2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

On 11/5/2017 at 10:28 AM, NightTrainLane said:

I seem to have to say this every year but McGlinchey isn't a Reggie type Olinemen. He doesn't take the midwestern athletic type guy. He goes for the big southern maulers. 315 or better.

It's ok to want one of those guys but I doubt we'll ever take one.

What you're saying really holds not weight though. Reggie has had Penn and money invested in the RT spot, so he's only addressed Oline with mid-round picks. So hard to say he when LT is a need he won't address it with the BPA. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What you're saying really holds not weight though. Reggie has had Penn and money invested in the RT spot, so he's only addressed Oline with mid-round picks. So hard to say he when LT is a need he won't address it with the BPA. 

We'll see. He has had plenty of opportunity to show the the kind of olinemen he goes after and likes and since we got rid of Bergstom and Veldheer we've come away with -

13 Watson Florida ST 2nd rd

14 Jackson Miss ST 3rd rd

15 Feliciano Mia 4th rd

16 Alexander LSU 7th rd

17 Sharpe Florida 4th

You can try to minamize it by calling them mid rd picks but the proof is in the action. I'm not saying he won't fall in love with someone not in that mold. What I'm saying is past actions have shown that if he were to fall in love with a player it would be from the mold of player he has consistently taken in the past.

I tend to agree with @NightTrainLane about Reggie's preference in olineman. He's become fairly predictable in the draft in some respects and taking big offensive lineman is one area we can count on with reliability.

As the team moves down the board Orlando Brown looks like a real possibility if the staff doesn't believe the current LTotF is on the roster. Brown is about the same size as Donald Penn and is a great - and I mean great - down run blocker. He's a tough evaluation because it's hard to imagine him keeping up with NFL speed as a pure tackle but if he is able to clean up his form as a perimeter player (which might include cutting a few lbs.), he could be awesome.

Marshawn is starting to come on strong and looks to still have that explosion... I don’t see us drafting a RB in round one unless Barkley drops which won’t happen... Lynch will be back in 2018 and prolly push off getting a young stud in 2019 or mid rounds this year... 

positions I think raiders could draft round 1:

LT- Penn is old 

DT- ward is a flop, Ellis probably leaves, Vanderdoes has hit the rookie wall

edge rusher- key on defense is putting pressure on the qb 

cb- sean smith and Amerson could both be cut, if a clear blue chip prospect is there, could fill a need 

positions I’ll avoid 

rb- could find a solid back in the mid rounds 

te- Cook was a good pickup, Walford showing signs 

wr- could possibly draft one in mid rounds, but I wouldn’t spend a 1st. Not this year atleast. Crabtree still playing at a high level.. 

mlb- bowman has been playing at a high level since being picked up. Should bring him back 

wlb- James and Morrow have shown promise as starters, let’s see how they finish the season 

s- joseph and Obi were high draft picks and should develop into solid starters 

20 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

We'll see. He has had plenty of opportunity to show the the kind of olinemen he goes after and likes and since we got rid of Bergstom and Veldheer we've come away with -

13 Watson Florida ST 2nd rd

14 Jackson Miss ST 3rd rd

15 Feliciano Mia 4th rd

16 Alexander LSU 7th rd

17 Sharpe Florida 4th

You can try to minamize it by calling them mid rd picks but the proof is in the action. I'm not saying he won't fall in love with someone not in that mold. What I'm saying is past actions have shown that if he were to fall in love with a player it would be from the mold of player he has consistently taken in the past.

I certainly welcome the chance to be wrong. But I'd imagine most of his draft picks were more depth/developmental picks aside from Gabe. 

Seeing a void at LT, I'd be hard pressed to see Reggie not entertain the top guys.

Since we are getting closer to the cap this offseason is going be straight forward and not too many moves.. Reggie really needs to nail this draft 

obvious moves : 

mack- long term extension- have to take care of him.. expect a jumper from 13 m to 22-25 m 

sean smith- cut  starting to play better but I’ll still waive him because of that deal. 9.5 m is elite corner money. Would offset Mack’s increase in salary 

bowman- new 2-3 year deal @ 4-5 million annually 

leaves the raiders with roughly 17m to resign fas and draft class 

Cut cost and let some vets walk: seabass, Nelson, lee smith, Ellis 

look to Resign these guys if they want reasonable deals: Carrie, autry, Manuel 

Draft class would take up 5m in cap space.. Reggie really needs to hit on the draft class.

Could cut Amerson for an upgrade 

could possibly add a free agent starter or two 

With 10m in cap space and a draft 

qb: Carr 

rb: lynch 

fb: olewale 

wr: Cooper, Crabtree 

te: Cook 

t: penn, Newhouse 

g: ko, Jackson 

c: Hudson 

de: Mack, Edwards/Autry 

DT: ???, Vanderdoes?? Not sure if he is a starter

olb: Irvin, James/Morrow 

mlb: bowman 

cb: Conley, ??? 

S: joseph, Obi 

special: Giorgio, king, condo 

Most of the starters in place add a key free agent of two(defense)  with the cap space and Reggie needs  to hit on the draft. Might have 10 picks 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I certainly welcome the chance to be wrong. But I'd imagine most of his draft picks were more depth/developmental picks aside from Gabe. 

Seeing a void at LT, I'd be hard pressed to see Reggie not entertain the top guys.

And Rankins, Jones and Brown are more in his wheel house in that group of top guys then the others.

30 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

And Rankins, Jones and Brown are more in his wheel house in that group of top guys then the others.

See my previous posts on these tackles. If a single one of these guys were taken in round 1 or over the clear top 1, I'd seriously question Reggie's judgement.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

See my previous posts on these tackles. If a single one of these guys were taken in round 1 or over the clear top 1, I'd seriously question Reggie's judgement.

Never said they'd go in the first or before anyone else. Just that they are the type Reggie has shown to draft. I don't think any are being mocked consistently on the first ATM anyway. Brown and Rankin are in a few but they are more 2-3 rd prospects ATM. To counter balance that, I'm pretty sure your drafting instincts have been wrong more than Reggie's, so I won't be to concerned with you're assessment of his judgement.

Archived