2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Michigan's offense just made this blue chip OSU defense with look tame. Did it with size and play design vs the athletic chasers for OSU.

Unrelated to your point, but Maurice Hurst was great in this game from what I saw. He constantly controlled his man and consistently blew things up inside when he was double teamed. I've been really high on him after watching him for the first time last weak and this game just solidifies his prospectus for me. I now think he might end up beyond the Raiders' range come draft day.

Just now, SilverNBlackFan said:

Kerryon Johnson Auburn RB looks studish. Is he eligible for next years draft?

He is draft eligible. I've seen recent hype on him but I'm not a huge fan from what I've seen. He's an upright runner in a similar mold to Demarco Murray and Darren McFadden.

My top 5 prospects mid 1st round:

1) Denzel Ward - He’ll end up being a top 10 prospect for me, but I think his size might *crosses fingers* push him down boards. As a prospect, he’s somewhere between Marshon Lattimore and Gareon Conley. Great movement skills and surprisingly capable tackler.

2) Maurice Hurst - Another guy who will be a top 10 prospect for me but has less than ideal size for the position. Maurice Hurst has some Mike Daniels to his game. Super strong and can both eat up blocks and burst through double teams.

3) Harold Landry - Injuries have held him back but he’s a real deal edge rusher.

4/5) Connor Williams/Mike McGlinchey - I find both these players very similar: great run blockers who will have to learn to pass block like pros. I’d be excited to see how the running game would blossom with one of these two.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

My top 5 prospects mid 1st round:

1) Denzel Ward - He’ll end up being a top 10 prospect for me, but I think his size might *crosses fingers* push him down boards. As a prospect, he’s somewhere between Marshon Lattimore and Gareon Conley. Great movement skills and surprisingly capable tackler.

2) Maurice Hurst - Another guy who will be a top 10 prospect for me but has less than ideal size for the position. Maurice Hurst has some Mike Daniels to his game. Super strong and can both eat up blocks and burst through double teams.

3) Harold Landry - Injuries have held him back but he’s a real deal edge rusher.

4/5) Connor Williams/Mike McGlinchey - I find both these players very similar: great run blockers who will have to learn to pass block like pros. I’d be excited to see how the running game would blossom with one of these two.

I like the Ward pick there. He will be a solid slot corner in the league for awhile and can play outside vs smaller Xs. I did see him get big bodied some this year which is understandable with his size but he also plays with good bounce and awareness most of the time so there are plus in that respect.

Hurst has that first step and burst you look for in the middle but I worry about the motor just now being seen. Well it be a consistent part of his game when he is playing vs NFL Gs and Cs and maybe not having the success he had in college. Plus I worry he is built in Mario's mold. Not a terrible thing for him but for us it means having two of the same player when we could diversify a bit with our 1st pick.

Landry is the real deal like you said IMO.

I think the testing workout phase will offer much needed clarity to a murky OT class. I see McGlinchey going in the top 10 as some OT always does whether they deserve it or not. Williams I think will fall when his hips are exposed some. I like Jamarco Jones in the mid 1st range. Has the movement mixed with the size and strength you like. He needs to clean up his pass blocking technique like most OTs coming into the league but he is a blue chipper IMO.

My top 5 in the mid 1st ATM would be -

1. Derrius Guice  RB

2. Courtland Sutton WR

3. Denzel Ward CB

4. Jamarco Jones OT

5. Rashaan Evans LB

I also think there are 3-4 edge rushers in that range that need workout and the combine to show what they have but are in that range for me from what  have seen including Landry. I'd also include Sam Hubbard and Dorance Armstrong.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

1. Derrius Guice  RB

2. Courtland Sutton WR

3. Denzel Ward CB

4. Jamarco Jones OT

5. Rashaan Evans LB

I also think there are 3-4 edge rushers in that range that need workout and the combine to show what they have but are in that range for me from what  have seen including Landry. I'd also include Sam Hubbard and Dorance Armstrong.

