The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

2 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

99% of guys talk trash prefight to bump up intrigue and sales....UFC promotions have pretty much taken the WWE route for hyping fights and creating animosity.

I could completely understand the guy celebrating within reason...but hopping on the cage, nonstop talking about himself and how he proved everyone wrong, with the way it ended, just makes him seem like he was surprised he won tbh, and can't hold in his excitement, doesn't know how to deal with it, so he's coming off like huge d-bag.

I am in no way saying his win doesn't count btw....it's a legitimate win, and good for him. 

It definitely counts. Blowing out your knee and losing does mean you lose, cant take that away but this is the worst thing that could’ve happened for the UFC because:

1. They lose Suga to injury for a long time and his star will have to wait

2. Chito wont get backed as the guy that stopped the Suga show

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It definitely counts. Blowing out your knee and losing does mean you lose, cant take that away but this is the worst thing that could’ve happened for the UFC because:

1. They lose Suga to injury for a long time and his star will have to wait

2. Chito wont get backed as the guy that stopped the Suga show

in no way would i classify this as the worst thing that could happen for the ufc. O'malleys talented but he had a long, long way to go. His level of competition thus far has been pretty bad. And that division is pretty stacked. If the UFC is just looking for a talented guy with personality, there was one on the same card. Merab is going to be a problem for a lot of people... 

32 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

in no way would i classify this as the worst thing that could happen for the ufc. O'malleys talented but he had a long, long way to go. His level of competition thus far has been pretty bad. And that division is pretty stacked. If the UFC is just looking for a talented guy with personality, there was one on the same card. Merab is going to be a problem for a lot of people... 

I just meant regarding that 1 fight because the 2 most likely scenarios and end results were:

Sean beats a step up in competition in Chito thus grows his hype train

or

Chito beats Sean, and his hype train goes off like a rocket ship because he beat Suga

Chito winning the way he did does nothing to help the promotion in a fight where most outcomes were good news for them

6 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I agree, you can paint this as O'Malley being felled by an unlucky injury, as opposed to if he was dominated over 3 rounds, or finished clean. I like O'Malley's still going to carry a lot of hype into his next fight because of how this one played out. It's not like he was exposed.

It did look like Chito caused the injury. He hit him with a kick right by the knee, which John Kavanaugh and others are saying hit a nerve that pretty much shuts down the link between your brain and foot. Same thing it seems that happened to Cejudo in the 2nd DJ fight.

That being said, think there was an element of fortune that the kick landed right on the perfect spot. Wouldn't surprise me if a rematch gets set up at some time in the future, depending on how both guys' next fights play out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So is he retired or moving to HW? Seems like a bad time to move to HW because he shouldn't get the title shot...right?

I thought I read he was in talks for a move up.  He should fight blaydes or rozenstreik to fight the winner of stipe v ngannou.

Edited by big poppa pump
They should test him weekly for ped's.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:14 PM, Buckrock101 said:

I agree, you can paint this as O'Malley being felled by an unlucky injury, as opposed to if he was dominated over 3 rounds, or finished clean. I like O'Malley's still going to carry a lot of hype into his next fight because of how this one played out. It's not like he was exposed.

It did look like Chito caused the injury. He hit him with a kick right by the knee, which John Kavanaugh and others are saying hit a nerve that pretty much shuts down the link between your brain and foot. Same thing it seems that happened to Cejudo in the 2nd DJ fight.

That being said, think there was an element of fortune that the kick landed right on the perfect spot. Wouldn't surprise me if a rematch gets set up at some time in the future, depending on how both guys' next fights play out.

I am always going to root for my home town kid in O'Malley. I have watched him from his 1st pro fight and see the talent. He lost and it was kinda fluky even if that kick did hit the nerve but take nothing away form chito cuz he is a very good prospect himself. Obviously im a bit biased but was not a fan of how he acted afterwards but he won so do what you please cuz you earned it.

I dont see an immediate rematch but I do see them meeting up again down the line. Both will pushing for top soon enough and if Sean can get the next one there will be a triology in time. Chito is onto a top 10 challenge and Sean will need to heal and keep getting better like he did over the last couple years he wasnt in the cage. 135 is going to be legit for a long time with they youth of all its talent.

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)