2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

9 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I keep trying to tell people that Vea plays his best with a true NT on the field. Jelly has been good vs the run the last few yr. If he can stay with that production and take on double teams then he is doing his job.

Exactly. Jelly / Vea combo could be fun. People think Vea is just a run stuffer because of his size, but he's strong, quick and can effect the passer.

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly. Jelly / Vea combo could be fun. People think Vea is just a run stuffer because of his size, but he's strong, quick and can effect the passer.

They want an attacking (1 gap) scheme (can't remember if Gruden or Guenther mentioned it) so Vea doesn't strike me as the perfect fit next to a true NT. My guess is Jelly and MEJ are our starters inside. That leaves one starting spot at DE to fill. Curry or Carradine in FA would make sense. Rasheem Green in the draft.

14 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think the Taylor trade changes anything in the first round. The prevailing thought was Cleveland was going to add a veteran QB in free agency. That said, I still see 4 QBs going in the top 10, but they might all be gone before the Raiders' pick. I still think the Raiders can move back into the late teens, early 20s for a team looking to nab a quality non-QB prospect who falls.

It changes things with BUF. People suspected that they where in the market for a QB and this trade confirms it. They’re going to move up and they have the ammo to do it. There are going to be 5 QBs who go in the first round even if 4 go before our pick there will be 1 left that MIA and ARI will need to go after as well. Now they could trade before hitting the Raiders but i still the the Raiders are in good position to move back. 

7 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

They want an attacking (1 gap) scheme (can't remember if Gruden or Guenther mentioned it) so Vea doesn't strike me as the perfect fit next to a true NT. My guess is Jelly and MEJ are our starters inside. That leaves one starting spot at DE to fill. Curry or Carradine in FA would make sense. Rasheem Green in the draft.

But Gruden has said Irvin is an Edge.  I guess he could mean like edge setter as a SLB who puts his hand in the dirt on passing downs...but that doesn't make sense with his salary.  We did ask him to take a pay cut but if I'm him, I call our bluff. The Raiders can't afford to create another hole to fill in the draft. Plus who knows what we'd even get in FA to replace him with how thin the market is.  I think we end up in a square peg/round hole situation and hope for the best.  Maybe a trade would be a better option but I'm not sure that's something we're open to.

On Vea: I think he can fit next to a NT, but I'm not going to sit here and fight to the death over it. What's interesting is we re-signed Jelly almost immediately after meeting with him.  Not saying there is a definite correlation though. We probably have been working on an Ellis deal for a while and the Combine and Unrestricted Free Agency just happen to be one right after the other.  If anything, its just an observation I had which is probably just coincidence.

Starting to think a trade down is the best move. I think we can land a guy like Hurst/Davenport/Guice or even Edumds/Smith or OT or CB if we move to the mid to late teens. Ideally there's a QB Arizona loves on the board at 10, so they jump in front of Miami just in case. Work a deal for their first+2nd or some package including Honey Badger.

8 hours ago, Chali21 said:

It changes things with BUF. People suspected that they where in the market for a QB and this trade confirms it. They’re going to move up and they have the ammo to do it. There are going to be 5 QBs who go in the first round even if 4 go before our pick there will be 1 left that MIA and ARI will need to go after as well. Now they could trade before hitting the Raiders but i still the the Raiders are in good position to move back. 

But it won't matter if 4 QBs go before pick 10. Right now, I expect QB being the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th overall picks in this draft.

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

But Gruden has said Irvin is an Edge.  I guess he could mean like edge setter as a SLB who puts his hand in the dirt on passing downs...but that doesn't make sense with his salary.  We did ask him to take a pay cut but if I'm him, I call our bluff. The Raiders can't afford to create another hole to fill in the draft. Plus who knows what we'd even get in FA to replace him with how thin the market is.  I think we end up in a square peg/round hole situation and hope for the best.  Maybe a trade would be a better option but I'm not sure that's something we're open to.

Starting to think a trade down is the best move. I think we can land a guy like Hurst/Davenport/Guice or even Edumds/Smith or OT or CB if we move to the mid to late teens. Ideally there's a QB Arizona loves on the board at 10, so they jump in front of Miami just in case. Work a deal for their first+2nd or some package including Honey Badger.

The thing with Irvin is he's not a quality pass rusher. If he doesn't take a pay cut I'd be content cutting him or, ideally, trading him. I think Irvin might be able to net a 5th (a round the Raiders currently don't have a pick in).

I agree in trading down being the best move -- especially as the draft picture gets more clear. I'm a fan of the depth in this class more than the talent at the top. The Raiders aren't a player away on defense. It's going to take a Saints-like draft to turn around the defensive unit. I'm for trading back even if the Raiders don't completely get "fair" value. I'd love for them to get an extra pick in the 2nd round.

39 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

The thing with Irvin is he's not a quality pass rusher. If he doesn't take a pay cut I'd be content cutting him or, ideally, trading him. I think Irvin might be able to net a 5th (a round the Raiders currently don't have a pick in).

I agree in trading down being the best move -- especially as the draft picture gets more clear. I'm a fan of the depth in this class more than the talent at the top. The Raiders aren't a player away on defense. It's going to take a Saints-like draft to turn around the defensive unit. I'm for trading back even if the Raiders don't completely get "fair" value. I'd love for them to get an extra pick in the 2nd round.

Fair -- I don't disagree.  Just that I think this year Irvin might be worth more to us than anyone else. But depending how the chips fall in the draft, I could dig moving him.  The problem is that the time we could use savings from his cut/trade is before the draft.  And the pass rusher FA market is barren so we'd need to dedicate a draft pick to address the new hole. :(

I'm interested to see which pill Reggie/Gruden opt to swallow.

3 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Fair -- I don't disagree.  Just that I think this year Irvin might be worth more to us than anyone else. But depending how the chips fall in the draft, I could dig moving him.  The problem is that the time we could use savings from his cut/trade is before the draft.  And the pass rusher FA market is barren so we'd need to dedicate a draft pick to address the new hole. :(

I'm interested to see which pill Reggie/Gruden opt to swallow.

bd3.jpgSo am I!

16 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

If they plan on starting Mack and Irvin at DE in our base 4-3, i'll be worried.

8 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

If they plan on starting Mack and Irvin at DE in our base 4-3, i'll be worried.

Oh I agree, he'll get wrecked.  Gruden also said that in the same breath.  I suppose maybe he did mean "edge setter as a SLB who puts his hand in the dirt on passing downs".  Which would leave....MEJ(?) as our other base starter? Not sure.  We have so many 3T/5T types.  Maybe we do make a move to get another base 4-3 end.

At this juncture with the fresh combine stats in all of our minds on top of film and pure instincts and ball skill I have a little bit more certainty to my wishes. If Denzel Ward or Minkah are there at then I run to the podium with that card in a nanosec, but it seems unlikely they will be there. At our current position without a fall like that I would be squarely happy with Vita Vea (who ive been high on all along), Roquan (who is just a great ball player and no physical slouch), and Derwin James (barring he didn’t jump out of our draft position either). If any of those are not the pick then I want to trade down for Hurst, Davenport, or Guice. Love all three but ten is a little rich for em in my opinion. Though if it was Guice at ten I could deal. I would not touch Jackson. He does not seem like a Guenther fit at all. Edmunds scares me too. 

Archived