I don't think Hubbard or Armstrong will be in the mid first conversation. Particularly Hubbard because he simply doesn't have the production. If I were to re-do the list, I might put Guice ahead of McGlinchey/Williams. To me, he's an Ezekial Elliott type talent without the elite pass blocking.

6 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think Hubbard or Armstrong will be in the mid first conversation.

As I said, I think the pre draft process will clean up the position but they both have the attributes and skill set to be there. Just a matter of impressing scouts when it counts the most and enough teams really having edge player as a high need.

Let’s say raiders have a top 15 pick around 15... I know people won’t like me saying this but I would trade up for 

Key 

Payne 

or Chubb.... 

reason: our defense needs another elite talent in our front 7.... prolly could find a starter at pick 15 and in later rounds but I feel this defense could really benefit from an elite talent 

DE: Mack, Key 

DT: Edwards, ??

LB: Irvin, James, Bowman 

CB: Conely, ??, ??

S: Joseph, Obi

Mack and Key could potentially be scary for opposing offenses...would make our secondary look better too... add key, and add a couple solid vets in free agency...

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Let’s say raiders have a top 15 pick around 15... I know people won’t like me saying this but I would trade up for 

Key 

Payne 

or Chubb.... 

reason: our defense needs another elite talent in our front 7.... prolly could find a starter at pick 15 and in later rounds but I feel this defense could really benefit from an elite talent 

DE: Mack, Key 

DT: Edwards, ??

LB: Irvin, James, Bowman 

CB: Conely, ??, ??

S: Joseph, Obi

Mack and Key could potentially be scary for opposing offenses...would make our secondary look better too... add key, and add a couple solid vets in free agency...

I wouldn't trade up for any of those guys except Chubb. Key has been hurt, lacks the technique for him to win early in the NFL, and has a questionable commitment to football. I'd also argue he's put on some bad weight over this past college offseason. Payne is more of a late first early second round prospect to me. He's taken out in obvious passing situations which tells me he'll likely be a rotational player in the NFL. The Raiders might be able to say put (if they remain in the mid first territory) and still take better players (Chubb excluded).

Free agency will tell a big part of the story when it comes to the draft. The Raiders will likely address both the secondary and pass rush at least partially before the draft with the expected 2016 class (Smith, Amerson; extension, Irvin) exodus which could take place.

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Free agency will tell a big part of the story when it comes to the draft. The Raiders will likely address both the secondary and pass rush at least partially before the draft with the expected 2016 class (Smith, Amerson; extension, Irvin) exodus which could take place.

Every now and then I wonder what the NFL would be like if it had the draft before FA like the NBA.  I could see both good and bad come out of it

13 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Every now and then I wonder what the NFL would be like if it had the draft before FA like the NBA.  I could see both good and bad come out of it

On balance, having FA come first is better and more logical. It allows teams to set a base of veterans to build off of and allows veterans to more quickly advance their careers. FA is also an ongoing process throughout the league year as opposed to the draft, which a contained event.

That said, move the draft up so rookies have a real offseason before rookie minicamps. From Bowl season, to the Senior Bowl, to the Combine, to Pro Days and private workouts, and to the Draft all interspersed with intense training is a grueling run.

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

On balance, having FA come first is better and more logical. It allows teams to set a base of veterans to build off of and allows veterans to more quickly advance their careers. FA is also an ongoing process throughout the league year as opposed to the draft, which a contained event.

That said, move the draft up so rookies have a real offseason before rookie minicamps. From Bowl season, to the Senior Bowl, to the Combine, to Pro Days and private workouts, and to the Draft all interspersed with intense training is a grueling run.

It's timed the way it is because some guys are still in school trying to finish up. But also admittedly it has been slotted in those date due to the league and other big sporting events trying to get the most coverage so it's not all noble haha.

Random thoughts on a quick offseason 

1st move: new deal for Mack 

key players let walk in free agency or cut: 

Jano, Sean Smith, Nelson, Ellis (too much)

key players brought back :

lynch, Irvin, Amerson, Carrie, Autry, Bowman, Aldon

Have to really hit on these 3 picks 

1.   Pass Rusher 

2. LT

3. RB

add an all pro DT in free agency 

Archived