2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

3 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I've seen a few beat writers shoot it down a couple times. They seemed convinced it won't happen. 

I would like to draft a tackle in the 2nd if a decent one is there like Okorafor or Crosby. 

Penn scares me quite a bit, getting up there in age and got hurt at the end of the year again. 

Sharpe looked good in limited time. Newhouse is average/below average for a RT. 

Gruden has been in the coaches chair for all of a hot cup of coffee...the reports about Osemele may have been true under the DRC regime, but not so sure anyone has a true idea of what Chuckie has in mind.

Either way, it's too early to say anything is out of the realm of possibility.  Especially when the staple of those teams Gruden had with us the first go around was a bad a** oline.  Even RM made a comment about when we brought in Osemele regarding his ability to move to Tackle and be versitale.  He was paid to be more than a guard if called upon.

9 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

lol, he didnt say osemele is incapable of lining up outside the guard. he said he's not being considered to move positions.

Well of course he isn't - right now. There's no reason to move him to LT right now with Penn still under contract and no one capable to replace him.

But if a guy like Nelson falls in the draft, why wouldn't it be a consideration? Penn is old. KO has experience there. Nelson could be an elite replacement and it could improve the line, especially the run game, and make our OL even stronger. If people dont like it, fine, whatever. But Vic Tafur saying that there's no buzz to him being moved from LG, 3 weeks before FA and 2 months before the draft, does not mean its this impossible, never-gonna-happen kinda thing.

2 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

lol, just because he isn't now doesn't mean he won't be later if the situation is right (like Nelson falling to us or that showing to be the best option in camp after off season plans don't pan out.) I think it's a valid train of thought and worth the discussion.

Exactly, if Nelson falls to us and is without a doubt the best player on the board you take him.  To say that KO will not move to LT if a scenario like this were to happen is being naive.  KO at LT and either cut Penn or have him restructure his contract to play RT would be a viable option.

I would be in favor of bringing in Nelson and moving KO to lt. However, you have to wonder if he makes it to 9/10. Weird thing is, and I’m not trying to start any conspiracy theories, but have you noticed that 99 % of mocks have had us at 10 and niners at nine. Not sure why that happens, just an observation.

I think gruden wants to infuse some smash mouth, which is a big reason for keeping lynch. Not saying I’m 100% in favor of it but just how I see things. Saw some tweets today saying that our staff likes a lot of the backs available and we have already met with John Kelly and Sony Michel. Both of those guys would pair well with lynch and Reggie has to regret passing on kamara. Not saying either is definite but I could def see a back in rounds 2-4. If Barkley somehow makes it to us in the first, I think it’s a no brainer but odds are slim. Just hope he isn’t a giant or bronco.

17 hours ago, Dessie said:

I like Yiadom and Carter. Yiadom adds special teams value as well. Carter would be a good nickel pass rusher, seems very similar to  Bruce Irvin.

What’s your thoughts on other corners I like?

Isaiah Oliver

Jaire Alexander

Carlton Davis.

I haven't dove deep and any of these guys, but my first impressions weren't great on these three. I view Oliver as being a step down from both Awuzie and Weatherspoon. He's very thin and I don't think he has day one press man ability. I thought Deontay Burnett and the USC receivers got the better of him in the one game I watched. My pro comp for him is Kevin Johnson.

Alexander I like the most of these 3, but he's going to be a guy who gives up as much as he takes in the NFL. He lacks an ideal frame but he plays the game with moxie and instinct. He played a lot of cover-3 at Louisville and was surprisingly active at the line of scrimmage considering his size. He reminds me of Jalen Mills.

Carlton Davis I've seen the least of. My impressions of him are similar to Oliver but he's definitely thicker. I don't really love what I see when I watch him. He seems like a guy who has to win at the line or else he's a liability to lose against quicker competition at the top of routes. 3-cone will be a big drill for him this weekend.

Regarding this KO talk:

I think KO can play LT, he can be a somewhat average LT.

On the other hand he can be an All Pro LG, a difference maker.

Carr needs a stout interior OL, because he handles middle pressure relatively poorly. He can deal with lesser OT play with his quick release.

So I think KO should stay at LG, Penn should come back and battle with the young guys for his spot. 

By young guys I mean Sharpe, Ware and some rookie(s).

1 hour ago, roi34 said:

Landry is reminiscent of Vic beasley with his speed off line.

He’s going to put up an impressive 3-cone. The thing is, there haven’t been very many undersized edge players like him to thrive in the NFL on a down to down basis. If we consider the Von Miller prototype — guys who vagely comp to him like Irvin and Beasley — they haven’t evolved into top tier pass rushers despite their sometimes elite atheticism.

19 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly, if Nelson falls to us and is without a doubt the best player on the board you take him.  To say that KO will not move to LT if a scenario like this were to happen is being naive.  KO at LT and either cut Penn or have him restructure his contract to play RT would be a viable option.

Meh call me crazy but I like Wynn better plus no question about if he can play ot and can be had in the 2nd

if the raiders draft nelson and KO moves to tackle i'll eat my hat. you dont move an all-pro caliber player to a new position based on a limited sample size showing we can perform adequately there to make room for a rookie. 

he did play RT for the ravens during their SB run, and that has been a hole for us. but he was never a special tackle, started 4 games at left tackle. that's not going to convince the staff to take him out of a position where he has been dominant

18 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

if the raiders draft nelson and KO moves to tackle i'll eat my hat. you dont move an all-pro caliber player to a new position based on a limited sample size showing we can perform adequately there to make room for a rookie. 

he did play RT for the ravens during their SB run, and that has been a hole for us. but he was never a special tackle, started 4 games at left tackle. that's not going to convince the staff to take him out of a position where he has been dominant

Unless Nelson is the pick and shows that he can be a great/possibly all pro guard as well and we don't have better solutions at T than. It's whats best for the team and none of us know what that is just yet.

We haven't had the draft or free agency. We haven't gauged the young T's progression under the new coaches and we haven't seen Penn's post rehab status. A lot can happen that will affect any oline scenario including the unforeseen. But keep doubling down please. It makes things more exciting around here.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

Unless Nelson is the pick and shows that he can be a great/possibly all pro guard as well and we don't have better solutions at T than. It's whats best for the team and none of us know what that is just yet.

We haven't had the draft or free agency. We haven't gauged the young T's progression under the new coaches and we haven't seen Penn's post rehab status. A lot can happen that will affect any oline scenario including the unforeseen. But keep doubling down please. It makes things more exciting around here.

instead lets entertain fantasy scenarios where a guy given 5/60 to be an all-pro guard is moved over to a position he has started a total of 4 gmes to make room for a rookie, instead of drafting other players who can fill actual positions of need, unlike guard

Archived