2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

11 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

This is why I think drafting Vea is a long shot.

The Raiders are rumored to be interested in Gerald McCoy

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Bolt/Gerald-McCoy-to-Raiders-trade-floated-as-possibility-115905900

Meh, doubt it happens unless he restructures his contract. He’s one of the best in the game as well. I doubt the bucs are going to be asking for something less than an 2nd or 1st. 

Vita Vea is a guy I also start to come around. First I thought that we don't need a pure NT at 10, but the more I read and search about him the more I start to like the idea of having him.

Based on his measurements he can be compared to Dontari Poe, Haloti Ngata, B.J. Raji and to Linval Joseph pretty well. https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/vita-vea

The Haloti Ngata comparison is the one that most talk about and it is pretty accurate. PFF also thinks the comp is valid: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-is-vita-vea-the-next-haloti-ngata
To me the position versatility is really important. Vea was not a 2 down NT in college and most probably he won't be a 2 down run stuffer in the NFL neither. He could play 0-1-2-3 and even 4 or 5 tech in the middle. 

The Linval Joseph comp is important IMO, since we want to mold this Defense with PG to a Zimmer like defense and Joseph is a cornerstone for that unit.

I think Vea would be a good fit with us. 

He could help us against the run for sure. Ellis was really good last year, but overall he was not that consistent during his carrier. Vea would be a force in the middle, he would get a constant double team with the inside runs and he would make the other DT's and more importantly the LB's job a lot easier. With a guy like Vea our smaller Cory James or Nichlas Morrow could be more effective against the run. 

The real question with him is how big a factor can he be in the pass rush department. That 39 total pressure (PFF article) looks quite good to me. I know that in the NFL he will have a harder time, but that size and power will translate well IMO. The thing Ted Nguyen pointed out that Vea is still raw technically, so with proper coaching (Mike Trgovac says HI) he can be a special force even in the NFL. If he can be a force teams will have to scheme against him too, so Mack would see less triple teams. When an Offense has two guys on the DL, who needs extra attention the rest can really have fun.

Mack-Vea-Edwards-Irvin could be a really strong DL IMO. we would also have a pretty deep rotation at DT with Hester, Ward and Vanderdoes later on, which could help this D a lot. 

The beauty of this IMO is that you could easily use a "nobody" at RDE and still get solid numbers with that left side and that DT rotation. Irvin could be easily replaced later on...

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Meh, doubt it happens unless he restructures his contract. He’s one of the best in the game as well. I doubt the bucs are going to be asking for something less than an 2nd or 1st. 

I don’t think think it will get done either but if true it shows the Raiders are looking for a veteran at DT.

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

https://247sports.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/Bolt/Gerald-McCoy-to-Raiders-trade-floated-as-possibility-115905900

If its true maybe we will look in another direction then again you cant never have enough pressure so Vea can still be in play.McCoy is touching 30 but i believe he's still playing at a elite level that will be huge for us

Trading for McCoy will make me want to draft Vea even more because its not like we have a ton of talent on defensive line.Mack,McCoy and Vea can be a offensives coordinator nightmare and a defensive coordinator dream

6 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

That trade is a longer shot than drafting Vea. Also, the Raiders could use more than one new defensive tackle.

I dont think that "rumor" has any legs to it.  Just something Sando suggested and the click bait media ran with.  Reggie cherishes his draft picks so I doubt McKenzie would spend a 2nd on an older player with a big contract to boot. There's Jihad Ward's to be found in the 2nd!!

Jokes aside, I firmly believe that pickup up Trumaine Johnson and drafting Vita Vea would tremendously improve our defense.  Especially if we re-sign Bowman.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea. Not sure any are worth number 10, but if we could trade down into 15-20 and stockpile picks, I’m all for it. Especially with the depth of defensive talent in this draft. 

I know now it’s all speculative at this point, but just for fun, which do you like best? I’m a McGlinchey fan myself. Thoughts?

55 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Not surprising:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/3/8/17098108/raiders-reportedly-seemed-really-interested-in-tackles-at-the-combine

Have to protect Carr.  Gruden called out Newhouse, and Penn isn't getting any younger.  Maybe then he won't be so jumpy in the pocket too.

I'm all for it, especially if we trade down a couple picks.  

I'm not sure any of the OT's are worth #10, but I wouldn't complain. Gotta keep Carr protected. 

2 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I'm all for it, especially if we trade down a couple picks.  

I'm not sure any of the OT's are worth #10, but I wouldn't complain. Gotta keep Carr protected. 

Unfortunately this year the ot class is weak imo and we picked 2 project ots last year so I don't think we'll take anymore projects. I think Wynn is the best but he is a lil short in height. After Wynn and the Norte dame guys are gone the rest are just projects or character concerns like the west Georgia ot imo.

Archived