2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

24 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I just compared on the trade chart because I was wondering myself.  Our pick is 1300 points. Their 2 firsts combined are 1580. Our 3rd is 215 points.  So basically we'd need to get them the value of our 3rd round pick .  Who knows, maybe the notion of getting a QB like Baker Mayfield if he's still there would be that value.  Their first and second would equal 1170 so we could get like a 4th or something too.

Honestly, I don't think we'll be able to dangle our pick to a QB needy team.  There's too many teams ahead of us in my opinion.  Our better bet is waiting for someone like Derwin James or Quenton Nelson to drop.  I feel safe saying that before us, its almost guaranteed that: Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, and 3 QBs go (Darnold/Rosen/Allen).  So probably both of those guys go too.  Maybe another QB or Ridley.  Which leaves us pretty screwed when it comes to trading down because those are the top guys unless I'm being stupid.  Damn the 49ers. 

We literally get top pick in best of the rest category.  And I don't know who is even worth trading up for with them.  Like, the next best few are CBs and LBs but there's a few equivalent talents in those groups.  Same can be said for OTs, right?  Seriously, damn the 49ers.  I don't see the winning situation here unless something wild happens on draft night.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

I like the idea of trading down for one of their firsts and both of the 2nds they got. I think it's close on the chart. 

30 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The common argument against taking a running-back in the first round is how deep this class is. I’d argue this class is as deep, if not deeper, at linebacker.

Thankfully, I doubt we have to worry about that considering our FO and how they value LBs.  I really just wanna keep Bowman but I'm pretty sure he's gone.

I have been on the Vea bandwagon for a while now.

However, I was pretty impressed to see Ro'quan Smith weigh in at 236lbs while seemingly not losing any athleticism (4.51 40-time). That increase in weight (and therefore hopefully strength) without losing much (if anything) in the speed / agility department makes me think he is not strictly a Will-only and could play Mike. That imho gives him added value and might make me reconsider my preferred choice. I wish he could have done some of the agility testing.

Anyone know when Georgia's pro-day is?

unless somebody like Barkley/Fitzpatrick falls, i'm looking at

1 - Roquan Smith: he's exactly what this team needs. an athletic, playmaking linebacker with elite speed to chase players down and great coverage potential. his tackling ability (and ability to perform at 236) also makes him a candidate to solve our middle backer position for the first time since kirk morrison

2 - Vita Vea: very good athlete that can give us an interior playmaker for the first time in a long time. he can replace/outdo Jelly's run stuffing while adding a disruptive element ellis could never dream of. with mack next to him, running against our front will be funny to watch

3 - Tremaine Edmunds: his athletic potential is off the charts, and is compared to urlacher in that regard. probably the best upside of any linebacker in this draft. but i have him squarely below roquan because that upside presents a risk. he's not polished and lacks roquan's instinct. i wouldn't mind a situation where we trade down and draft edmunds, but i think its a mistake to pass up roquan for him

comparing Roquan Smith to Tremaine Edmunds reminds me of the Amari Cooper vs Kevin White debate from a few seasons ago. though White's injuries couldn't be predicted, so that's a bit unfair, I'll take the "sure thing" over the "upside" when i'm drafting in the first round

4 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I just compared on the trade chart because I was wondering myself.  Our pick is 1300 points. Their 2 firsts combined are 1580. Our 3rd is 215 points.  So basically we'd need to get them the value of our 3rd round pick .  Who knows, maybe the notion of getting a QB like Baker Mayfield if he's still there would be that value.  Their first and second would equal 1170 so we could get like a 4th or something too.

Honestly, I don't think we'll be able to dangle our pick to a QB needy team.  There's too many teams ahead of us in my opinion.  Our better bet is waiting for someone like Derwin James or Quenton Nelson to drop.  I feel safe saying that before us, its almost guaranteed that: Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, and 3 QBs go (Darnold/Rosen/Allen).  So probably both of those guys go too.  Maybe another QB or Ridley.  Which leaves us pretty screwed when it comes to trading down because those are the top guys unless I'm being stupid.  Damn the 49ers. 

We literally get top pick in best of the rest category.  And I don't know who is even worth trading up for with them.  Like, the next best few are CBs and LBs but there's a few equivalent talents in those groups.  Same can be said for OTs, right?  Seriously, damn the 49ers.  I don't see the winning situation here unless something wild happens on draft night.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_trade_value.htm

I have a question my first question is how often do teams use the chart,And my next question is what' the value of a 1st round pick next year when a team don't even know where they will be picking,Is all the first round picks next year value is the same since nobody knows where there picking ?

3 minutes ago, TheMadStork said:

Get Ready for Derwin James to show out tomorrow. He could be our pick (I’m hoping they view the position as a priority) 

Hope we draft somebody to help our front seven but I wouldn't be up set if we draft James I think he gonna be a good player for a long time in this league 

I think the best player to help our defense IF he falls to us is Vea. Even Ray Lewis had an improvement in his play when he had a good dt keeping him clean to make plays. Resign Bowman and draft Vea. I think our D improves dramatically. That being said he is my 4th to 5th favorite player in the top of the draft.

Archived