Which would be us.

Yeah Shazier didn't run t the combine but ran an unoffical 4.36 at his proday. A few guys there said the clock was fast but that is still blazing fast for a LB.

All the recent guys you would compare Smith to like Shazier, Darron Lee or Deion Jones all had good to great interior Dlines in front of them when they shined in college and the pros and the weakness were all correspondingly the same; small, hard time getting off blocks, gets swallowed up in traffic.

So if that is the pick, we better have a plan for the interior because Vandy may be good but he is rehabbing an ACL and all we have besides him is 7th rder Hestor and UDFA Lathum. 

That is why I think we should be addressing the DT spot lower in the 1st or high 2nd after a trade down. Just makes sense with the number of spots we need an impact players (CB, RB, DT LB) and those positions being the ones strong in the 1st-3rd range this year.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Smith is said to run a 4.5, prior to training for it as well. We will see. But his speed on tape is brilliant.

The same was said about Shazier. Projected as a wWLB and would need a Dline to keep him clean to chase and tackle. 

3 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

What do we have in Karl Joseph is my biggest question ? Does you ever live up to the 14th player overall ? Or what you say you guys ?

It really depends on what you mean by "live up to the 14th player overall". Some guys drafted 14th end up HOFers, did they live up to it? Not really, they went well beyond it. Other guys have washed out of the league in 3 years and done nothing. What exactly is living up to that specific draft slot in that specific year?

I think on another plane, it's clear he's not a superstar. Likely never going to be. A limited player, but within his skill set can definitely be a part of good defensive play. And that's me being diplomatic about it. In truth I do not like the pick. I wonder to myself where the guy I saw in college disappeared to. Seemed like a free safety then, a bit of a missile too. Now? No idea. 

At this point I see a very small run defender, which can be had undrafted. Against the pass I've no idea where he fits or how. He showed minor signs of life in that aspect late this year, an INT, a couple passes defensed, and a dropped INT. So maybe, just maybe, this one of the cases where saying Norton and R. Woodson ruined a guy with crap coaching and scheme has truth. The Norton thing is a blanket excuse. We'll find going forward some guys will produce and get better if coached well, and others are turd players in any circumstance. So it's hard to know for sure. The good news is that he looked like a pass defender in college, and in the pros he has looked utterly confused. Let's hope the confusion is/was the coaching.

1 hour ago, holyghost said:

I think on another plane, it's clear he's not a superstar. Likely never going to be. A limited player, but within his skill set can definitely be a part of good defensive play. And that's me being diplomatic about it. In truth I do not like the pick. I wonder to myself where the guy I saw in college disappeared to. Seemed like a free safety then, a bit of a missile too. Now? No idea. 

At this point I see a very small run defender, which can be had undrafted. Against the pass I've no idea where he fits or how.

I think we need to use him like AZ used Honey Badger. It will require him to work on his coverage skills so he can play faster on the short routes from slot wrs and rbs. I see him being on the field around 60%  of the time and us investing in another S.

In that sense, he may not ever live up to being a high 1st but like you said he can be a part of a really good defense.

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know, me too about Vea.

It will be important to have at least one DT that gets penetration  and can demand attention i in fact we do move to a 4-3.

Just to give you a few other guys to look at that will be around later that may provide that skillset as well.

Tim Settle VT (6'3" 335) - He is a bit shorter and therefore plays heavier game than Vea but he has some serious burst and push

Kendrick Norton  Miami (6'3" 320) - He has nice push as well and good hand action/punch/placement. Keep the olinemen off his body and rips and to get to the ball nicely. Constant motor was somewhat lacking but I only had 1 and a half games to review.

Wanted to bring this discussion over here cause I was feeling bad about hijacking the free agency thread with draft talk.

Really like Tim Settle. If we go somewhere other than Vea, he is probably my next favorite for a NT type, and I don't think that's just my maroon and orange colored glasses talking. I agree with your assessment - has a relatively dynamic game for his stature. However, I do think his draft positioning will be consistent in comparison to Vea. He won't be able to work up and down the line as much - but a solid, solid prospect that should be a good value wherever he goes.

Don't know anything about Norton. Look forward to checking him out though.

Archived