Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

On 2/22/2024 at 6:53 PM, Mr.UFO said:

I think Jackson Powers-Johnson [C, Or] is going in the first round. DTs aren't used to going against centers of his size.

You better be damn sure he is an elite center, because positional versatility is a must if you want to be drafted high.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You better be damn sure he is an elite center, because positional versatility is a must if you want to be drafted high.

JPJ has also played guard for the Ducks.

We only have two days until the Combine!

Edited by Mr.UFO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

JPJ has also played guard for the Ducks.

I was speaking more in general with regards to IOL.  Since 2015, the only pure IOL (i.e. no real belief that they can play OT) to be drafted in the first round were Laken Tomlinson, Josh Garnett, Quenton Nelson, Chris Windstorm, Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, Cole Strange, Cameron Erving, Ryan Kelly, Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, Garrett Bradbury, Cesar Ruiz, and Tyler Linderbaum.  That's on average about 2 IOL per year.  And it's been a relatively mixed bag as far as results go on that position in the first round.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I was speaking more in general with regards to IOL.  Since 2015, the only pure IOL (i.e. no real belief that they can play OT) to be drafted in the first round were Laken Tomlinson, Josh Garnett, Quenton Nelson, Chris Windstorm, Kenyon Green, Zion Johnson, Cole Strange, Cameron Erving, Ryan Kelly, Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, Garrett Bradbury, Cesar Ruiz, and Tyler Linderbaum.  That's on average about 2 IOL per year.  And it's been a relatively mixed bag as far as results go on that position in the first round.

If we get really specific, every position in that round will prove to be a mixed bag.

I do know that virtually all of the scouts I respect are huge fans of JPJ.
I do think he’ll creep into the 1st round. For me his absolute floor is about pick 40. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

If we get really specific, every position in that round will prove to be a mixed bag.

I do know that virtually all of the scouts I respect are huge fans of JPJ.
I do think he’ll creep into the 1st round. For me his absolute floor is about pick 40. 

And pretty much the same thing was being said about John Michael Schmitz last year, and he ended up going 57th.  I'm not saying that he won't go in the first round, but I don't think he's any different than any of the other IOL that end up going Day 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And pretty much the same thing was being said about John Michael Schmitz last year, and he ended up going 57th.  I'm not saying that he won't go in the first round, but I don't think he's any different than any of the other IOL that end up going Day 2.

There was a lot of hype for Schmitz post-Senior bowl last year, that’s true.

I feel like JPJs tape is more impressive and some guys were on him before the Senior bowl even. 
But it’s not a “premium” position so I could be wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel very confident that Chicago is taking Williams at 1 and Washington is taking Maye at 2. I also feel very confident that New England is staying put at 3 and taking a QB, but I don't know which one (Daniels or McCarthy).

I think the Cardinals, who already own 2 first round picks this year, are going to be very happy to sit at 4 and take MHJr. I think he's their guy.

I think that 4th QB is going to be the one teams are clamoring to trade up for, and I think the sweet spot is going to be 5 with the Chargers. The Giants, Vikings, Broncos, and Falcons are going to be the big players there. The Giants have an attractive offer with the Chargers being able to take the guy they would take at 5 anyway guaranteed. The Vikings, Broncos, and Falcons may offer more compensation to counteract that advantage.

So all that said, my prediction right now for the top 10:

1 Chicago- Caleb Williams

2 Washington- Drake Maye

3 New England- JJ McCarthy

4 Arizona- Marvin Harrison Jr

5 *TRADE* New York Giants- Jayden Daniels

6 LA Chargers- Joe Alt

7 Tennessee- Malik Nabers

8 Atlanta- Laiatu Latu

9 Chicago- Rome Odunze

10 New York Jets- Olu Fashanu

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I feel very confident that Chicago is taking Williams at 1 and Washington is taking Maye at 2. I also feel very confident that New England is staying put at 3 and taking a QB, but I don't know which one (Daniels or McCarthy).

I think the Cardinals, who already own 2 first round picks this year, are going to be very happy to sit at 4 and take MHJr. I think he's their guy.

I think that 4th QB is going to be the one teams are clamoring to trade up for, and I think the sweet spot is going to be 5 with the Chargers. The Giants, Vikings, Broncos, and Falcons are going to be the big players there. The Giants have an attractive offer with the Chargers being able to take the guy they would take at 5 anyway guaranteed. The Vikings, Broncos, and Falcons may offer more compensation to counteract that advantage.

So all that said, my prediction right now for the top 10:

1 Chicago- Caleb Williams

2 Washington- Drake Maye

3 New England- JJ McCarthy

4 Arizona- Marvin Harrison Jr

5 *TRADE* New York Giants- Jayden Daniels

6 LA Chargers- Joe Alt

7 Tennessee- Malik Nabers

8 Atlanta- Laiatu Latu

9 Chicago- Rome Odunze

10 New York Jets- Olu Fashanu

Why so confident in Maye to WSH?

4 minutes ago, Wentz you dog you said:

Why so confident in Maye to WSH?

Recent reports are that Washington has received calls about trading back, but have 0 interest and have zero'd in on a QB. Maye is easily the QB with the least question marks outside of Williams. Daniels has a potential size issue and makes some really dumb decisions with the ball in his hands, and McCarthy is a projection. Maye reportedly had great interviews at the combine and looked good physically. These reports are coming out right on the heels of the combine finishing up. I'm putting 2 and 2 together alongside with my gut feeling.

It's also what was predicted all along in this draft process until recently, that Williams and Maye were 1 and 2, and when you have sure things like that, media drums up made up controversy to increase intrigue around the draft.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

This woul be....astounding. And I like JJ McCarthy.

I think JJ is a lock to be a top 6 pick. Top 3 wouldn't be a huge jump up from that.

I really, really think Daniels size, when factoring in his playing style, is a concern. If he weighs in over 205 AND still tests well at his pro day, I'd feel much more confident placing him 3rd. Right now though, I think it is a toss up.

Just now, minutemancl said:

I think JJ is a lock to be a top 6 pick. Top 3 wouldn't be a huge jump up from that.

I really, really think Daniels size, when factoring in his playing style, is a concern. If he weighs in over 205 AND still tests well at his pro day, I'd feel much more confident placing him 3rd. Right now though, I think it is a toss up.

The fact that JJ barely threw college passes strikes me as more of a concern than a guy measuring in 10 pounds under what is considered the norm.

Like I said, I am a JJ McCarthy believer, but Jayden Daniels is significantly better as a prospect.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

The fact that JJ barely threw college passes strikes me as more of a concern than a guy measuring in 10 pounds under what is considered the norm.

Like I said, I am a JJ McCarthy believer, but Jayden Daniels is significantly better as a prospect.

Not just 10 pounds under the norm. We're talking about him being the lightest 1st round QB EVER. He would be only the 8th QB since 1970 drafted AT ALL under 200 pounds. Bryce Young was small, but he still measured out at the combine and was 204. Kyler Murray was small, but he still measured out at the combine and was 207. If Daniels was at that weight, he would have measured out at the combine. The fact that he didn't has people concerned he's lighter than 200 pounds, which at 6'3"+ (he's listed at 6'4" on LSU's team site, and those tend to add an inch or so), that is a huge concern regarding his durability in the NFL.

• Like 1

Just now, minutemancl said:

Not just 10 pounds under the norm. We're talking about him being the lightest 1st round QB EVER.

I could care less. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but weight for a QB is nice...but it's about the 30th most important thing to me.  I don't like projecting injuries in general, especially with someone who hasn't had any major issues. He was one of the most wreckless running QB's I've ever seen in college and his body held up fine.