2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

Just now, oakdb36 said:

What makes Vea a better prospect than Payne?

i like Payne better even though I'm prob in minority on that. I feel like Payne has flahes more in terms of pass rush up middle than vita.

Just now, roi34 said:

i like Payne better even though I'm prob in minority on that. I feel like Payne has flahes more in terms of pass rush up middle than vita.

I haven't watched them enough to really tell but, from what i've seen, i would agree with you. I think Payne could be a more complete player.

I'll be happy if we get Vita Vea with the 10th.  Then look into DE/LB help in the second.  Pick up a handful of DBs in the draft as well.  The only position on offense that I would like to see us address is RB.  But I wouldn't want to see that until the 2nd or 3rd unless Barkley drops (Isn't going to happen).  

On another note, I've really enjoyed watching Shaquem Griffin light up the combine.  I really hope he does well in the NFL.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

What makes Vea a better prospect than Payne?

They're a little different in terms of projected roles in the NFL, but Vea is the rarer specimen. He's a nose tackle who pushes the pocket ala Linval Joseph or Damon Harrison. Payne is a penetrating 3-tech in the same mold of Nick Fairley. To me, I'm more sure Vea is Joseph or Harrison than I am Payne is Fairley. I also think a player like Vea helps the team more by opening up rush lanes for players around him.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

They're a little different in terms of projected roles in the NFL, but Vea is the rarer specimen. He's a nose tackle who pushes the pocket ala Linval Joseph or Damon Harrison. Payne is a penetrating 3-tech in the same mold of Nick Fairley. To me, I'm more sure Vea is Joseph or Harrison than I am Payne is Fairley. I also think a player like Vea helps the team more by opening up rush lanes for players around him.

You know that Vea is most effective as a 3T, right?

He played both last year(16) bit but this year he played almost exclusively not at NT. He was at 3T, 5T and even stood and moved around some like a money backer and then stunted. His feet are that good and he is that athletic that he was of better use to the team being disruptive and penetrating. Yes, he took multiple olinemen with him at times like a NT would but that wasn't his role. They had another draft prospect, Greg Gaines, manning the NT spot.

The only real comp that makes sense to me is Fridge Perry. Both played with aggression along with a huge frame and plus power. Both played DT and moved around but didn't normally man the NT spot despite being the biggest guy on the line. Both have plus footwork and were/are super athletic for the size. Or a modern comp would be Suh IMO.

15 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You know that Vea is most effective as a 3T, right?

He played both last year(16) bit but this year he played almost exclusively not at NT. He was at 3T, 5T and even stood and moved around some like a money backer and then stunted. His feet are that good and he is that athletic that he was of better use to the team being disruptive and penetrating. Yes, he took multiple olinemen with him at times like a NT would but that wasn't his role. They had another draft prospect, Greg Gaines, manning the NT spot.

The only real comp that makes sense to me is Fridge Perry. Both played with aggression along with a huge frame and plus power. Both played DT and moved around but didn't normally man the NT spot despite being the biggest guy on the line. Both have plus footwork and were/are super athletic for the size. Or a modern comp would be Suh IMO.

Just because he played 3T in college doesn't mean he shouldn't play nose in the NFL. He profiles as a nose and can have a bigger impact at nose. 

Just now, Rich7sena said:

Just because he played 3T in college doesn't mean he shouldn't play nose in the NFL. He profiles as a nose and can have a bigger impact at nose. 

I don't necessarily agree that he profiles as a NT or that he could have a bigger impact there. The later depends on the line around him in my opinion. If you have a guy like Chris Baker, Bennie Logan or even Vanderdoes may be better at NT (depending on if he is playing heavy or light, weight wise). But if your other DT is Clint McDonald or Mario then yes, he'd be more effective as the teams NT.

Archived