2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

22 hours ago, SinCity said:

I think of R Smith and V Vea, having a dominant DT makes us better in 2018 - however, Smith might be the better pick in the longer term (i.e. when we can get a dominant DT in front of Smith) - to be honest I am happy with either.

Vea will make the LBs behind him better and his line mates better.  You're saying smith will be a better pick when we get a dominant DT in front of him.....that's not a fair comparison.  Would What if Vea got a dominant LB behind him? My theory is that Vea would make the team around him better, more so than a LB would.

14 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Vea will make the LBs behind him better and his line mates better.  You're saying smith will be a better pick when we get a dominant DT in front of him.....that's not a fair comparison.  Would What if Vea got a dominant LB behind him? My theory is that Vea would make the team around him better, more so than a LB would.

Absolutely, and I said earlier in the thread that I am on the Vea bandwagon - what will be better in the long run will depend on which is the most unmissable prospect and what will be available next year - and I only said MIGHT be a better choice in the long run, I didn't say he would be.

With all of that having been said, Vea will make us better immediately and as you point out has a similar (or better) long term impact to someone like Smith.

Ultimately, Vea is being described as a Haloti Ngata type talent, and we can argue back and forth on this board about whether he is a NT or a 3T, but if we could draft a 23 year old Ngata, we would all be over that with no care of "value at #10".

23 minutes ago, SinCity said:

Absolutely, and I said earlier in the thread that I am on the Vea bandwagon - what will be better in the long run will depend on which is the most unmissable prospect and what will be available next year - and I only said MIGHT be a better choice in the long run, I didn't say he would be.

With all of that having been said, Vea will make us better immediately and as you point out has a similar (or better) long term impact to someone like Smith.

Ultimately, Vea is being described as a Haloti Ngata type talent, and we can argue back and forth on this board about whether he is a NT or a 3T, but if we could draft a 23 year old Ngata, we would all be over that with no care of "value at #10".

So is he Ngata?  Because if so, I'm completely on board.  

46 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I like Vea, and think he will be a stud. But, dammit, I am tired of taking DTs. Between MEJ, Ward, Jelly and EV I wish wed have something at the position. Obviously, that's not a reason to pass on a guy, but I wish wed be able to take a guy like Smith with confidence, knowing our young DTs would keep him clean. Buuuuut....

2 minutes ago, Totty said:

Ngata was an ELITE prospect, I have no idea how he lasted to 12. I wanted him so bad and we took Michael Freaking Huff. Dude was straight dominant at Oregon.

31 minutes ago, Totty said:

I think so. He's not going to be a 5-10 sack guy every year, like Ngata. But he's got great feet and is powerful.

It all in what Guenther is looking for in his defense. Vea is a space eater who can effect the QB and will dominate against the run. Hurst is more what he had in Cincy with Atkins. Quick first step, leverage player. 

Personally... I like Vea be a force and free up teammates and he will pressure the QB at times as well. 

I’m really starting to like Tremaine Edmunds.

The way I see it he fills two roles an LB and as an edge rusher.
I know he hasn’t lined up on the line much during his college days but after looking at his film I’m convinced he can.

8 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I’m really starting to like Tremaine Edmunds.

The way I see it he fills two roles an LB and as an edge rusher.
I know he hasn’t lined up on the line much during his college days but after looking at his film I’m convinced he can.

sadly I don't think Edmunds last to 10.....

Going come down to Vea, R Smith, Derwin James .. I don't like Ward, he is too small...

Edmunds is somehow he is there....

We have 17m in cap space... 27m if we sign Sean Smith. I just want one splash signing, CB or DT.... 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

sadly I don't think Edmunds last to 10.....

Going come down to Vea, R Smith, Derwin James .. I don't like Ward, he is too small...

Edmunds is somehow he is there....

We have 17m in cap space... 27m if we sign Sean Smith. I just want one splash signing, CB or DT.... 

I don’t think size is a good enough reason not to like Ward. Janoris Jenkins, Casey Heyward, Jason Varett, Malcolm Butler. All “smaller” CB’s in the 5’10-11 range. Bottom line is if you are quick, have good feet and good eyes you can cover in this league, you don’t have to be 6+ to be a shutdown CB and Ward is glue. 

I'm not sure if it fits with Guenther, but I see Derwin James used a lot like Malcolm Jenkins on Philly. Slot who can also play safety/linebacker and blitz. Derwin is also so sticky in coverage and has great instincts. If we can get a corner in free agency, it'll be hard to go between him and Vea IMO.

8 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Still not the biggest Vea guy, but after doing some digging I wouldn't be too upset. Still a handful of players I prefer over him though. 

Signing Wilkerson and drafting Vea would turn our weak D-line into a potentially dominant one.

I swear i feel the same way about Vea its other players i would draft over him,but it seem like we have to gamble on him.Bring presser up the middle been a problem for this defense as long as i can remember.Every player on the defense will benefit if Vita Vea can bring it

Vea is 100% my choice if he's available. I still stand behind our biggest need being getting someone to take pressure and attention off Mack. Vea would clog lanes, command double teams, and push the pocket inside. No LB can impact our D like a stud DL would. The game is won in the trenches and ours is weak as hell on D.

Archived