Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What's up with Jordan Phillips?  He's got a significantly low PFF score and a significantly high sack total, especially for someone listed at 341 pounds.  Anybody care to shed some light on that? 

I don't treat PFF as Gospel, but for the most part it's usually pretty close to understandable what their grades are, so I'm wondering if he had an Erik Walden 2016 type season where he sold out for sacks and wasn't really doing his job. 

PFF sucks, I use to follow them and realized that their grading was a mess and ranked players poorly. Tre white arguably one of the best corners in the league in 2019 wasnt even in their top 100. Players and coaches including Phillips have publicly bashed this form of grading players, they try to do a science behind it but none of the guys are mathematically correct nor played the sport. It is a bunch of nerds who try to make this a thing but it is failing miserably, as years go on, people are starting to realize more and more there is no real statistical basis behind their scores. 

Phillips has done a solid job for what he has done in the short period of time with the bills. He was decent in Miami but coaching staff put him in a situation where he wanted out prior to that in which they released him. I think he is a solid 3 tech DT and was disruptive last year. He has had issues against the run at times but overall a top DT in the league. He has done so well that he is pricing himself out at being resigned as the bills are firm believers that Ed Oliver will be their guy moving forward. Bills will likely find a cheaper replacement in FA or draft to play behind Oliver moving forward. As for Phillips I wouldn't be surprised if he was 9-10 mil a year contract, he may even settle for a 1 year prove it deal at that price with another team. His interior presence against the pass is what allowed him to have such a great year. 

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I completely agree on the unit being weak but if they felt that Star wasnt going to be the answer I would have assumed they would have cut him to clear 2.3 mil rather then restructuring which keeps him on the team this year by adding more guarantees to his contract that possibly can keep him on the roster next year as he would have a dead cap of 7.7 at that time. Which to me seems like a lot to have if they pay reader the 10+ mil he is going to command. 

3rd LB is still a need even with them being in nickel a lot they need that guy to fill Zo's role and they currently do not have it plus if they draft one it could also mean they have a chance to see if they can replace milano and save that projected 12 mil a year price tag

I think the deal with Star is because Beane doesn't want to go into the draft with any perceived holes so we restructure him to make it more bearable. I also think that is why Trent Murphy ends up coming to TC this year. Reader played quite a bit at 3T last year too so having the movable pieces and depth that Sean likes between Oliver, Reader, Harrison and Star could be pretty beneficial. 

If we want to replace Zo then yes the position is a need. If we want a 3rd LB then I don't see us getting much better then Corey Thompson this season. Who is solid IMO. If we want a guy who rushes the passer a bunch, can cover, defend the run and play DT on 3rd down passes then we need to look high and low because those guys don't come around often. I see us "replacing Zo" with several players at different positions, not just one OLB.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

This Tweet and another where he quoted a player saying Free Agency starts next week with "Yes Sir !!" leads many to believe Shaq will at least test the market and probably go elsewhere. 

That might end up hurting him on the open market. Teams may not see him as an actual starter. If he couldn’t be deemed a “starter” on our team behind an aging Hughes and unproductive Murphy, why would another team think he could start for them?? Unless of course their DE’s are weaker than ours maybe

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Have you guys trading up to 15 for Lamb in my newest mock. Feel Lamb/Brown are the perfect combo. 

Couldnt agree more. Lamb is exactly what this offense needs although with recent talk of Lawson. AJ Epenesa isnt starting to make total sense

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

What's up with Jordan Phillips?  He's got a significantly low PFF score and a significantly high sack total, especially for someone listed at 341 pounds.  Anybody care to shed some light on that? 

I don't treat PFF as Gospel, but for the most part it's usually pretty close to understandable what their grades are, so I'm wondering if he had an Erik Walden 2016 type season where he sold out for sacks and wasn't really doing his job. 

PFF also had Tre White at 15 ir 16 i believe lol

3 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Couldnt agree more. Lamb is exactly what this offense needs although with recent talk of Lawson. AJ Epenesa isnt starting to make total sense

Might be some decent EDGE guys in FA. My mock a couple weeks ago I had you guys getting Higgins in the 1st and Weaver in the 2nd. However, this time I had you trading 1st/2nd to the Broncos for 15 and a 5th and getting Lamb. Brown and Lamb is just an absolute solid WR duo. I think the Bills need to give Allen this in which could he a make or break type season for him. He showed flashes in 2018, and even more flashes in 2019, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. This is the year Allen gets fully evaluated and he should be able to strive with Lamb/Brown. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Yeah if this free agency plays out like I think it will, I'd be all in on Lamb. 

Epenesa or Gross Matos if we stay at 22.

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Might be some decent EDGE guys in FA. My mock a couple weeks ago I had you guys getting Higgins in the 1st and Weaver in the 2nd. However, this time I had you trading 1st/2nd to the Broncos for 15 and a 5th and getting Lamb. Brown and Lamb is just an absolute solid WR duo. I think the Bills need to give Allen this in which could he a make or break type season for him. He showed flashes in 2018, and even more flashes in 2019, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. This is the year Allen gets fully evaluated and he should be able to strive with Lamb/Brown. 

Yea If bills can some how land a pass rusher in free agency I do not see why they couldnt spend a 2nd rd pick to move up to get Lamb or Jeudy. I just dont know if Lamb or Jeudy will last to 15, I could see the Cardinals, Raiders, Jets all looking at them as a wr is a need for them.

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yea If bills can some how land a pass rusher in free agency I do not see why they couldnt spend a 2nd rd pick to move up to get Lamb or Jeudy. I just dont know if Lamb or Jeudy will last to 15, I could see the Cardinals, Raiders, Jets all looking at them as a wr is a need for them.

No way Cards don’t go OT imo. Jets probably go OT as well. Raiders will take Jeudy or Ruggs. Their offense is way too slow to take Lamb. 

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah if this free agency plays out like I think it will, I'd be all in on Lamb. 

Epenesa or Gross Matos if we stay at 22.

You high on these guys? I am just not feeling them and dont see them as a guy who can be an instant impact on defense. This to me is a worse situation then when they drafted Lawson that year. Maybe I just havent been wow'd by them. I like what I saw with Epenesa in the senior bowl then lost interest in him at the combine, last time I saw someone bomb the bench press that was media projected top 5 pick that ended up in the 5th round was Damontre moore

Just now, BayRaider said:

No way Cards don’t go OT imo. Jets probably go OT as well. Raiders will take Jeudy or Ruggs. Their offense is way too slow to take Lamb. 

Who knows what Cards will do as they went in took a qb in the 1st then turned around canned their HC after one year and then drafted a qb 1st overall last year. Media has them pegged as a weapon for them to have long term. Jets are also one of those teams that have no idea what they are doing and could take the best wr in the draft if Jags and Cards take the top olineman. To me it is a toss up for those 3 teams which I can see them grabbing the top 2 wr in the draft. I like Ruggs but not sold on him being a #1 wr he is more of a complimentary #2 as you mentioned a team like Raiders is perfect for them and I can see Gruden wanting that speed paired up with Tyrell.

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

You high on these guys? I am just not feeling them and dont see them as a guy who can be an instant impact on defense. This to me is a worse situation then when they drafted Lawson that year. Maybe I just havent been wow'd by them. I like what I saw with Epenesa in the senior bowl then lost interest in him at the combine, last time I saw someone bomb the bench press that was media projected top 5 pick that ended up in the 5th round was Damontre moore

I don't think AJ is a sexy pick but I think he'll be a very good starter for a long time in the league.

Gross Matos IMO has the potential to be a top 5 DE. McDermott and Eric Washington may be the perfect coaches for him.