2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Eh... two different types of guys. JPP has always been an elite athlete. Everson Griffen not so much. He's good but I don't know if a transition to more of a stand-up role is in the cards for him. Especially at age 32. 

Just how many coverage snaps would he have to make though (especially if you are considering him a replacement for Judon)?  Maybe someone with a PFF account can look it up for 2019, but the year prior Suggs had only 14 coverage snaps, so its clear that being the rush OLB doesn't necessarily mean you need to worry about that too much in Wink's defense.

Add in the increasing usage of nickle/dime defenses and Griffen only having played as a 4-3DE is less of an issue in my eyes

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Just how many coverage snaps would he have to make though (especially if you are considering him a replacement for Judon)?  Maybe someone with a PFF account can look it up for 2019, but the year prior Suggs had only 14 coverage snaps, so its clear that being the rush OLB doesn't necessarily mean you need to worry about that too much in Wink's defense.

Add in the increasing usage of nickle/dime defenses and Griffen only having played as a 4-3DE is less of an issue in my eyes

It would still be a significant transition for Griffen though. Especially with Baltimore's defense playing with fewer defensive linemen per snap than most teams that still run base sets/lines (the Vikings do). The Ravens may be in the dime, but it's not a typical DE/DT/DT/DE alignment. Everson would be out in space more often, even if he's still rushing the passer most downs. Not sure that gamble is where I would want to bank my trust in with the relatively small amount of cap room left. 

3 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

It would still be a significant transition for Griffen though. Especially with Baltimore's defense playing with fewer defensive linemen per snap than most teams that still run base sets/lines (the Vikings do). The Ravens may be in the dime, but it's not a typical DE/DT/DT/DE alignment. Everson would be out in space more often, even if he's still rushing the passer most downs. Not sure that gamble is where I would want to bank my trust in with the relatively small amount of cap room left. 

IDK. If you replace Judon or Ferguson with Griffen in this play (and others like it), does Griffin's unfamiliarity with rushing from a stand-up position matter?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NecessaryFirsthandAustraliancurlew-mobile.mp4

30 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

I’ve been thinking about this and trading wormley makes no sense unless a move is in the works Jimmy smith could be it but Clowney makes too much sense

Wormley is in the last year of his contract, and isn't a good player. Passable, sure. Good, no. We don't want to carry a lot of DIs, and we'll definitely be bringing some in through the draft to get younger, stock the pipeline, and hopefully identify some impact options. So it makes sense to get rid of him. Especially after we signed Brockers and Calais, who can and would've replaced Wormley. 

That doesn't mean it wasn't a move to help facilitate another move though.

I don't think Clowney is going to be a Raven, but hopefully another team like the Titans signing him will force the Jets or Seahawks to become more aggressive in their pursuit of Judon. Our FO has to want out from underneath his current cap hit, and signing him long term doesn't line up with their general strategy. They let Mosley go when the price got out of their comfort range. And even with PTSD from watching ZDS go on to be a pass rush force last season, I don't think that's enough for them to stomach paying Judon more per year than a guy like Calais Campbell. Cause that's the kind of money Judon wants.

In Decosta's own words, "We're trying to build a dynasty". Paying a C/C+ rusher 16 Mill+, with so many other Top 5 players on our team needing or having extensions coming their way soon- just doesn't add up. Trading him is so important. Nets us another Day 2 pick, and frees us up to continue maneuvering in FA.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Wormley is in the last year of his contract, and isn't a good player. Passable, sure. Good, no. We don't want to carry a lot of DIs, and we'll definitely be bringing some in through the draft to get younger, stock the pipeline, and hopefully identify some impact options. So it makes sense to get rid of him. Especially after we signed Brockers and Calais, who can and would've replaced Wormley. 

I don't think Clowney is going to be a Raven, but hopefully another team like the Titans signing him will force the Jets or Seahawks to become more aggressive in their pursuit of Judon. Our FO has to want out from underneath his current cap hit, and signing him long term doesn't line up with their general strategy. They let Mosley go when the price got out of their comfort range. And even with PTSD from watching ZDS go on to be a pass rush force last season, I don't think that's enough for them to stomach paying Judon more per year than a guy like Calais Campbell. Cause that's the kind of money Judon wants.

In Decosta's own words, "We're trying to build a dynasty". Paying a C/C+ rusher 16 Mill+, with so many other Top 5 players on our team needing or having extensions coming their way soon- just doesn't add up. Trading him is so important. Nets us another Day 2 pick, and frees us up to continue maneuvering in FA.

Couldn't agree more.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yeah it sounds more likely to me that this move with Judon was about obtaining draft picks. As we saw with the other tweet that stated these franchise tags and trade moves are generally moves reserved for the long game.

So knowing that, we have to assume that the front office not only knew that as well, but accounted for it in its plan. What happens roughly one month after the start of free agency? The NFL draft. Thus the most logical assumption to be made is that the front office never intended to deal Judon quickly, they knew the long game would be present. Opposing teams interested in him would have to see their UFA options largely dry up, they would have to increase desperation, and then they would need time to negotiate a deal with Judon to get him to sign his tender. All of those things require time.

For a big name FA like Clowney that time is not something that is on his favor. The longer he waits to sign, the less money that will to his way. I’m sure he’s already lost money as he’s weighed out these options. Can’t anticipate that he would be willing to wait the amount of time required for us to trade Judon and free our cap space back up.

Which then might beg the question. If the Judon cap maneuver is about the long game, if we trade him we would open up significant cap space, but closer towards the draft... well after the FA market has largely started to dry up.

If the above logic holds true for what the Ravens anticipate/are planning, I have to wonder if there isn’t some sort of cap casualty we believe could still hit the market or some sort of trade that would be fruitful.

... and next time on Dragon 🐉 Ball Z....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Interesting, seems like there's a fair number of LBs getting paid in FA this past week. Perhaps his market isn't close to what he was expecting? Not interested in significant $$ or significant length of contract, but if he's open to coming back on a cheap pillow deal (perhaps a bit humbled, and hungry) to re-establish his value for next offseason, I'd welcome him.

Edited by sp6488

20 hours ago, drd23 said:

IDK. If you replace Judon or Ferguson with Griffen in this play (and others like it), does Griffin's unfamiliarity with rushing from a stand-up position matter?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NecessaryFirsthandAustraliancurlew-mobile.mp4

Probably not. I still question his effectiveness in doing so though. The Ravens need to make a solid move to upgrade the edge, and I'm not a believer in Griffen being the one to do it. Clowney needs to sign so the rest of the dominoes can fall.  

I'm not against bringing Onwuasor back either. The dude has the ability to make plays - he's shown that. Putting Patrick behind a stalwart defensive line is only going to help get him back to that level. Also, like AFlaccoSeagulls said, playing him back at the JLB/WILB/whatever you want to call it would be nice too. Some guys thrive in certain roles and that seems to be it for Onwuasor. 

At this point, I feel pretty sure Judon is going to be a Raven for 2020 at least. Doesn't seem like we are even sniffing around Clowney, like us fans thought we might. 

Especially with the abbreviated offseason putting more emphasis on continuity, I don't see us deciding to trade him for a mid-round pick in our current stage of contention.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1