2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

??? Somehow PFF made this move about Brandon Williams. 

Don't see that being the case.

I agree with what he said, I think Brockers is a superior 34 DE/DT than Brandon Williams because of the length he brings to the table. However, I don’t think he’s saying that Williams is the inferior player. I think part of the struggles with Williams is he has to sometimes get tall to see the play when he’s going up against OTs or when lined up closer to the edges, causing him to lose some of his natural leverage and that allows for the occasional long run. He’s a natural NT where he can stay low the entire time and really eat all game long, I think these moves will help Williams get back to his peak form by moving him back to NT where he earned his contract and reputation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, the Ravens have very little to gain by that. Williams will be a prominent feature of the defense for at least next season.

In theory they could gain cap space. If they need room, he is a guy they could add a year to the end of his deal (which would line him up with the other 3-year remaining guys: Peters, Young, Thomas, Brockers), which would be his age-33 season.

Additionally, I think Stanley is an extension that could free up a decent amount room. EDC has been very deliberate about flat cap structures, but I'm interested to see if that will hold for long-term cornerstone players. He hasn't signed that six- or seven-year deal yet that could follow a different pattern. If they need room now, I could definitely see guys like Stanley or Hump (different situation, but right type of guy) having more aggressive cap structuring. Those are guys that we're not necessarily interested in being cleared off the books post-Lamar deal and could feasibly be re-worked after a few years to flatten the out-year impacts.

His number for 2020 is ~$13M. On a $120M/6-year $60-80M guarantee deal, the team could do the double-bonus thing they've done in the past to make the impacts something like: 8M - 12M - 20M - 23M - 27M - 30M. That would free up $5M for 2020. Cap is definitely going up in the next few years and you can be a bit more aggressive with the cornerstone guys IMO.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I agree with what he said, I think Brockers is a superior 34 DE/DT than Brandon Williams because of the length he brings to the table. However, I don’t think he’s saying that Williams is the inferior player. I think part of the struggles with Williams is he has to sometimes get tall to see the play when he’s going up against OTs or when lined up closer to the edges, causing him to lose some of his natural leverage and that allows for the occasional long run. He’s a natural NT where he can stay low the entire time and really eat all game long, I think these moves will help Williams get back to his peak form by moving him back to NT where he earned his contract and reputation.

The length, athleticism, flexibility/versatility, and stamina both Brockers and Campbell bring definitely tops that of the Pierce/Williams combo we've been rolling out. Wink can move them around, use them on stunts, and we don't have to be as worried about them getting exhausted(and consequently ineffective) on long drives. It seems like he thinks this is a move to replace Brandon Williams though, not simply a move to switch him to a more natural role while adding another piece, which I disagree with. Maybe I'm wrong and BWill is traded soon, but I don't think that's likely.

• Like 1

We saw how poor our run defense was early on with Williams side lined. Once he came back it was an extreme boost. To say he’s disposable is foolish unless it gained a good amount of cap back. His contract isn’t so friendly for that. 

I believe he will be kept and moved to NT. Don’t see us opening another need unless they are strong about Wormley at DE

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ravens5520 said:

We saw how poor our run defense was early on with Williams side lined. Once he came back it was an extreme boost. To say he’s disposable is foolish unless it gained a good amount of cap back. His contract isn’t so friendly for that. 

I believe he will be kept and moved to NT. Don’t see us opening another need unless they are strong about Wormley at DE

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Could you clarify what you mean by this?

Someone mentioned the thought of Williams being traded. Meaning it moves Brockers to NT and opens up DE spot. The FO might feel Wormley will continue to grow as a key piece at DE to pair with Campbell & Brockers verse Williams being there 

1 hour ago, ravens5520 said:

Quinn was just hella over paid from the Bears,  but in return they have released Leonard Floyd... I’d love to kick the tires there! Floyd was someone I liked during the draft. Can’t see his price being more than a prove it deal

Same. He was an athletic specimen coming out of the draft. He might be a guy that doesn't really fit as a true DE or edge defender. I see him as another guy who would benefit tremendously from Wink's scheme that doesn't focus as much on positional fit, particularly in the front-seven. Similar to Jihad Ward, who was a highly-drafted (second round) guy who didn't quite fit in more traditional roles.

1 hour ago, ravens5520 said:

Someone mentioned the thought of Williams being traded. Meaning it moves Brockers to NT and opens up DE spot. The FO might feel Wormley will continue to grow as a key piece at DE to pair with Campbell & Brockers verse Williams being there 

Got it, thanks for clarifying. I think they keep Wormley for depth/rotational play along with Williams. I'd expect Mack to get a shot to backup Williams as the big boy in the middle of the D.

• Like 1