The MMA Thread | Conor vs Chandler at UFC 303 at 170 lbs (June 29th)

beekay414

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

We're talking about some turd that just took up boxing within the last couple years vs a guy that has been an elite mma athlete, with terrible striking skills.

I'm gonna go with the elite athlete, that will train like a madman to not be embarrassed.

Is he an elite athlete still though? just had hip surgery and retired. Didnt think he was still working out and if he was he hasn't put on boxing gloves in forever

4 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

We're talking about some turd that just took up boxing within the last couple years vs a guy that has been an elite mma athlete, with terrible striking skills.

I'm gonna go with the elite athlete, that will train like a madman to not be embarrassed.

nate robinson is an elite athlete with prob more striking training than askren

idk how you could watch ben throw punches and think he spent any of his time on learning striking 

45 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

nate robinson is an elite athlete with prob more striking training than askren

idk how you could watch ben throw punches and think he spent any of his time on learning striking 

Nate Robinson had striking training?????

Ben shouldn't try to roll outta bed on a Saturday, after pounding junk food for the next few months, but he should be able to get his boxing skills together in time to beat that jabroni.

41 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So what happens if Costa beats Whittaker? Do you give Costa the next title shot? Who the heck else would he fight and who would Izzy fight to defend his MW strap? Robert losing would be terrible for the division as he is obviously the #1 guy and him losing makes the gap between Izzy and the #1 contender very murky

They booked Till vs Vettori on April 10th. The winner of that would get the shot in that case.

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

They booked Till vs Vettori on April 10th. The winner of that would get the shot in that case.

I could get on board with Vettori but Till has an uninspired performance vs Gastelum and a close loss to Whittaker. I feel like him beating Vettori still puts him in this weird spot kind of like Costa beating Whittaker

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I could get on board with Vettori but Till has an uninspired performance vs Gastelum and a close loss to Whittaker. I feel like him beating Vettori still puts him in this weird spot kind of like Costa beating Whittaker

Till also hasn't fought Izzy. A close loss to Bobby isn't going to stop them from putting Till in a title fight. 

21 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Absolutely, classic striker v grappler

Might seem that way on the surface, but I disagree.

You've got a super underrated grappler in Dustin, vs a super underrated striker in Charlie Olives. At this point in their careers, both are very well-rounded fighters.

I think of it more as a pure finisher vs a durable, resilient, 5-round fighter. Think Olives has the better finishing instincts, but Poirier has more of a chance to break him the longer the fight goes.

Really love the idea of this matchup. I hope it gets made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Am i foolish for thinking Overeem beats Volkov? I see he’s a small dog. I feel like if he uses his wrestling like he did vs Sakai he should have success

Not foolish at all. Overeem's on a hell of a run right now, looking great. 4 wins of his last 5, all finishes. Could have 5 in a row if he lasted 5 seconds longer (story of my life).

I think it could go either way. Think it's a bit of a bad matchup for Volkov tbh. He doesn't throw that one-punch power that I feel like you need to beat the Reem. Not sure Volkov's volume-centric strategy is going to work against someone as experienced and as technical as Overeem.

• Like 1