Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think you view Fields as a buy-low option for New England (or any other team).  You take him and see if a change in supporting cast and situation will allow him to succeed.  I think that could be something that is of serious interest to New England.  I could see a scenario in which they trade their pick to NY Giants for their pick (#6) and a combination of picks and future picks, and then go and grab a WR at 6 like Nabers or Odunze.  And then they traded a 3rd for Fields and a 5th or something along those lines.

that is what I was thinking.  Unless NE is high enough on this group of QB to take either Maye or Daniels after WAS takes 1 of them.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Fit absolutely is part of the evaluation process.  You can think Drake Maye is the more talented QB but if you think Jayden Daniels is more likely to be successful with Kilff as your OC, you take Daniels.

I think tailoring a very highly selected QB to your OC is a bad idea. What happens if in 2 or 3 years Kliff gets fired or goes to be a head coach somewhere? Do you limit yourself to picking only someone who runs a similar offense? You should always tailor your scheme to the players, not the other way around. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think tailoring a very highly selected QB to your OC is a bad idea. What happens if in 2 or 3 years Kliff gets fired or goes to be a head coach somewhere? Do you limit yourself to picking only someone who runs a similar offense? You should always tailor your scheme to the players, not the other way around. 

How many QBs are mediocre under 1 OC, and then when the team hires a new one they suddenly "figure" things out.  The closest comparison would be Daniel Jones, and so far that's only been a 1 season thing.  If you move on from your coach, you're likely moving on from your QB.  See Justin Fields in Chicago.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

How many QBs are mediocre under 1 OC, and then when the team hires a new one they suddenly "figure" things out.  The closest comparison would be Daniel Jones, and so far that's only been a 1 season thing.  If you move on from your coach, you're likely moving on from your QB.  See Justin Fields in Chicago.

I was going to say Goff but seeing how he's doing in Detroit, I think its more a matter of going from a bad/inflexible OC to a good/adaptable one.

I was certain the Commanders were going Maye at 2. I maintained that even through all the rumors immediately following me expressing that thought that predicted the Commanders going Daniels at 2. 

Washington signing Mariota today is the most tangible evidence I've seen that they prefer Daniels at 2, and I'm definitely doubting myself now.

On 3/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, CWood21 said:

If you move on from your coach, you're likely moving on from your QB.  See Justin Fields in Chicago.

Tua Dolphins, Lawrence Jags, Herbert Chargers, probably Levis Titans, technically Hurts Eagles, probably Bryce Panthers, probably Geno Seattle, Kyler Cardinals. That’s just in the current NFL.

The Bears sent a huge offensive contingency to Oregon's pro day, including Eberflus and OC Shane Waldron. Were they just there for JPJ? WR and OL coaches were also there. Nobody else sent this many people. Do they like Troy Franklin that much? There's no way it was for Bo Nix, right?

On 3/12/2024 at 3:08 PM, minutemancl said:

I was certain the Commanders were going Maye at 2. I maintained that even through all the rumors immediately following me expressing that thought that predicted the Commanders going Daniels at 2. 

Washington signing Mariota today is the most tangible evidence I've seen that they prefer Daniels at 2, and I'm definitely doubting myself now.

So quiet on Maye, that my guess is now that the league likes him more than are willing to let on. 

Just now, goldfishwars said:

So quiet on Maye, that my guess is now that the league likes him more than are willing to let on. 

It's so widespread though. I can't remember another time like this where a top QB prospect was unanimously talked down on by everyone for no reason.

Is there anything out of Patriots camp specifically on Maye? How about out of Commanders camp?

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Bears sent a huge offensive contingency to Oregon's pro day, including Eberflus and OC Shane Waldron. Were they just there for JPJ? WR and OL coaches were also there. Nobody else sent this many people. Do they like Troy Franklin that much? There's no way it was for Bo Nix, right?

There are a lot of Oregon players to look at though, even discounting Nix.  There's JPJ, Khyree Jackson, Irving, Dorlus, and of course Franklin.  And you probably want to do your due diligence on Nix, in case someone is offering a king's ransom to move to 1, and you have to at least consider it.

54 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Troy Franklin would make a ton of sense. He's one of the top deep threats in this draft and would pair well with DJ Moore at WR. Especially considering they just lost Mooney. 

50 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It's so widespread though. I can't remember another time like this where a top QB prospect was unanimously talked down on by everyone for no reason.

Is there anything out of Patriots camp specifically on Maye? How about out of Commanders camp?

It can happen, though - remember how much noise there was around Levis at this point last year and he didn't even go first round. 

Just that they've met up and enjoyed their meetings. Eliot Wolf comes from GB school of scouting and might be lower on Daniels based on size thresholds which is something to consider. 

11 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It can happen, though - remember how much noise there was around Levis at this point last year and he didn't even go first round. 

Just that they've met up and enjoyed their meetings. Eliot Wolf comes from GB school of scouting and might be lower on Daniels based on size thresholds which is something to consider. 

That's the opposite though, right? It's easy to try and elevate a prospect you aren't actually interested in to the media to get someone else to bite. It's much harder to get literally everyone to not talk about a prospect, like what seems to be the case with Maye. Maybe the JJ talk is that? But I genuinely like McCarthy and I believe that other teams genuinely like him too.

It's all very confusing. The simple answer is Williams 1, Maye 2, so that's probably how it actually goes in the end.

Just now, minutemancl said:

That's the opposite though, right? It's easy to try and elevate a prospect you aren't actually interested in to the media to get someone else to bite. It's much harder to get literally everyone to not talk about a prospect, like what seems to be the case with Maye. Maybe the JJ talk is that? But I genuinely like McCarthy and I believe that other teams genuinely like him too.

It's all very confusing. The simple answer is Williams 1, Maye 2, so that's probably how it actually goes in the end.

So comparison I was making was how much noise there is about Jayden Daniels going 2 compared Drake Maye, where not much is being said. Reminds me a little of Levis being linked to the top teams last year. In my mind, it feels like the lack of conversation around Maye makes me feel like genuinely interested teams don't want to let it on.